Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Forced Induction - V8

Old 09-15-2010, 10:37 PM   #1
Tomato
G-Force Addict

Drives: 2010 SS/RS A6
Those with a Supercharger - Talk me off the fence!

Not looking to get flamed - just want some sound advice from those that are running SCs...

Been wanting to go with one for some time now, but I keep talking myself out of it. I am really concerned about breaking crap on my car and starting down a "money pit" path. Believe me, I am willing to pay to play, but, again, I don't want to start a losing battle.

I road race whenever I can at Thunderhill, and it is great knowing I can push the car to its limits and, if something in the drive train breaks, take it to GM for warranty coverage. I have several mods - mostly brakes and suspension, so no warranty issues.

The car is handling great, and all it needs is a bit more power. I live in CA, so the only "legal" way is an SC. If I lived elsewhere, I would have done heads, cam, etc. a long time ago.

I also worry about heat under the hood and overall engine and trans cooling. My oil and trans already run VERY hot on track.

Maggie and Edelbrock are both telling me there's nothing to worry about with their "stock" 6 PSI kits...

Anyone with road race experience and a Maggie or E-Force? Advice appreciated.

Thanks.
Tomato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2010, 10:42 PM   #2
billw501

Drives: 2010 IBM 2SS/RS
Not trying to sound negative here, but are you sure with all of your road racing and pushing the car to it's limits that your powertrain warranty isn't forfeit already? I don't want to start a - my cousin new a girl that had a boyfriend - rumors, but won't the dealership look more closely at your car and how it's been used before they honor any kind of costly powertrain repairs? I'm only showing concern here for you....
billw501 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2010, 10:43 PM   #3
600hp-lpe

Drives: 2010
1 year later.. still havn't destroyed the drive train (and I've been trying)!!!

the rear end gears are whining a little more now, but that's about it.

I have raced my car every opportunity all summer long and it's holding up well.
600hp-lpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2010, 10:44 PM   #4
Tomato
G-Force Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by billw501 View Post
Not trying to sound negative here, but are you sure with all of your road racing and pushing the car to it's limits that your powertrain warranty isn't forfeit already? I don't want to start a - my cousin new a girl that had a boyfriend - rumors, but won't the dealership look more closely at your car and how it's been used before they honor any kind of costly powertrain repairs? I'm only showing concern here for you....
Appreciate the call out, but...That doesn't help my decision. And no, I am not worried about the warranty coverage for too many reasons to list.
Old 09-15-2010, 10:45 PM   #5
Tomato
G-Force Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by 600hp-lpe View Post
1 year later.. still havn't destroyed the drive train (and I've been trying)!!!

the rear end gears are whining a little more now, but that's about it.

I have raced my car every opportunity all summer long and it's holding up well.
Sweet mods, man! I am definitely headed that direction...It's amazing what a little suspension and brake investment can do to these cars.
Old 09-15-2010, 11:06 PM   #6
billw501

Drives: 2010 IBM 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomato View Post
Appreciate the call out, but...That doesn't help my decision. And no, I am not worried about the warranty coverage for too many reasons to list.
Ok, sorry. Wasn't calling you out. Sounded like you were concerned about the warranty.
billw501 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2010, 07:16 AM   #7
600hp-lpe

Drives: 2010
Quote:
Sweet mods, man! I am definitely headed that direction...It's amazing what a little suspension and brake investment can do to these cars.
Swapping out the stock suspension for the Pedders Track setup is my favorite part of my upgrades! the extra power doesn't hurt either...
600hp-lpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2010, 07:39 AM   #8
old motorhead

Drives: Maggie blown LS3 vette
If your under hood, motor oil, and tranny oil are hot now......what do think is going to happen after you add 150hp? For road racing, you'll need engine oil and bigger tranny oil coolers. Also probably need to upgrade the radiator. I wonder how your rear end is going to handle the added power through put. I'm guessing you'll need to upgrade there too. Take a quick gander at what's included in GM's ZR1 vette package. With a 'charger, your SS will have ZR1 type power. Now add .4 tons to the vette and you'll see what you're facing. Doable? Sure it is. Takes a pretty big commitment though.
old motorhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2010, 08:13 AM   #9
hypurone
I'm not totally useless..

Drives: ...
My temps are offset by fan usage. My tuner has them on at 170 and they ramp up to 100% as I reach 195. On these 100 degree days we had recently, I got there (oil still at 220 trans at 190-195). Still had good power and only got a teeny bit of knock on boost going up some steep stuff.

Granted I wasn't thrashing this on the track but I was hammering it for an hour straight....

I only have 3000 miles since the supercharger but I gotta tell ya it rocks.

Done my share of snakes and other bad boy stuff and so far so good with the powertrain.

The way I look at it. By the time you get to 100,000 miles (IF you get there) the motor/powertrain is not gonna like being charged at that time.... You might as well have the fun now and be kickin' yourself for not doing it later.

