Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 12-06-2017, 04:05 PM   #1
Lsx_Matt

Drives: 2012 Camaro 2ss
Info needed

With my cam swap im going to change the timing chain. K see most people talk of a c5r chain. In my kit built by texas speed they added the ls2 chain. Is one better than the other or is the ls2 just fine. Also melling oil pumps. I know the subject is beat to death but not many clear testimonies for the l99 engine like mine. My car has 100xxx miles. While im in there I have 0 issues changing. Some people say l99 oil pump is good stock. Personally i like peace of mind. Im the tsp kit he added the high pressure pump. Is that correct or do i need the high volume. Thanks in advance -matt
Lsx_Matt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2017, 04:25 PM   #2
Punisher_ATX

Drives: 2010 SS
High Volume is a BAD idea. Will suck the oil pan dry. The LS2 chain is good for 90% of builds and i run one in my personal car at over 700hp and 7500rpms. Now if you wanted an upgrade alot of people switch to a Rollmaster Timing Set and the IWIS chain that comes with it. Same company makes their chain that makes the c5r chain. Honestly never been one to spend money on the c5r as I have never seen an ls2 break on its own.
Punisher_ATX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2017, 06:27 AM   #3
Lsx_Matt

Sounds good. Thanks
Old 12-07-2017, 06:21 PM   #4
christianchevell
old school chevy rodder

Drives: 2013 2SS/RS Manual,DM exhaust,CRT
You want the higher volume it does not run dry on your wet sump with 8 quarts,its not the higher pressure pump, but higher pressure readings results anyway from the increased volume, TSP even I believe ports out a pump also if desired.

Most on the building of a ls3 agree its pump is not as good as the increased volume pump of the l99, personally I also run Driven racing oil ls30, and a c5r chain because I just wanted the best out there , so for a difference in opinion.

Keeping adequate top end lubrication is essential for a good LS engine to last IMO. Increased stresses put on springs, rockers, pushrods and lifters are helped by adequate lubrication, and many doing the l99 never change out their pump, volume good : high pressure not so much basically.....Is my understanding, and most places offering up cams of course offer higher volume pumps. http://www.phastekperformance.com/20...pump-10355.htm People who run different engines for different reasons built different ways may desire pressure say to plumb some turbos with high pressure or what ever but most just go more volume to help being cammed. LS2 chains can be good though it in how tough the single roller is made basically also IMO....

Last edited by christianchevell; 12-07-2017 at 06:32 PM.
christianchevell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2017, 07:04 PM   #5
Clarkstar

Drives: 2013 1SS 1LE
I got the melling 10296, high volume with my tsp stage 4 kit. Very happy with the pump, never run the pan dry.
2013 1le- Katech 416 short block, TSP custom grind cam, LOD intake, cnc heads by F.ED., Nick William's 102mm T.B., CORN fed, Pedders coilovers. Performance street alingnment by Justin at Lake Country Alignment and dyno tune by Late Model Throttle.

603 h.p. 495 ft lbs tq.
Clarkstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2017, 07:39 PM   #6
0331Marine

Drives: 2012 SS/RS MN6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Punisher_ATX View Post
High Volume is a BAD idea. Will suck the oil pan dry. The LS2 chain is good for 90% of builds and i run one in my personal car at over 700hp and 7500rpms. Now if you wanted an upgrade alot of people switch to a Rollmaster Timing Set and the IWIS chain that comes with it. Same company makes their chain that makes the c5r chain. Honestly never been one to spend money on the c5r as I have never seen an ls2 break on its own.

yeah, no it won't Lol

OP mine also came with the LS2 chain. I ended up using one frim Summit Racing. Side by side you could see the difference. Never seen any issues from the LS2 chain either.
0331Marine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2017, 08:24 PM   #7
QUICRNU

Drives: Z06 wannabe
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clarkstar View Post
I got the melling 10296, high volume with my tsp stage 4 kit. Very happy with the pump, never run the pan dry.
10296 on my L99.... c5R chain also.

No dry pan in quarter mile, I also have a mechanical gauge installed.

