Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 05-22-2018, 03:51 PM   #1
Swerve69

Drives: Sinister SS
Onstar / Compass Help

Hey there, I noticed some time back that my compass wasn't working --. Upon further investigation there's no Onstar or lights working on rearview mirror (2010 model). The buttons on mirror don't work, however the dimming feature still works. I've tried pulling a fuse and driving in circles which didn't solve the problem. I believe it may have stopped working after the windshield was replaced a few years back. It seems that there's no power getting to Onstar, so not sure how I'd fix something like this. Any suggestions.. dealer could look at but would have to pay hourly rate to fix something that is next to useless (other than compass) anyway? thanks
Old 05-22-2018, 10:41 PM   #2
BIO-HAZARD
INFECTED

Drives: 2011 1LT Synergy Green
Quote:
Originally Posted by Swerve69 View Post
Hey there, I noticed some time back that my compass wasn't working --. Upon further investigation there's no Onstar or lights working on rearview mirror (2010 model). The buttons on mirror don't work, however the dimming feature still works. I've tried pulling a fuse and driving in circles which didn't solve the problem. I believe it may have stopped working after the windshield was replaced a few years back. It seems that there's no power getting to Onstar, so not sure how I'd fix something like this. Any suggestions.. dealer could look at but would have to pay hourly rate to fix something that is next to useless (other than compass) anyway? thanks

I have a 2011. My compass quit working & on star quit working in 2012 . I tried everything you did also , didn't work . Went tto the dealer and they wanted to rip out the dash and glove box and maybe the head liner and check the antenna . I said to heck with that , I don't use the on star any ways and I know my direction . I just left it .

Sorry , I know how you feel . good luck fixing it for less then $300 . between hourly rate and a new on-star module . Just not worth it in my eyes ...
BIO-HAZARD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2018, 10:53 PM   #3
Rahnok
Fish Poop Aficionado

Drives: 2015 2LS SIM
I’m no expert, but it sounds like something is wrong with the wiring to the antenna. You could take the head liner off and check the wiring from there or check the connections under the cover to the rear view mirror.
Old 05-23-2018, 12:31 PM   #4
Grey2ss

Drives: 2015 Camaro 2ss
I had this happen about 3 months ago. I noticed my onstar lights were off (maybe they were always off). Since I was heading on a 1500 mile road trip I wanted to try the free trial.

I disconnected the battery and the next morning everything was on with no problems.

Just remember not to shut the trunk. I shut the trunk and learned no key lock. It was like the story Goldilocks and the Three Bears getting someone to fit thru the back seat to pop it open and reconnect the battery.
Grey2ss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2018, 09:48 PM   #5
CamaroFred

Drives: Miss Con Ception
Since the doors must have been unlocked you could open the hood and even a small battery charger or a jump will make the trunk release work.