You also have to weigh the consequences of having to pay for something if it breaks....
Old 09-16-2010, 11:02 AM   #10
Tomato
G-Force Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by old motorhead View Post
If your under hood, motor oil, and tranny oil are hot now......what do think is going to happen after you add 150hp? For road racing, you'll need engine oil and bigger tranny oil coolers. Also probably need to upgrade the radiator. I wonder how your rear end is going to handle the added power through put. I'm guessing you'll need to upgrade there too. Take a quick gander at what's included in GM's ZR1 vette package. With a 'charger, your SS will have ZR1 type power. Now add .4 tons to the vette and you'll see what you're facing. Doable? Sure it is. Takes a pretty big commitment though.
One of the very reasons I remain on the fence...
Old 09-16-2010, 11:13 AM   #11
Legend
Hello!

Drives: 2008 JSB Z06!
Quote:
I live in CA, so the only "legal" way is an SC. If I lived elsewhere, I would have done heads, cam, etc. a long time ago.
You may have answered your own question here...if you were not in CA you would have voided your warranty already with the above mods...yes? I don't understand why you are concerned with voiding it if you were in another state you would have already done it?

Quote:
I also worry about heat under the hood and overall engine and trans cooling. My oil and trans already run VERY hot on track.

Maggie and Edelbrock are both telling me there's nothing to worry about with their "stock" 6 PSI kits...
When I had my "stock" tune for the TVS2300 from Magnuson, I ran the crap out it! I even hot lapped her at the track making as many as 10 passes in a row...temp stayed at or around 190 - 210. Everything held up on the car too...rear end and tranny.

The stock tune is a very nice set up...makes the car run like it should have from the factory...but as with anything, you'll want more, same as I did! Completely different car with the TVS2300 on there running the stock manifold and stock air box! It's everything I expected!

Magnuson offers a 3 yr/36K warranty with their set up and you would retain some warranty at least...but no other mods are allowed.

I'd check with them and see if adding a oil cooler and trans cooler would void that warranty...if not, then I'd slap the TVS2300 on there and smile! Get a 180 t-stat added as well if they are ok with that and I think you'll have exactly what you are looking for!

Didn't exactly talk you off the fence huh?
Legend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2010, 11:46 AM   #12
Tomato
G-Force Addict

Legend: Appreciate the feedback. I am not so concerned about voiding the warranty, as I am simply about the car holding up with the added power...Warranty or not, I just don't want to deal with a lot of issues. Went through that with a car before - kept breaking $hit, and it's no fun. I actually asked Magnusson if I culd get a 4-4.5 PSI pulley and tune, as this would obviously be easier on the car and still get me 80 or so additional HP - nope!
Old 09-16-2010, 12:21 PM   #13
Hendrix-Engineering
Account Suspended

Drives: First 9 inch-12 bolt IRS Camaro
Quote:
Legend: Appreciate the feedback. I am not so concerned about voiding the warranty, as I am simply about the car holding up with the added power...Warranty or not, I just don't want to deal with a lot of issues. Went through that with a car before - kept breaking $hit, and it's no fun. I actually asked Magnusson if I culd get a 4-4.5 PSI pulley and tune, as this would obviously be easier on the car and still get me 80 or so additional HP - nope!
Give me a call and ill try to help you out....
Hendrix-Engineering is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2010, 05:40 PM   #14
old motorhead

Drives: Maggie blown LS3 vette
Quote:
Originally Posted by Legend View Post
You may have answered your own question here...if you were not in CA you would have voided your warranty already with the above mods...yes? I don't understand why you are concerned with voiding it if you were in another state you would have already done it?

When I had my "stock" tune for the TVS2300 from Magnuson, I ran the crap out it! I even hot lapped her at the track making as many as 10 passes in a row...temp stayed at or around 190 - 210. Everything held up on the car too...rear end and tranny.

The stock tune is a very nice set up...makes the car run like it should have from the factory...but as with anything, you'll want more, same as I did! Completely different car with the TVS2300 on there running the stock manifold and stock air box! It's everything I expected!

Magnuson offers a 3 yr/36K warranty with their set up and you would retain some warranty at least...but no other mods are allowed.

I'd check with them and see if adding a oil cooler and trans cooler would void that warranty...if not, then I'd slap the TVS2300 on there and smile! Get a 180 t-stat added as well if they are ok with that and I think you'll have exactly what you are looking for!

Didn't exactly talk you off the fence huh?
"Hot lappin" a quarter mile at a time is nothing like the loads exibited on a car during a road race. To get a car, engineered for 400 hp (now making 550hp), to be able to live long and prosper under road race conditions requires MUCH more from the car. It's in the throttle for minutes instead of seconds. Maybe not WOT for minutes, but various levels of power output for minutes. Totally different breed of cat vs a street car/occasional quarter mile warrior. You might have a little fun on a road course before you cook a component or two, but it's a question of "when", not a question of "if".

EDIT: If you're serious about road racing, start with a Z06 vette. You can probably add 15 or 20 thousand bucks to your Camaro and a bone stock Z06 will probably smoke yo ass and live to tell about it.

Last edited by old motorhead; 09-16-2010 at 05:59 PM.
old motorhead is offline   Reply With Quote