Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

Bigwormgraphix

Old 07-02-2018, 06:55 PM   #85
Cgocifer

Drives: 2018 1SS 1LE, 2015 RAM Ecodiesel
Quote:
Originally Posted by bsimms89 View Post
I still liked when this concept came up when people were speculating on the 6th gen
I remember that! That was sweet!
Old 07-02-2018, 09:35 PM   #86
Doc
Dances With Mustangs

Drives: 2010 1SS/RS MT
Well I've reworked almost everything. Completely took apart the front, and as I started to rework it, I found the overtones of a '67 beginning to appear, so I thought "what the heck? Let's go in that direction and see where it leads." So here we are so far.

Reworked the body side quite a bit; did a lot of work on the front fenders. In keeping with the '67 flavor, I put silver edging around the headlights, fog lights, and the outer edge of the grill. Not sure if that works on a more modern car, but I kinda like it.

Went with round headlights ala '67, but decided to try rectangular turn/drl lights so it didn't look totally retro.

Upon studying images of the '67, although people tend to think of it as a relatively 'simple' design, there's a lot more going on in that body shape than I realized. Trying to make a modern version is a real challenge. The way cars are constructed today is so different, that I don't think a modern factory could produce a '67 Camaro. They'd probably have to be hand-built. Manufacturing processes often dictate body panel design, which produces very different panels and body lines today than was even possible back then. Trying to apply modern lines to an old manufactured shape ain't easy.

This is clearly a big slice of the "MOHR" Number 3 was talking about, but it's been rather fun to play with. The '67 was my favorite.

Name:  Camaro 7-67a.png
Views: 678
Size:  305.0 KB
Name:  Camaro 7-67b.png
Views: 614
Size:  376.3 KB

Blue Angel is here!!
1SS/RS LS3 M6 IBM
Doc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2018, 10:08 PM   #87
JhonnyGTR

Drives: La Macarena
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc View Post
Well I've reworked almost everything. Completely took apart the front, and as I started to rework it, I found the overtones of a '67 beginning to appear, so I thought "what the heck? Let's go in that direction and see where it leads." So here we are so far.

Reworked the body side quite a bit; did a lot of work on the front fenders. In keeping with the '67 flavor, I put silver edging around the headlights, fog lights, and the outer edge of the grill. Not sure if that works on a more modern car, but I kinda like it.

Went with round headlights ala '67, but decided to try rectangular turn/drl lights so it didn't look totally retro.

Upon studying images of the '67, although people tend to think of it as a relatively 'simple' design, there's a lot more going on in that body shape than I realized. Trying to make a modern version is a real challenge. The way cars are constructed today is so different, that I don't think a modern factory could produce a '67 Camaro. They'd probably have to be hand-built. Manufacturing processes often dictate body panel design, which produces very different panels and body lines today than was even possible back then. Trying to apply modern lines to an old manufactured shape ain't easy.

This is clearly a big slice of the "MOHR" Number 3 was talking about, but it's been rather fun to play with. The '67 was my favorite.

Attachment 944113
Attachment 944114
I like this concept, I really like this concept
JhonnyGTR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2018, 10:32 PM   #88
Cgocifer

I think you've come full circle and ended back to a modified 5th gen style.

I think the next gen has to be ground breaking and incorporate modern trends like the big grills and etc as much as I dont like the 19 refresh.

Think 2019 Aston Martin Vantage mixed with 1970 Camaro or something. I say 1970 camaro because it already has a huge gaping grille, sleek lines, and seems like a it could be a good foundation.
Attached Images

Old 07-03-2018, 02:53 AM   #89
genxer

Drives: multiple cars
Lots of interesting stuff lately. Thank you for your efforts, Doc. There's naturally a high bar set for expectations here. I'm definitely on the side of the '67 retro, and trying really hard not to dump on other generations. People say the 6th gen is a tired retro look, but I see a very modern coupe with added heritage cues.

JohnnyGTR's post pointing out the SS refresh's 2nd gen cues was helpful. Thank you for that.

That is a very good angle on that Aston picture. The Kia Proceed Concept uses a similar shape to the rocker area. It makes the door side to window height look more like the fibonacci ratio.

One question for Cgocifer or other Camaro as sports car backers is what does that car do for you over a Corvette?
genxer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2018, 06:24 AM   #90
Godfatha

Drives: 2016 2SS Mosaic Black Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by classicrockr View Post
I still say this is what they should go for....
They need to go this direction. This is a great looking car.
Godfatha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2018, 12:29 PM   #91
Doc
Dances With Mustangs

Quote:
Originally Posted by JhonnyGTR View Post
I like this concept, I really like this concept
Well thank you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cgocifer View Post
I think you've come full circle and ended back to a modified 5th gen style.

