Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 02-23-2009, 05:22 PM   #29
Supermans
Camaro & Stang Enthusiast

Drives: 2011 Mustang 5.0 in Kona Blue
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragoneye View Post
All pistons are always moving. And the fuel/valves deactivate two cylinders in each bank. No worries about wear.
This shows how much I know. Thanks for the explanation..
Old 02-23-2009, 06:00 PM   #30
CamaroSpike23
Truth Enforcer

Drives: anything I can get my hands on
Send a message via Yahoo to CamaroSpike23
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragoneye View Post
All pistons are always moving. And the fuel/valves deactivate two cylinders in each bank. No worries about wear.
yes and no. there is a minute amount of wear to worry about, but only on the cyls that are still firing. however, i dont see it being a big problem at all considering that afm will only be active for ~20% of the time (average)
Originally Posted by BowtieGuy View Post
Nobody makes CamaroSpike happy. You just disgust him a little less than other people.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WheelmanSS View Post
Post count is truly an accurate measure of how cool someone is on the Internet.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Norris View Post
I piss excellence
and fart awesomeness
"You can think I'm wrong, but that's no reason to quit thinking.”
Quote:
Originally Posted by Overflow View Post
But not all people were born awesome like you, Spike.
CamaroSpike23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2009, 02:10 PM   #31
Rahn
Tinman

Drives: 07 Sky - 10 Camaro SS2
Ok, after reading all this info on the two I am still divided on what to purchase.

First the manual has more horsey's for bragging points but a slower 0-60, but quicker 1/4 mile. Granted I will most likely not be pushing this car over 100 very often, live too close to the state patrol.

Manual will save about a grand

Manual has less weight and fewer parts to break, and is just plain fun to drive, but I'm not keeping this car forever, probably a couple of years or till I get board with it and find something newer & shinier...

Where as....

The Auto cost more, probably prone to failures due to complexity

The Auto is really the daily commuter which this will be for me...though this car is hardly a commuter

The Auto does have Tap shifts so that could alleviate some of the manual shifting needs I would have.

The Auto has remote start...Pointless gimmick IMO that I could easily do without.

Autos generally have better resale as a majority of women prefer not to shift. (Insert your own Freud reference here.)

I originally wanted a Manual 'cause... it's a manual... and this is a car to race...but then I teetered to the Auto as I wont be racing often and I can let my female friends drive it and I'm sill under the impression Autos are better in the winter, though my best friend disagrees. He wants me to get a manual but he's biased. One female friend suggests the Auto, the other the manual, and the third says it's up to me. I love her Sigh...

Anyway....not that any of you care what I get after all this blatherskite. I still would appreciate any more incite on these two engines.

That and I just needed to vent on what is seemingly a simple decision. Now if I would just grow some balls and choose.

The only mods I plan on are the CAI and probably an X-pipe with obnoxious loudmouth exhaust...oh and maybe a tuning re-flash if necessary.

Last edited by Rahn; 03-22-2009 at 08:26 PM.
Rahn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2009, 02:32 PM   #32
CamaroSpike23
Truth Enforcer

Drives: anything I can get my hands on
Send a message via Yahoo to CamaroSpike23
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rahn View Post
That and I just needed to vent on what is seemingly a simple decision. Now if I would just grow some ball and choose.

The only mods I plan on are the CAI and probably an X-pipe with obnoxious loudmouth exhaust...oh and maybe a tuning re-flash if necessary.
grow some ball? must be a big one if you only need one....

seriously tho, either one will be a great car. both will respond well to mods. if all you are planning is intake/exhaust and using the car as a commuter with other people who might be driving the car, I suggest the auto. I know the old addage goes "more parts = more parts to break" and thats very true, but it shouldnt scare you away from the auto. I say flip a coin. heads= auto, tails= manual. and if it lands on edge, you have to give me your car.
Originally Posted by BowtieGuy View Post
Nobody makes CamaroSpike happy. You just disgust him a little less than other people.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WheelmanSS View Post
Post count is truly an accurate measure of how cool someone is on the Internet.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Norris View Post
I piss excellence
and fart awesomeness
"You can think I'm wrong, but that's no reason to quit thinking.”
Quote:
Originally Posted by Overflow View Post
But not all people were born awesome like you, Spike.
CamaroSpike23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2009, 08:36 PM   #33
Rahn
Tinman

Drives: 07 Sky - 10 Camaro SS2
Quote:
Originally Posted by CamaroSpike23 View Post
grow some ball? must be a big one if you only need one....

seriously tho, either one will be a great car. both will respond well to mods. if all you are planning is intake/exhaust and using the car as a commuter with other people who might be driving the car, I suggest the auto. I know the old addage goes "more parts = more parts to break" and thats very true, but it shouldnt scare you away from the auto. I say flip a coin. heads= auto, tails= manual. and if it lands on edge, you have to give me your car.

Nope not a horse Need two, always carry a spare..
(S added now)

So...let fate decide...not a bad Idea, that should confuse the dealer.
Rahn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2010, 03:16 PM   #34
SGOS252382

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by TT View Post
so a year later, how are the LS3 V L99 camparing.
Wow, I started this thread 3 months before I got my Camaro back in February of 2009.

Now (1 1/2 years later) its pretty obvious that the LS3 M6 has an advantage over the L99 A6. It's mostly in the 80mph+ range. The L99 A6 will usually beat an LS3 M6 off the line and up to about 60mph. Then the LS3 M6s power advantage will take over. By about 80mph or so, the LS3 will be passing the L99 and end up beat it by a couple tenths or so in the 1/4 mile.

That's based on a SKILLED DRIVER behind the wheel of the LS3. With the average Joe behind the wheel, the L99 A6 will win most drag races mostly because its easier to launch and it gets off the line faster on average.

But all the L99 needs is a tune. The L99 A6 is truely a high 12 sec car with just a tune. Without a tune, its more of a low 13 sec car. The LS3 M6 is truely a high 12 sec car with a skilled driver.
SGOS252382 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2010, 03:55 PM   #35
Camaro54

Drives: Camaro SS2/RS orange/black stripes
I'm an older guy and didn't want to fight the clutch all the time. I had my doubts also at first if I was making the right dicission. I got the auto and have been very pleased with it. I don't baby this car. A couple of months ago I took a ride with a guy who had a manual. It just looked like a lot of work driving around town working that clutch all the time. I can put mine in D and just sit back and cruise and enjoy and the wife is happier too. Later when I'm by myself I can pull it back in M where it's tuned more aggressive and play hard. Then I can take it a step further by using the tapshift which is really cool. I've had my L99 now for 10 months and have added mods several times. I have to say the car has responded very well each time and at this time is 550rwhp. I have never regretted my decission.

For the ones who say there are more moving parts to break with the A6 I say take a vote and see who has been breaking more parts. I think you'll see the M6 guys tend to on harder on their parts than the A6s since the auto is easier on the drivetrain than dumping the clutch at 3000rpm. Also I THINK I HAVE HEARD the clutches seem to be the first thing that needs to upgraded when more hp is added. Now I THINK I HAVE ALSO HEARD that those A6s are still holding at over 600rwhp. This not a debate just some food for thought. I LIKE MY AUTO AND IT'LL STILL GET 40FT OF RUBBER IN 2ND GEAR EVERYTIME. I'm having a great time with my car. I think you'll by very happy with the L99/A6.
Camaro54 is offline   Reply With Quote