Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Forced Induction - V8

Old 05-06-2014, 08:24 PM   #57
Allanski

Drives: Car
We have been hitting 3rd gear at the 1/4 mile with the slicks. I agree the 4 speed is cutting it close for a Texas mile but we have 373 rear and have to run with the 28" dia street tires when we run the runway here and if I still have it in August I will post the results.
PS open to offers...
Allanski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2014, 08:33 PM   #58
jessrayo
Speed Freak

Drives: 2013 ZL1 Camaro, 2016 Camaro SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Allanski View Post
We have been hitting 3rd gear at the 1/4 mile with the slicks. I agree the 4 speed is cutting it close for a Texas mile but we have 373 rear and have to run with the 28" dia street tires when we run the runway here and if I still have it in August I will post the results.
PS open to offers...
Keep us posted on the results, I would love to see the dyno and the video of the 1/4 mile that thing is going to run.

2013 ZL1 -ADM - 427 LSX 6 bolt, O-ringed block built by LME. Twin PT6466 turbos. RPM custom manual trans, RPS Quad carbon clutch, 9" Hendrix rear diff & axles. ADM/squash fuel system, Ron Davis radiator, Spal fans, AGP air to air, turbo plumbing. LPE oil cooler, rear bushing upgrade, roll bar...etc. rwhp 1400+... 212.5mph, best Texas mile to date.
jessrayo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2014, 09:59 PM   #59
SSE 4 2SS
Boosted Moderator

Drives: Bone Stock LS3
Send a message via AIM to SSE 4 2SS Send a message via Yahoo to SSE 4 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by jessrayo View Post
That is a good tire choice also. I prefer the road racing tires to the drag radials but they do work a lot better than the goodyears.
And here I thought the goodyears were pretty good.... as I managed a 183.7 half mile speed on them with no traction control.... But I believe in the John Force style of burnout...
Attached Images

Horsepower is how fast you hit the wall.
Torque is how far you take the wall with you.

“If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough.” Mario Andretti

If you can turn, you ain't going fast enough...
SSE 4 2SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2014, 10:00 AM   #60
mylftft

Drives: 2013 TT ZL1
Don't let the Fest results help you make a judgement on my cars 1/4 times, there is a reason I have never posted time slips on my car, people are way to quick to determine whats going on with it. It trapped 140 mph on 3 passes at Baytown with an average et of 10.60. Its been quicker & trapped higher with the stock converter & without a 2 step. Andy told me to leave it alone, he might end up being right. We got the converter & the 2 step in right before the event & never got the car on the dyno to do any tuning, the company that shipped my car to Andy got it to him 4 days late. Every pass at the Fest was a different tune, I stopped trying to even use the 2 step at all so I could get the other parts we were testing working 1st. Either way turbos are never gonna hit like a pd blower. Yes, I'm gonna put the car up for sale, that decision was made right when GM announced the new Z06 would have an auto transmission.
Old 05-07-2014, 07:50 PM   #61
jessrayo
Speed Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSE 4 2SS View Post
And here I thought the goodyears were pretty good.... as I managed a 183.7 half mile speed on them with no traction control.... But I believe in the John Force style of burnout...
Robert, there is no doubt in my mind that if you could have put on a road racing tire when you were looking to borrow one you would have the Gen5 speed record right now. If you heat up the hoosier a6/r6 or even the toyo like you do the goodyear you will defiantly be able to give it 100%
boost from 3rd gear on with no traction issues, maybe even in second..... You really should run the Hoosier A6.... you will be pissed you didn't buy them long ago.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mylftft View Post
Don't let the Fest results help you make a judgement on my cars 1/4 times, there is a reason I have never posted time slips on my car, people are way to quick to determine whats going on with it. It trapped 140 mph on 3 passes at Baytown with an average et of 10.60. Its been quicker & trapped higher with the stock converter & without a 2 step. Andy told me to leave it alone, he might end up being right. We got the converter & the 2 step in right before the event & never got the car on the dyno to do any tuning, the company that shipped my car to Andy got it to him 4 days late. Every pass at the Fest was a different tune, I stopped trying to even use the 2 step at all so I could get the other parts we were testing working 1st. Either way turbos are never gonna hit like a pd blower. Yes, I'm gonna put the car up for sale, that decision was made right when GM announced the new Z06 would have an auto transmission.
I know you have not come close to really dialing in how to get the most out of your car for each racing venue. I really have not either for that matter. I know in the 1/4 mile I can pickup between one second to maybe 1.5 seconds by adjusting both my gears and when I trigger the nitrous. I only had nitrous in 3rd gear on the 10.6 pass. In the mile I was above 190 at the 3/4 mile mark but my throttle body would not say open in 5th gear If I tried to shift to 6th at 190mph the car would drop all the way to 183 in the fraction of a second I banged that shift and I only got back to 192 before I ran out of road...... I plan on changing transmission gears again next week....I will go over 200 in 5th and 6 is going to be good for about 220 if I can find the power to pull it.

