Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Members Area > General Automotive + Other Cars Discussion

Old 04-11-2011, 08:49 PM   #15
fielderLS3

Drives: 2016 Mazda6, 2011 Mustang 5.0
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadowsong View Post
So, after seeing a few of the threads in this section regarding Pontiac, and the solstice targa that someone just bought... it got me thinking.

Why not redesign the Solstice/Sky and put it out as a chevy? They were nice little cars to begin with, and I'm sure there would be a market for them...

Look at all the aftermarket for the Cobalt SS, what if they had a platform to work with that wasn't wrong wheel drive, but had the same turbocharged motor?

Sounds like a good idea to me
That won't happen.

First, the car is not high enough volume to justify the development cost.
Second, the plant it was built in has already been sold off.
Third, the Solstice actually wasn't that good of car. It had an uncomfortable, awkward interior, offered less performance for the money than the Camaro, and still got lower fuel economy than most full-size cars, despite being very small, which will make it impossible to build given the coming footprint based EPA mandates.
fielderLS3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2011, 09:26 PM   #16
WhiteCrane

Drives: 2010 Mustang GT
Send a message via AIM to WhiteCrane Send a message via Skype™ to WhiteCrane
I hate to say this. I love American cars. I also love GM. But the Mazda MX-5 Miata was simply a better vehicle than the Pontiac Solstice. Period.

And who is gonna shell out the big bucks for the GXP model when that put you in Camaro SS price ranges?
WhiteCrane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2011, 10:17 PM   #17
TOMS1SS

Drives: NA
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteCrane View Post
I hate to say this. I love American cars. I also love GM. But the Mazda MX-5 Miata was simply a better vehicle than the Pontiac Solstice. Period.

And who is gonna shell out the big bucks for the GXP model when that put you in Camaro SS price ranges?
Depends on what performance attribute your talking about with the Miata. The Miate is a better handler but can only keep up with the non-turbo Solstices for acceleration. Also since when was 26 to 29k big bucks for a car? My 1SS with the only options being an automatic tranny and IOM paint was 32.5k. More like LT2 price range, the GXP would out perform it easily.
TOMS1SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2011, 12:22 AM   #18
TaylorRyanSS
COTW: 12/13/10

Drives: 1969 Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteCrane View Post

Miata!

No thanks, too feminine looking. I know the Sky/Solstice was not that masculine, but it was way more than the Miata.

"Are you one of those boys who prefer cars to women? - I'm one of those boys that appreciates a fine body, regardless of the make."
1969 CAMARO JOURNAL: http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=341239 | FACEBOOK: http://www.facebook.com/taylor.ryan.apt | GRAPHIC DESIGN: www.aptdesigns.net
TaylorRyanSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2011, 10:13 AM   #19
AZCamaroFan
Camaro6 2016-2018

Drives: sometimes
not going to happen, but i think it would make more sense as a Buick.