Just my experience, also running the Driven LS30 and an external oil cooler.
Old 12-07-2017, 10:35 PM   #8
Punisher_ATX

Drives: 2010 SS
Maybe not as big of an issue in these cars but in many other applications we have seen oil starvation with a high volume. Id rather not risk it.
Punisher_ATX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2017, 07:58 AM   #9
STALKER

Drives: 2023 Camaro ZL1 1LE
I would have no reservations running the LS2 chain FWIW.
LSX Block, MAST 305 Black Labels, Exceldyne Valves, Diamond Pistons, Callies Crank & Rods, Cam Motion Cam, Johnson 2116LSR Lifters, Comp XDA Pushrods, Jesel Rockers, Mamo MSD, NW 102, Roto-Fab CAI, FAST 65# Injectors, ZL1 Fuel Pump, Kooks 2" Headers, Corsa Sport 3" Catback, Z28 Shifter, ZR1 Clutch, Katech LW Flywheel, 1LE 3.91 Diff, LPW Diff Cover, BMR - 1.4" Springs, LCA's, Trailing Arms, Toe Rods, Sway Bars, End Links, Diff Bushings, and Tunnel Brace, Z28/1LE Strut Tower Brace, Improved Racing Oil Cooler

2023 Camaro ZL1 / 1LE
Stock
STALKER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2017, 10:18 AM   #10
Russell James

Drives: '15 SS 1LE, '69 Z28 drag car
Texas Speed won't steer you wrong, great people.

Pump wise... the different variations are very critical in the OEM applications. IE. an LS9 with piston oilers must have the high volume. An AFM motor must have a pump that matches the AFM system demands. A truck motor running 0w20 needs xyz pump....

When you go modified like your basic LS3... use same considerations... no piston oilers or AFM... then go with the pump you want your pressure to be. Stock valve springs, a stock pump works great. Stiff racing valve springs and hyd lifters, you want to up that pressure a bit... that's where the higher pressure pump is a good idea. Plus as the HP increases, you want to improve that bearing cushion with a bit more pressure and better oil.

Most high volume pumps are also a bit higher pressure, so 99.9% of the time I'd bet that is a fine choice also. But.... if one was using a high volume, and a low sump capacity, at a road course with a long wide open sweeper... in theory you could suck the pan low. Which is why cars like the LS9 ZR1 have a huge sump capacity. But.... it's a rare specific track issue... the conditions a ZR1 might see.
Which is why I think you see many doing great with the various pumps on an LS3.

The big mistake would be using the wrong pump on a motor with piston oilers, afm, lifters with orifices designed for 0w20....

The critical pump install musts.... pickup tube, o-ring and pump must match. There are some combinations that are a mismatch and create a leak at that o-ring. Always double check.... this is the right o-ring and pickup tube for this pump. And center the pump before final tightening... feeler gauge it, rotate the crank a few times. When you're sure it's centered tighten it home.

LS2/7 style of chain dampener is a good idea.
Russell James is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2017, 11:24 AM   #11
Cuda7050

Drives: 2012 SS LS3
Another factor not mentioned yet is HP loss due to crank case windage. Although I am not intimately familiar with the LS oil drain back design, on typical V8 engines a lot of oil returns to the pan by dripping down through the lifter valley. This drip falls directly into a spinning crank causing windage HP loss. A high volume pump will increase the amount of oil to the top end that runs down to the lifter valley and drops onto this spinning crankshaft. Race engine builders often change the oil return path by blocking off the lifter valley opening and force oil to return at the front or rear side of the block where they sometimes port the return passages for imporve oil return flow to avoid puddling in the lifter valley. So while the benefits of a high volume pump are noted in other posts, the drawbacks are real. The correct answer is complicated so I would just go with what TSP recommends, their the people familiar with your engine design and individual needs.
Buttonwillow 2:23.736
Sacramento Raceway 12.89 at 112 mph
Thunderhill 2:22.242

Last edited by Cuda7050; 12-09-2017 at 02:51 PM.
Cuda7050 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2017, 09:44 PM   #12
Lsx_Matt

Thanks! y'all gave a bunch of great insite to my build. Much appreciated
Old 12-25-2017, 09:31 AM   #13
christianchevell
old school chevy rodder

Drives: 2013 2SS/RS Manual,DM exhaust,CRT
BTW improved racing also makes a improved windage tray for scraping the oil etc for most ls3s, I have a MAST windage tray because I am stroked and it had to be clearanced more as my large stroke....
Old 12-27-2017, 07:28 PM   #14
Pete

Drives: Camaro
High pressure for VVT.
Pete is offline   Reply With Quote