I like the idea of hot Z06 stingray.....especially if I could run compound boost on it....

2013 ZL1 -ADM - 427 LSX 6 bolt, O-ringed block built by LME. Twin PT6466 turbos. RPM custom manual trans, RPS Quad carbon clutch, 9" Hendrix rear diff & axles. ADM/squash fuel system, Ron Davis radiator, Spal fans, AGP air to air, turbo plumbing. LPE oil cooler, rear bushing upgrade, roll bar...etc. rwhp 1400+... 212.5mph, best Texas mile to date.
Old 05-07-2014, 08:16 PM   #62
SSE 4 2SS
Boosted Moderator

Quote:
Robert, there is no doubt in my mind that if you could have put on a road racing tire when you were looking to borrow one you would have the Gen5 speed record right now. If you heat up the hoosier a6/r6 or even the toyo like you do the goodyear you will defiantly be able to give it 100%
boost from 3rd gear on with no traction issues, maybe even in second..... You really should run the Hoosier A6.... you will be pissed you didn't buy them long ago.
)
I'll have them for my next run, along with the new power plant... compound boosted... lol, two turbos feeding 8 cylinders.... ooops, sorry, off topic... and hoping for well over 30 lbs of boost... that will test any tires...

I have a question about your gearing... will you be able to stand on it in 6th gear... at our power levels, that is a huge strain on rotating parts.. trans gears, drive shafts, diffs and gears, axles etc... I run 3.07 rear gears and never shift out of 5th... with the new motor and 8,000 rpm that's 261 mph..

“If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough.” Mario Andretti

Old 05-07-2014, 08:30 PM   #63
jessrayo
Speed Freak

Quote:
I'll have them for my next run, along with the new power plant... compound boosted... lol, two turbos feeding 8 cylinders.... ooops, sorry, off topic... and hoping for well over 30 lbs of boost... that will test any tires...

I have a question about your gearing... will you be able to stand on it in 6th gear... at our power levels, that is a huge strain on rotating parts.. trans gears, drive shafts, diffs and gears, axles etc... I run 3.07 rear gears and never shift out of 5th... with the new motor and 8,000 rpm that's 261 mph..
I have the ZR1 6th gear in the car and it will stay. GM designed that to be a usable gear and not just an economy gear, it has considerably more mass than the other GM 6th gears. I haven't had a driveline problem yet and I have sprayed the nitrous and ran it over 200 in 6th just to test it.

Your car will do 261 in 5th or it will do 261 in 6th? If that is in 5th I'm wondering what 6th will do? What are your 5th and 6th ratios? Are you thinking 250mph in October?

Old 05-07-2014, 08:52 PM   #64
on3wego

Drives: 2014 zl1 triple black
I'm the guy that actually was going to Kevin at agp for the compound setup. I did some research scared me. And heard lots of bad stuff on compounding. I love the idea tho. And was only wanting 8-850.. but I don't have tons of money. Something this big and rare. Was scared what would do to my new 14 zl1. I love Kevin's ideas.. I was thinking of doing twins with him and doing away with the stock.blower. but figured he would be mad. I'm glad I read this threAd op. Not trying g to.thread Jack. But it's learning experience for me to..