I think the next gen has to be ground breaking and incorporate modern trends like the big grills and etc as much as I dont like the 19 refresh.

Think 2019 Aston Martin Vantage mixed with 1970 Camaro or something. I say 1970 camaro because it already has a huge gaping grille, sleek lines, and seems like a it could be a good foundation.
Actually the 5th Gen was based on the 1969 Camaro; mine is much more along the lines of the 1967 which wasn't as 'soft' a look as the '69. I always thought the '67 was a cleaner design.

As for the modern trend of huge gaping grilles, I totally hate that look. To me that Aston Martin looks absolutely hideous; all the more so because they did such a beautiful job on the front of the DB-11.

Name:  DB-11.jpeg
Views: 419
Size:  63.3 KB

The problem with doing anything "groundbreaking" is the moment you deviate away from retro, people hate it. A modern/futuristic look isn't going to look at all like retro. Retro has a charm and warmth that modern/futuristic doesn't, and I think that has a lot to do with why it's such a popular look.

Aaannd speaking of popular... since a positive review has poured in, I've done some more work on the shape, including some detail work. The door cutouts are in place and there's a door handle now. I had to relocate the ends of the rear spoiler to accommodate a trunk lid opening line. The first image has the spoiler ends at the edge of the body which I think is a much better look, but I just can't think of any way to keep the spoiler ends at the edge of the body and have a trunk lid.

Name:  Camaro 7-67 3d1.png
Views: 456
Size:  341.1 KB
Name:  Camaro 7-67 3d3.png
Views: 430
Size:  269.7 KB
Name:  Camaro 7-67 3d2.png
Views: 448
Size:  277.3 KB

Blue Angel is here!!
1SS/RS LS3 M6 IBM
Old 07-03-2018, 04:55 PM   #92
17rsvert

Drives: 2017 HBM 2LT RS Convertible V6 A8
I like it Doc. Think you can put a little more curve in the top corners of the rear quarter panels above the wheel wells? Might make it look a little more '67
17rsvert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2018, 05:30 PM   #93
joeybsyc

Drives: 2010 Aqua Blue Metallic 2SS
If sales keep going the direction they're going.. there won't be a 7th gen.
Old 07-04-2018, 12:45 AM   #94
Doc
Dances With Mustangs

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeybsyc View Post
If sales keep going the direction they're going.. there won't be a 7th gen.
Yeah well that's the whole point of this thread; to bring some ideas to the table to help with that. They need a bread and butter model to help support the halo models.

This is pretty much it for this concept; I'm not going to be doing anything else with the outside. I've changed the windows to a lighter tint which helps give the car a more open look (even though obviously there's no interior), I think it looks better this way.

Here are it's final shots in satin white along with a couple of comparison shots to a 5th Gen:

Name:  Camaro 7-67 3c-2.png
Views: 424
Size:  516.6 KB
Name:  Camaro 7-67 3c-1.png
Views: 407
Size:  423.0 KB
Name:  Camaro 7-67 3c-3.png
Views: 403
Size:  271.5 KB
Name:  Camaro 7-67 3c-4.png
Views: 438
Size:  479.0 KB

I thank everyone that participated; good, bad or ugly lol. I think this exercise brought out a few of things. One, people are pretty much in agreement that a change is needed. Two, there isn't any real consensus as to what that change should be. Three, it must suck to work in the Camaro design department. I feel for those guys. They must go through bottles of antacid, trying to come up with something to please this crowd.

I may come up with an electric, pure futuristic concept just for some ideas in that direction, but I'm sure everyone will hate it lol. Can an electric car be a Camaro?

Blue Angel is here!!
1SS/RS LS3 M6 IBM
Old 07-04-2018, 08:56 AM   #95
Cgocifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by genxer View Post
Lots of interesting stuff lately. Thank you for your efforts, Doc. There's naturally a high bar set for expectations here. I'm definitely on the side of the '67 retro, and trying really hard not to dump on other generations. People say the 6th gen is a tired retro look, but I see a very modern coupe with added heritage cues.

JohnnyGTR's post pointing out the SS refresh's 2nd gen cues was helpful. Thank you for that.

That is a very good angle on that Aston picture. The Kia Proceed Concept uses a similar shape to the rocker area. It makes the door side to window height look more like the fibonacci ratio.

