Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 05-20-2020, 02:07 PM   #29
Cheap Guy

Drives: 2011 Camaro SS
I guess I’m in the minority, maybe because I’m not a youngster, but just cutting out the stock mufflers sounded like crap. It was just loud without any real tone. I bought the $150 Legato axleback because it was actually cheaper than many straight pipes or having an exhaust shop slap something together and so far I’m satisfied.

First - 1997 Camaro 3800 Y87, M5, Green - Gone | Second - 1997 LT1 Z28, M6, Silver - Sold | Third - 1999 LS1 Z28, M6, Pewter, Almost Stock! - Sold
Current - 2011 Camaro SS, M6, black, 1LE suspension parts - Current
Cheap Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2020, 02:46 PM   #30
Modernmusclecar

I'm not a young guy either.....my muffler delete was louder like you said. But until I put a quality catback on I didn't notice how unrefined it was. A good catback or axleback really cleans up the sound. But if I was to do it all over again OP.....I would just start with a nice catback and be done.
Modernmusclecar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2020, 06:14 PM   #31
Ray299

Drives: 2011 SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Modernmusclecar View Post
I'm not a young guy either.....my muffler delete was louder like you said. But until I put a quality catback on I didn't notice how unrefined it was. A good catback or axleback really cleans up the sound. But if I was to do it all over again OP.....I would just start with a nice catback and be done.
If I read that right... The axle back is louder, but the cat back is better if you're planning on adding to it since it opens up a congested exhaust.... Did I take that the right way? Thinking about axle back. Once I hear some noise I'm not doing anything more... It's just sickening quiet.... And it's a slug... Starting to wonder.... When I step on the gas it's not responsive and actually bogs before the power kicks in and even when it does, it's no rocket ship... Is this thing really this slow? Again, I got the ss convertible...
Ray299 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2020, 06:38 PM   #32
acutron42

Drives: 2013 Camaro 2SS AGM
To me in my own opinion, any small block from any era that has a stock cam with headers just sounds dull. Open up the valves with a cam & that makes heads turn.
acutron42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2020, 07:59 PM   #33
LCPLPunk
USA-1

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS L99
Catback is waste of money. Longtubes ($350 from Speed Engineering) + x-pipe ($100 from Summit) = done. Sounds great, no drone, more power, win all around.

R2C CAI / Apex Scoop / VMAX Ported TB / Speed Engineering LTHs / X-pipe / GPI port/rod-mod intake manifold / Circle D 3200 278mm Converter / 3.91 gears / DynoSteve tuned / 1LE Shocks/Struts/Toe Links / ZL1 Rear Sway Bar / Z/28 Trailing arms / Prothane Radius Arm & Subframe Bushings / BMR UCA Bracket, Steering rack bushing / B&M Tranny Cooler / RX Catch Can / Jannetty Tranny Dipstick / 2012+ Heater Hose / 2013+ Rearview Mirror / Fuel rail flip / Drake shifter / Oil Cooler Delete
LCPLPunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2020, 08:08 PM   #34
Jasper

Drives: 2011 Summit White Camaro SS (LS3)
Hmm. I don't find my muff delete with solo J-pipes sounds un-refined. Quite enjoy it really. I wouldn't mind a bit more volume though. Headers are pricey (good ones) here in Canada because our dollar is so weak right now. It sounds like maybe just replacing the Cats with my muff delete may be the way to go to get some volume.
Old 05-29-2020, 09:30 PM   #35
LCPLPunk
USA-1

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS L99
Could do an x-pipe too.

R2C CAI / Apex Scoop / VMAX Ported TB / Speed Engineering LTHs / X-pipe / GPI port/rod-mod intake manifold / Circle D 3200 278mm Converter / 3.91 gears / DynoSteve tuned / 1LE Shocks/Struts/Toe Links / ZL1 Rear Sway Bar / Z/28 Trailing arms / Prothane Radius Arm & Subframe Bushings / BMR UCA Bracket, Steering rack bushing / B&M Tranny Cooler / RX Catch Can / Jannetty Tranny Dipstick / 2012+ Heater Hose / 2013+ Rearview Mirror / Fuel rail flip / Drake shifter / Oil Cooler Delete
LCPLPunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2020, 10:15 PM   #36
Venomcustom
Hard to want.

Drives: 2020 red hot 1SS 1LE
I did stainless works headers with Solo axle back exhaust. Love it.
Venomcustom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2020, 11:38 PM   #37
acutron42

Drives: 2013 Camaro 2SS AGM
To thy OP. Three pages of another exhaust thread. Type in your original question on google. It will come back here. Just go with your gut & tell us how you like your purchase.
acutron42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2020, 05:19 AM   #38
Warship2k15

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS
Ok I would do headers first and see how you like the sound.Then do other things muffler etc if you want more.That way you gain 30-40hp and if it’s enough you have saved money.
If not then you can add to them and you still gained hp.
Win win
Warship2k15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2020, 09:42 AM   #39
Modernmusclecar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray299 View Post
If I read that right... The axle back is louder, but the cat back is better if you're planning on adding to it since it opens up a congested exhaust.... Did I take that the right way? Thinking about axle back. Once I hear some noise I'm not doing anything more... It's just sickening quiet.... And it's a slug... Starting to wonder.... When I step on the gas it's not responsive and actually bogs before the power kicks in and even when it does, it's no rocket ship... Is this thing really this slow? Again, I got the ss convertible...
Sorry I didn't see your response. Back when I did my muffler delete it was a Magnaflow axleback. It was ok...but once I did my Corsa catback it was a whole new level. I think there is alot more choices for a quality axleback now the 7 years ago. I would recommend a quality catback right off the bat. Your not piecing to together by doing that. And for those telling him to do headers first he may not want a tune yet. Try this.. try that only leads to wasted money and frustration looking for the right sound. Listen to alot of catback then decide.
Modernmusclecar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2020, 01:46 PM   #40
MarkNJ

Drives: 2015 2SS Commemorative Edition
This is all you need Bro.
MarkNJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2020, 08:01 AM   #41
Ray299

Drives: 2011 SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkNJ View Post
This is all you need Bro.
That sounds a little obnoxious... May be more sound than I'm looking for... Would have been nice to see that actual work he did... Was it just cutting off the muffler?
Ray299 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2020, 01:44 PM   #42
MarkNJ

Drives: 2015 2SS Commemorative Edition
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray299 View Post
That sounds a little obnoxious... May be more sound than I'm looking for... Would have been nice to see that actual work he did... Was it just cutting off the muffler?
Probably. On mine, both mufflers were cut off and new straight pipes welded in place, with the chrome tips. Only really loud during cold start and when you get on it. This is how mine was done.

MarkNJ is offline   Reply With Quote