Not to mention I.live in Oklahoma and was going cost me 1000 bucks to.get my car to him in Tempe. Kevin if u read this my apologies. It's a big chunk to bite off. After spending 60grand on new car lol.
on3wego is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2014, 09:40 PM   #65
Unreal

Drives: 2006 Z06
It offers some advantages, and if you want more later just yank the blower, sell it, put on a stock intake and turn up the turbos. You'll lose the blower low end but gain more turbo top end.

Nothing wrong with compound, but it has its place. For a fun broad power band 800rwhp car it would be awesome.
Old 05-07-2014, 09:52 PM   #66
on3wego

Drives: 2014 zl1 triple black
Just considering my options before pulling the trigger. Once I head a direction I don't want to change
on3wego is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2014, 09:53 PM   #67
SSE 4 2SS
Boosted Moderator

Quote:
I have the ZR1 6th gear in the car and it will stay. GM designed that to be a usable gear and not just an economy gear, it has considerably more mass than the other GM 6th gears. I haven't had a driveline problem yet and I have sprayed the nitrous and ran it over 200 in 6th just to test it.

Your car will do 261 in 5th or it will do 261 in 6th? If that is in 5th I'm wondering what 6th will do? What are your 5th and 6th ratios? Are you thinking 250mph in October?
26X in 5th gear... ZL1 trans gear ratios and 1st thru 5th are all billet gears...

Bottom right list the speed by rpm for each gear... bottom row far right, 1st, 2nd, 3rd etc at 8,000 rpm...
Attached Images

Old 05-07-2014, 10:09 PM   #68
jessrayo
Speed Freak

Quote:
26X in 5th gear... ZL1 trans gear ratios and 1st thru 5th are all billet gears...

Bottom right list the speed by rpm for each gear... bottom row far right, 1st, 2nd, 3rd etc at 8,000 rpm...
Wow, I'm pretty sure my engine has never been past 6700 rpm and that is where you start....lol. It looks like you have plenty of room if you never rev it past 7 grand but hey... I didn't build the motor. I'm sure you have one hell of a set of valve springs....lol. I can't wait to see it run.
Thanks again for the info.

Old 05-07-2014, 10:27 PM   #69
SSE 4 2SS
Boosted Moderator

Quote:
Wow, I'm pretty sure my engine has never been past 6700 rpm and that is where you start....lol. It looks like you have plenty of room if you never rev it past 7 grand but hey... I didn't build the motor. I'm sure you have one hell of a set of valve springs....lol. I can't wait to see it run.
Thanks again for the info.
The old motor we shifted at 7,000 rpm, it wasn't the red line but the power fell off bad due to the factory intake and throttle body....

With the new motor and a custom short runner huge plenum sheet metal intake, we can run it to well over 8,000 rpm, but we shouldn't need to... Corey firmly believes 250-260 mph plus is possible with traction... and now that the traction control portion of ProEFI is working... well the Hoosiers will be the telling tale... but that's a long ways from where I am....

It's too early to go into too much detail, but it'll be sporting a solid roller cam, somewhere near the .800 lift... PSI springs, titanium intake valves, inconel exhaust valves, AllPro heads.. Jesel valve train... etc... gonna be a beast... I hope....

Old 05-07-2014, 10:50 PM   #70
jessrayo
Speed Freak

Quote:
The old motor we shifted at 7,000 rpm, it wasn't the red line but the power fell off bad due to the factory intake and throttle body....

With the new motor and a custom short runner huge plenum sheet metal intake, we can run it to well over 8,000 rpm, but we shouldn't need to... Corey firmly believes 250-260 mph plus is possible with traction... and now that the traction control portion of ProEFI is working... well the Hoosiers will be the telling tale... but that's a long ways from where I am....

It's too early to go into too much detail, but it'll be sporting a solid roller cam, somewhere near the .800 lift... PSI springs, titanium intake valves, inconel exhaust valves, AllPro heads.. Jesel valve train... etc... gonna be a beast... I hope....
Well you have a lot more experience there than I do but I think it is smart to start with a 7000 red line and 70% boost and add gradually rather than go for everything right out of the gait and blow the car on the first pass. By the way, did you notice I got the award for the most passes the last time....lol. I may not be fast but I'm damn persistent....lol