Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro Z/28 Forum - Z/28 Specific Topics

Old 03-02-2013, 12:40 PM   #267
LeanPocket

Drives: 2010 2SS
he cannot confirm or deny that it is a z/28 tho
LeanPocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 12:44 PM   #268
Bad@ssCamaro
BeckyD Rocks :-)

Drives: 2015 1SS/1LE
Speculation can be wondrous and agonizing at the same time.

Bad@ssCamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 01:02 PM   #269
Bhobbs

Drives: 2015 SS 1LE Red Hot, 1970 Chevelle
Quote:
Originally Posted by toehead93 View Post
First comparing GM the way it was run 10 years ago to now it doesn't even look like the same company. They were canceling the Camaro and looking to save money not boost sales. Now, it is almost guaranteed to get the LS7, the only reason it isn't in a camaro now is because they are limited to the number of engines they can build and for some reason they chose the ZO6 to have it. Now the LS7 ZO6 is gone and has no home...which is why GM waited for the Camaro to get one. They had this planned since they started with the ZL1 which was about the same time they released the LS7 concept car.
The LS7 was designed for the Z06. That's the reason it is in there. Where are you getting that it was ever planned to be in the Camaro?

The LS7 Camaro concept came out in 2008. Way before the production Camaro.

Last edited by Bhobbs; 03-02-2013 at 03:32 PM.
Bhobbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 01:57 PM   #270
Ken_
Tally Ho!

Drives: 13 2SS/RS 6M, 05 Mitsubishi Evo 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by tramtwo View Post
And then where would we go from there? 7th Gen rumors...

tramtwo posted this on the go
The bowl of desire never gets filled
Old 03-02-2013, 02:03 PM   #271
Ken_
Tally Ho!

Drives: 13 2SS/RS 6M, 05 Mitsubishi Evo 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeanPocket View Post
he cannot confirm or deny that it is a z/28 tho
Anybody can say that.
Old 03-02-2013, 03:02 PM   #272
toehead93

Drives: 2014 2SS/1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bhobbs View Post
The LS7 was designed for the Z06. That's the reason it is in there.

The LS7 Camaro came out before the production Camaro.
That was sarcasm in my post....i think we all know this and that is why there can be an LS7 now and why ther could not be one before.

Summit White 2014 2SS 1LE
Recaros, NPP exhaust, Nav
2010 2SS A6 - sold.
toehead93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 03:52 PM   #273
Bhobbs

Quote:
Originally Posted by toehead93 View Post
That was sarcasm in my post....i think we all know this and that is why there can be an LS7 now and why ther could not be one before.
The fact that an LS7 Camaro concept was built showed they at least considered it. We all know what an LS7 Camaro could do. We see what the 1LE can do. We know GM knows what it can do. That's the frustrating part in my mind. It would be an awesome track car. Probably one the closest thing to the original Z/28 we can get in a modern car bu GM doesn't bother to build it.
Old 03-02-2013, 09:44 PM   #274
68vert

Drives: 2010 SIM SS/RS, 1968 RS convertible
Why would they not build it before the 6th gen? They know its their best shot a creating a huge hurrah (therefore sales) before a new model comes out. Its one of the Camaro's most recognized nameplates. It might not come with the LS7 after all, but a hot LS3 would probably satisfy just fine.

As for waiting for the 6th gen, the trend is usually to start with a base model (base v6, base v8) upon release and milk all the enthusiasm for the latest and greatest. Just like they are currently doing with the vette. This would push the Z release out even further.
Old 03-03-2013, 08:56 PM   #275
OldScoolCamaro

Drives: Camaro's, always have, always will.
...the proper Z/28 will come in time,..the time I feel is not in the Gen 5 chassis as they want to have a lighter, stiffer, more track oriented suspension and chassis other than the older and heavier Holden Zeta. We probably will see a LS7/1LE/ZL1 parts based special edition on the way out however. That seems a given.
Old 03-04-2013, 09:14 AM   #276
shaffe

Drives: 21 Bronco
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bhobbs View Post
The fact that an LS7 Camaro concept was built showed they at least considered it. We all know what an LS7 Camaro could do. We see what the 1LE can do. We know GM knows what it can do. That's the frustrating part in my mind. It would be an awesome track car. Probably one the closest thing to the original Z/28 we can get in a modern car bu GM doesn't bother to build it.
And that is why half of me thinks a Z28 will not be built on the 5th gen. If it was a LS7 1LE that car would tear up race tracks. I really think though it would come close to outperforming the ZL1. The ZL1 is supposed to be the ultimate camaro, the top of the line. if a Z28 comes along and offers better performance for less the price, why would people consider theZL1.

Just for smiles and giggles lets do some outside the box thinking.

Imagine if GM decided they were going to stuff the LS7 in the CTS. and this LS7 CTS would outperform the CTS-V in certain areas and cost about 5-7 grand less than the V. You don't think that would steal sales from the CTS-V?
shaffe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 09:54 AM   #277
Mikes SS

Drives: '10 CGM 2SS/RS 6M
Undoubtedly it will not be the 505hp version found in the Corvette. My guess that it would be detuned to 485-ish so as to not be as capable as the ZL1. And guys, don't expect to get a LS7 powered camaro for any less than 50k. That engine is too expensive to not be...it is about 3k more expensive than a supercharged LSA..go figure.
Mikes SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 10:07 AM   #278
shaffe

Drives: 21 Bronco
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikes SS View Post
Undoubtedly it will not be the 505hp version found in the Corvette. My guess that it would be detuned to 485-ish so as to not be as capable as the ZL1. And guys, don't expect to get a LS7 powered camaro for any less than 50k. That engine is too expensive to not be...it is about 3k more expensive than a supercharged LSA..go figure.
and at around 50K its pretty dang close the ZL1 in price do you see where I think it could be an internal sales problem?
shaffe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 11:54 AM   #279
Bhobbs

Quote:
Originally Posted by shaffe View Post
And that is why half of me thinks a Z28 will not be built on the 5th gen. If it was a LS7 1LE that car would tear up race tracks. I really think though it would come close to outperforming the ZL1. The ZL1 is supposed to be the ultimate camaro, the top of the line. if a Z28 comes along and offers better performance for less the price, why would people consider theZL1.

Just for smiles and giggles lets do some outside the box thinking.

Imagine if GM decided they were going to stuff the LS7 in the CTS. and this LS7 CTS would outperform the CTS-V in certain areas and cost about 5-7 grand less than the V. You don't think that would steal sales from the CTS-V?
The Z06 is almost as capable as the ZR1 around a track and can be priced within a few thousand dollars. I don't see any panic due to that.

The reason I don't see an LS7 Camaro is not because it will almost run with a ZL1 but because GM will not allow an LS7 to be dropped into a Camaro. That is a Corvette engine and GM won't let the Camaro get it. Just think of what an LS6 4th gen Z/28 could have done. It took until Ford releases the 5.0 to beat an LS1 Camaro in a straight line. An LS6 4th gen would probably run with a current SS and GT.
Old 03-04-2013, 12:08 PM   #280
Bhobbs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikes SS View Post
If that would be the case, then they might as well not built it at all. I don't see why they would detune the LS7 as that would mean they would have to change stuff around and re-validate the engine and that isn't going to happen.

Crate LS7 is pretty expensive but I doubt the price for an LS7 in a car is the same as the price they charge for a crate engine.