Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 04-29-2009, 06:38 PM   #1
MrGazinya

Drives: Aggressive
Camaro V6 Vs Hyundai Genesis Motor Trend article

http://www.motortrend.com/roadtests/...ack/index.html
Black 2SS RS LS3 Inferno Int. '17 1LE replica 20's {MODS} KOOKS LT: Borla S-Type: Roto-Fab CAI: Hurst ST.: PFADT Stage 2, Trailing arms, Tie Rods: ECS BigBlower Cam: Fast 102mm intake: Brian Tooley racing dual spring kit: TFS pushrod set: Katech C5R timing chain: Mellings high volume oil pump: ATI Balancer: Ideal performance upgraded clutch master cylinder:Tick performance upgraded slave cylinder/throwout bearing: Mantic 9000 twin disk clutch & light weight flywheel: Tuned by Doug Ring at ECS. 475RWHP/445RWTQ.Dynapack Dyno.

MrGazinya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2009, 03:03 PM   #2
Fat_Tire_Custom

Drives: 1972 Rally Sport, 2010 RS/SS
Thumbs down Car Comparison or Tire Comparison??

That article was more a comparison of performance tires vs all season tires than of V6 Genesis vs V6 Camaro. Motor trend needs to re-do that test with the Performance tires on the RS V6 Camaro before they can legitimately claim an article to be a comparison of the cars themselves. Looks to me like the performance tires of the RS would have put the two cars on equal footing (pun intended) for figure-8, handling, turn-in, steering feel, etc.
Fat_Tire_Custom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2009, 04:04 PM   #3
Shadowmind

Drives: 2010 2SS - IOM, fully loaded
Actually, its more of a review of the basic handling of the two vehicles, not just the treads. Of course the Genesis is going to come in with better handling on a track course, since the 'track package' is tuned for that type of driving. Its also ~ 500 lbs lighter than the Cam and can be thrown around just like any other rice burner. But even in the review they state the Cam has better stopping power, better 1/4, better over all speed. The Cam is nothing but a muscle car, straight up speed machine, even the V6. Its never been known for being agile. But... of the recent muscle cars to hit the market, the V8 is the best all around handling monster of the bunch. Just don't pit it against the underweight, underpowered, whiney rice and vino cars of Asia and Europe.
Shadowmind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2009, 04:54 PM   #4
THE EVIL TW1N
Banned

Drives: 2003 Cobra Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadowmind View Post
But... of the recent muscle cars to hit the market, the V8 is the best all around handling monster of the bunch. Just don't pit it against the underweight, underpowered, whiney rice and vino cars of Asia and Europe.
Actually, the track pack mustang is. and they are not muscle cars, they are pony cars.
THE EVIL TW1N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2009, 09:08 PM   #5
jimhowie2000

Drives: '10 Camaro 2LT/RS & 6 older Chevy's
Honestly, they keep touting the Genesis as so great but, the example I saw had less than stellar build quality and to me, looks like nothing more than a stretched and widened Tiburon, and that dropped rear side window looks goofy. In the article they mention these two cars appeal to the same buyer....I have to question the validity of such a statement. I for one, would not even give the Genesis a second look, it looks typically generic Asian, something that to me is a turn off. I like the look of an American sporty or muscle machine....they also keep harping on the Camaro's weight but....they never mention how much heavier the Genesis is versus its immediate predecessor, the Tiburon.
jimhowie2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2009, 09:25 PM   #6
blinkme323

Drives: -
The Genesis bears no resemblence to and shares no components with the Tiburon. It is a seperate entity entirely. Hyundai has already stated that the next generation Tiburon will be out in a few years. If you think they look anything alike then you defnitely haven't seen them both in person.
blinkme323 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2009, 10:38 PM   #7
ConceptVBS

Drives: POS
What blink said, the next generation Tiburon is coming in 2 years. Hyundai will have 2 coupes in its line up: Tiburon replacement and Genesis Coupe.
ConceptVBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2009, 10:43 PM   #8
sabrescamaro

