Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Camaro DIY & HOW-TO instructions & discussions

Old 10-31-2019, 07:00 PM   #1
ChaosActual

Drives: 2014 Camaro SS 1LE
Cool DIY: Short Shifter and CF Shift Knob for $18

First and foremost, please don't blame me if you choose to follow this guide and are unhappy with the results. I for one am very happy with the reduced throw of the shifter now. I would also like to take a moment to emphasize that this is not a traditional short shifter because the fulcrum remains the same however a reduction in length of the shifter rod will in fact decrease the shift throw. The biggest counter argument to this is that the extended length adds more leverage to shifts and a reduction could cause harder/notchy shifts. I will add that I have not had any more difficulty shifting with this setup than I had before. Below is a diagram showing the mechanics of a shift rod length reduction.

Lets get started!

Tools needed:
  • Plastic trim tool
  • 7mm socket
  • T25 Torx
  • Angle Grinder

Parts needed:
Carbon Fiber Shift Knob

Optional/Recommended:
  • Blue 243 Locktite
  • Masking Tape

Step 1 -
Remove plastic trim / gauge cluster. You can use a plastic trim tool to pry it up and then work your fingers underneath it from there. There is enough slack to set the whole assembly aside.

Step 2 -
Remove shifter knob. You can do this by twisting the silver lock ring counter clockwise and pressing it down. After it is pressed down you should see a T-25 torx screw on the passenger side of the shift knob. Remove this torx screw and pull the shift knob up and off.

Step 3 -
Remove the (4) 7mm bolts holding the shifter boot in place. and remove the shifter boot.

Step 4 -
Apply masking tape to the shifter rod and mark where you will cut the rod. The new shifter knob has an internal dept of 1.25" but I wanted to allow just a little bit more room for the shifter boot bezel so I made my mark about 1.35" from the bottom of the rod. The shifter rod is 3" so you want to take off approximately 1.65" of the rod.

Step 5 -
Apply shop towels/rags beneath the rod to catch any debris that may be created during cutting.

Step 6 -
Cut shifter rod.

Step 7 -
The shifter boot bezel has two plastic notches for alignment with the stock shifter knob. These must be removed in order for the bezel to fit around the new shifter knob. I used a pair of small wire cutters and they came right off.

It is now a PERFECT fit!

Step 8 -
Replace the shifter boot and (4) 7mm bolts that hold it in place. You can then thread the (3) hex screws that were supplied with the shift knob in to the shift knob base. I choose to use some blue loctite to prevent the screws from ever loosening. The CF shifter knob has an inside diameter of ~15.20mm and should fit relatively snug around the shaft(14.55mm diameter). The boot should provide some upwards tension so you will have to hold the boot bezel down while you tighten the 3 hex screws. You want the screws to be tight but be careful not to strip them out.

Step 9 -
Readjust the the bezel to fit around the base of the shift knob. Replace the plastic trim / gauge cluster and you are all finished. Take the car for a drive and enjoy your new short shifter!

Last edited by ChaosActual; 10-31-2019 at 07:25 PM.
ChaosActual is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2019, 09:50 PM   #2
SQUEEGIO

Drives: 2011 LS3 Camaro 2SS/RS
Anyone done this to the factory Hurst shifter?
SQUEEGIO is offline   Reply With Quote