One question for Cgocifer or other Camaro as sports car backers is what does that car do for you over a Corvette?
I think the Aston is a 2 seater, so nothing. Just an example of sleek and modern. Would need to be proportioned for back seat and camaroized.
Old 07-06-2018, 11:26 AM   #96
DC5

Drives: 2019 Chevrolet Camaro SS 1LE
http://cadillacsociety.com/2018/07/0...design-patent/

The images in this document appear to suggest the seventh-generation Camaro will retain a similar profile to the current vehicle. Moreover, the dimensions appear to be similar to the current vehicle. As it pertains to the Cadillac CT5 coupe, I like what I see!

Concerning the Camaro, I firmly believe that GM intends to elevate the nameplate in terms of price and performance. As production of the front-engine Corvette is anticipated to end 1-2 years after the new and more expensive mid-engine Corvette debuts, the Camaro will be able to better occupy the market space that it currently shares in upper trim with the base C7 (i.e., the $55,000 sports car range).

With the sales of all vehicles that are not trucks or SUVs or CUVs in decline (especially sports cars, which tend to be second/pleasure vehicles), I see no reason why GM would emphasize offering a more affordable Camaro. Conversely, I believe GM will, and should, elevate the performance, quality, and price of the seventh-generation Camaro (though only marginally concerning the latter). We already see this strategy with the current generation, which advanced from "pony car" to legitimate sports car while receiving an appropriate price increase. Therefore, while I'm certain GM would love to sell more Camaros, I'm confident it will remain content selling fewer Camaros than Mustangs but at higher transaction prices.

Last edited by DC5; 07-06-2018 at 11:38 AM.
DC5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2018, 04:34 PM   #97
Doc
Dances With Mustangs

After looking at the link you posted, it shows a very generic look to me. The back is something else again. Not only does it not look like a Cadillac, it doesn't look like much of anything. Not sure what kind of look they're going for there.

On my way to work yesterday I was looking and noticed that in addition to a lot of trucks and SUV's on the road, there are also a LOT of cars; they're just not American cars. Lots of Toyota, Mazda, Kia, Hyundai, BMW, Audi, Mercedes, Volvo... just about everything except American makes. I don't think the car market is quite as dead as we're being told; it's just dead for the American car companies. I don't know if it's price, style, or maybe a combination of both, but for some reason American manufacturers have lost the market to foreign manufacturers.

GM may indeed be planning on moving the Camaro upscale, which is sad to me because it certainly didn't start out that way. At one time we were the envy of the world; everyone wanted American cars. How times have changed.

Blue Angel is here!!
1SS/RS LS3 M6 IBM
Old 07-06-2018, 06:52 PM   #98
DC5

Drives: 2019 Chevrolet Camaro SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc View Post
After looking at the link you posted, it shows a very generic look to me. The back is something else again. Not only does it not look like a Cadillac, it doesn't look like much of anything. Not sure what kind of look they're going for there.

On my way to work yesterday I was looking and noticed that in addition to a lot of trucks and SUV's on the road, there are also a LOT of cars; they're just not American cars. Lots of Toyota, Mazda, Kia, Hyundai, BMW, Audi, Mercedes, Volvo... just about everything except American makes. I don't think the car market is quite as dead as we're being told; it's just dead for the American car companies. I don't know if it's price, style, or maybe a combination of both, but for some reason American manufacturers have lost the market to foreign manufacturers.

GM may indeed be planning on moving the Camaro upscale, which is sad to me because it certainly didn't start out that way. At one time we were the envy of the world; everyone wanted American cars. How times have changed.
Not surprisingly, it mirrors the styling cues that Cadillac previewed in 2016 with the Cadillac Escala concept vehicle. I find it an appealing departure from the current "Art and Science" design language, which has been evolving since the introduction of the CTS in 2003.

With exception to Accords and Camrys, most new sedans that I observe on the roadway are German luxury sedans. And one could argue that Chevrolet, Ford, and Chrysler surrendered the sedan market to the Japanese 30+ years ago. Regardless, let us not forget that GM is ultimately responsible to its shareholders, which dictates that GM meet current market conditions and offer more trucks, SUVs, and CUVs.

Since current market conditions don't favor coupes, especially sports cars, I believe GM is wise in elevating the Camaro upmarket---not doing so could very well end the business case for the Camaro and result in the demise of a vehicle we all appreciate.
DC5 is offline   Reply With Quote