Drives: TB SS and temporarily 2LTRS VR
Quote:
Actually, its more of a review of the basic handling of the two vehicles, not just the treads. Of course the Genesis is going to come in with better handling on a track course, since the 'track package' is tuned for that type of driving. Its also ~ 500 lbs lighter than the Cam and can be thrown around just like any other rice burner. But even in the review they state the Cam has better stopping power, better 1/4, better over all speed. The Cam is nothing but a muscle car, straight up speed machine, even the V6. Its never been known for being agile. But... of the recent muscle cars to hit the market, the V8 is the best all around handling monster of the bunch. Just don't pit it against the underweight, underpowered, whiney rice and vino cars of Asia and Europe.
America FTW. Asia FTL.
sabrescamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2009, 10:56 PM   #9
Mr. Wyndham
I used to be Dragoneye...

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
Send a message via AIM to Mr. Wyndham
Quote:
Originally Posted by blinkme323 View Post
If you think they look anything alike then you defnitely haven't seen them both in person.
What if I have seen them both (and driven two Genesis')...and do think they look similar?

EDIT: as I scan through that article....I think this is that nitpicky article from a while back...the two cars are so freaking close in performance numbers, that it came down to nearly insignificant things to determine a winner.

But one's a domestic vehicle, which puts it in first in the event of a draw for me.
Old 06-16-2009, 05:53 AM   #10
rayhawk

Drives: Camaro SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by THE EVIL TW1N View Post
Actually, the track pack mustang is. and they are not muscle cars, they are pony cars.
Another attempt to turn this into yet another Mustang thread...when will it end?
Old 06-16-2009, 08:13 AM   #11
nards444

Drives: 1SS/RS Black
Kind of like comparing apples and oranges. yes they are both sports cars, but one is a muscle car and ones is ricer. I mean looks wise the camaro wins hands down. But something small and light like the ricer is going to handle better. Muscle cars have always been known for looks and raw power not necessarily handling. But when they measure handling they are talking track with a professional driver, there is probably really slight differences between the two that most of us novice drivers will never notice. With that said its hard to do comparisons, although I trust Motor trend more than I do car and driver or something.
Old 06-16-2009, 11:49 AM   #12
THE EVIL TW1N
Banned

Drives: 2003 Cobra Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by rayhawk View Post
Another attempt to turn this into yet another Mustang thread...when will it end?
no, not at all. It's just a correction, that's all. Nothing more than that.
THE EVIL TW1N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2009, 12:18 PM   #13
Shadowmind

Drives: 2010 2SS - IOM, fully loaded
Quote:
Originally Posted by THE EVIL TW1N View Post
no, not at all. It's just a correction, that's all. Nothing more than that.
I'd like to make a correction on your correction...

The V8 big blocks are the 60's n 70's muscle cars. The Shelby Cobra, Hemi Cuda, Roadrunner, and Camaro SS & Z28 were classified as muscle cars. Anything in the stock V6 was considered a pony still.

My reference to the new generation of muscle cars is based off the new breed of V8's that have hit the market, the Challenger RT, Shelby GT, and Camaro SS. They are all still big block V8, with 400+ HP. No where near pony car status.
Shadowmind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2009, 01:20 PM   #14
KatarHol

Drives: '04 Mustang GT
Quote:
I'd like to make a correction on your correction...

The V8 big blocks are the 60's n 70's muscle cars. The Shelby Cobra, Hemi Cuda, Roadrunner, and Camaro SS & Z28 were classified as muscle cars. Anything in the stock V6 was considered a pony still.

My reference to the new generation of muscle cars is based off the new breed of V8's that have hit the market, the Challenger RT, Shelby GT, and Camaro SS. They are all still big block V8, with 400+ HP. No where near pony car status.
The Shelby Cobra was not a muscle car nor was the small block Z28. The Cobra is a sports car,especially 289 versions.
KatarHol is offline   Reply With Quote