Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Closed Thread

Old 05-04-2013, 11:00 PM   #1
11Huggerwhite
Account Suspended

Drives: 2013 Camaro SS supercharged
Thinking of selling my SS

I have put so much money into this car and I love it but it broke again today. This time coolant leak from the S/C. I've have had in the last two weeks the axles break, exhaust fell off, and now a huge coolant leak. I'm tired of fixing it now and am pretty close to selling it and buying a 2012 grand sport and making it a new money pit. I love my SS just after driving my friends grand sport I think I'm selling the camaro in for a grand sport. What do you guys think?
Old 05-04-2013, 11:11 PM   #2
kansjfr

Drives: 2013 2SS 1LE
I don't think that would be a wise move. It would take no time at all for you to severely miss the performance/handling of the Camaro. Maybe if you drove the Camaro a little more conservatively, it wouldn't break so often. Just a thought.
Old 05-04-2013, 11:23 PM   #3
My Caroline

Drives: Black 2011 Camaro LS
So a modified car doesn't work as it was designed because it isn't in the form it was designed in? I wouldn't turn around and do it to a grand sport.

As they say "gotta pay to play".
Non-RS to RS and fog light harness by Gen5DIY
LED Interior, Trunk, and Licence Plate lights in white
ZL1 Spoiler with Gen5DIY harness
Factory NPP cat back
Blacked out tail light bezels
Factory 20 inch wheels wrapped in Nitto Motivos
Lowered 1.25inch on Eibach Pro springs
Old 05-04-2013, 11:31 PM   #4
11Huggerwhite
Account Suspended

I run the crap out of it after it's fixed I'm gonna drive it for a week or two to make sure I want to sell it. If I buy a vette it will be built up like my camaro so the performance won't be missed.
Old 05-04-2013, 11:35 PM   #5
menendez1293
Emerald Coast Camaros

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2LT/RS M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by kansjfr View Post
I don't think that would be a wise move. It would take no time at all for you to severely miss the performance/handling of the Camaro. Maybe if you drove the Camaro a little more conservatively, it wouldn't break so often. Just a thought.
His super charged SS might be quicker in a straight line but in no way does a Camaro handle like a corvette. You would need some serious suspension upgrades to get to that level
Old 05-04-2013, 11:42 PM   #6
LimaCharlie

Drives: 2011 Camaro SS/RS - 2004 Silverado
Issues like this have a better chance of happening when you modify a car. A S/C is a pretty serious modification and it adds extra stress on the drivetrain, especially if the car is driven hard. Based on your posts, you are actually lucky to only have broke axles and a coolant leak at this time.

2004 Black Silverado 1500 2WD Regular Cab, Short Bed
-5.3 LM7, 4L60E, 3.42, G80

2014 White Caprice PPV
-6.0 L77, 6L80E, 2.92, G80
Old 05-04-2013, 11:42 PM   #7
Q'smuscle
Account Suspended

Drives: 2011 Camaro VR 2SS/RS & Impala
Yea probably those parts need to be upgraded why not buy a ZL1 already supercharged like your car and equipped from the ground up by GM? And you can run it like you want with a peace of mind. Sounds like a win, win . Since you say that you love the camaro
Old 05-04-2013, 11:47 PM   #8
2012-1822

Drives: Black ZL1
ZL1, easy fix. The day I went to get mine, I knew it was there, I was on my way to get specifically this ZL1, I did not order it, but found it 2 hours away from me, and I got out of the truck at the Dealership and there was a Grand Sport right in front of me for like 5G's more than the ZL1 I think. I thought about it for 0.68 seconds, which is an eternity for an android. But it was more like Iron Man, the movie, the first one, where Rhodes looks at the suit and says "Next time." It's like that.

Bottom line I plain and simple wanted a Camaro. I wanted a 2010 and wasn't in position to get one. So magically when I found this ZL1 things had changed and I had to get it.

But it's my take that some people are Camaro people and others are Corvette people, neither better or worse than the other. May have to do with a parent or older sibling that had one or the other. Maybe other reasons all together.

I think a stock ZL1 with either a Rotofab CAI or headers and high flow cats, but not both, will suit you if you'll keep from modding it. You can get away with one of those options without a tune and therefore keep your warranty and when it breaks take it to them. Or, if you've got the change for it, take it one of the big shops, Hennessey offers a 1 yr warranty on some of there work I think, and Lingenfelter offers a 2 yr warranty on some of their work.

Comes down to what is going to make you happy

Edit: My god man, a 2013, really, already destroying it, did you even break it in yet

Last edited by 2012-1822; 05-04-2013 at 11:48 PM. Reason: Brain Fart
Old 05-05-2013, 12:55 AM   #9
11Huggerwhite
Account Suspended

Ripped it apart at around 1,000 miles for the headers and cam. I put the supercharger on around 3,000 miles so it really didn't really get broken in. I've driven the crap out of it from the second I pulled out of the dealership.
Old 05-05-2013, 02:19 AM   #10
Supercharged SS
Account Suspended

Drives: 2010 Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by 11Huggerwhite View Post
I have put so much money into this car and I love it but it broke again today. This time coolant leak from the S/C. I've have had in the last two weeks the axles break, exhaust fell off, and now a huge coolant leak. I'm tired of fixing it now and am pretty close to selling it and buying a 2012 grand sport and making it a new money pit. I love my SS just after driving my friends grand sport I think I'm selling the camaro in for a grand sport. What do you guys think?
So what axles did you go with? You never came back into your thread?

What shop did the work? They should take care of the coolant leak.
Old 05-05-2013, 02:43 AM   #11
DRKnightSS1

Drives: 2013 Camaro SS1 LS3
Quote:
Ripped it apart at around 1,000 miles for the headers and cam. I put the supercharger on around 3,000 miles so it really didn't really get broken in. I've driven the crap out of it from the second I pulled out of the dealership.
Ummm wow. Not to sound like your father but, none of these things mentioned sounds like a good idea to do to your Camaro let alone any car. Especially how hard you have driven it. Sounds like a case of "live and learn".

Sent using Tapatalk on my Note 2.
Old 05-05-2013, 03:38 AM   #12
11Huggerwhite
Account Suspended

The coolant leak got fixed late tonight finally. I went with the factory GM axle because GM warrantied it.
Old 05-05-2013, 03:51 AM   #13
StephenS_84
Account Suspended

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS
Quote:
The coolant leak got fixed late tonight finally. I went with the factory GM axle because GM warrantied it.
So you put in another part that is prone to failure? Sounds like a smart move. NOT! Upgrade it and do it right the first time and you won't have these issues. Have your work done by a good well known shop and you won't have these issues.

It's a car with a lot of moving parts. If you can accept that something might go wrong then buy a car and never mod it. Also I'd take the GS over a Camaro any day.
Old 05-05-2013, 04:54 AM   #14
2012-1822

Drives: Black ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by StephenS_84 View Post
Also I'd take the GS over a Camaro any day.
So says the man with the SS. I'm not knockin on you, like I've mentioned in more than one post I went to specifically buy the ZL1, and even though there was a GS right there in front of me, cutting me off before I even got a look at the ZL1, and even though it was black, which a black car is my crack rock, I still just wanted my Camaro. And see the price was negligible between those two, not like going from a SS to a GS, if that were the case, like I was planning on spending 40k, then a GS is too big a jump, but ZL1 next to GS, price was close enough, it came down to I wanted a Camaro. So that is that.

The rest is history in the making

Closed Thread