Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 05-09-2014, 10:34 AM   #1
Evergreen6

Drives: 2023 Camaro 1SS
Heel-Toe in the Camaro?

I've driven manual trans cars for a long time and I'm already good at rev-matching downshifts and other good manual trans techniques, but I'm trying to add to my skills..

I'm trying to teach myself heel-toe. I know how it works, but I'm having a hard time in the Camaro. I can't seem to bridge the gap between the two pedals. My feet aren't exactly small (size 11.5), so maybe I need bigger shoes, like duck feet? lol Or are the pedals just spaced in a way that makes it difficult for everyone else, too?

Anyway, if you have any tips or advice, feel free to share. Thanks!
Evergreen6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2014, 10:39 AM   #2
Gillis

Drives: Car
You need to buy racing pedals that are specially designed for heel-toe. They have an extension on the gas pedal.

Gillis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2014, 11:40 AM   #3
ChrisBlair
Buick 455 Fan

Drives: 1970 Buick, 2012 1SS LS3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evergreen6 View Post
I've driven manual trans cars for a long time and I'm already good at rev-matching downshifts and other good manual trans techniques, but I'm trying to add to my skills..

I'm trying to teach myself heel-toe. I know how it works, but I'm having a hard time in the Camaro. I can't seem to bridge the gap between the two pedals. My feet aren't exactly small (size 11.5), so maybe I need bigger shoes, like duck feet? lol Or are the pedals just spaced in a way that makes it difficult for everyone else, too?

Anyway, if you have any tips or advice, feel free to share. Thanks!
I'm 5'7" and wear a size 8 shoe...heel and toe no problem in the Camaro for me. I wonder if your driving position is the key here.
Old 05-09-2014, 11:45 AM   #4
Stitch

Drives: SS, CTS & SRT-4
I'm 6'1" with long legs and a 11 shoe, and I find the steering column and my knee have a horrible relationship when I heel-toe.
Old 05-09-2014, 11:53 AM   #5
Evergreen6

More practice for me. I have a hard time believing my feet aren't big enough. I'm pretty tall, and I sit with the seat pretty far back (not leaned back, but the actual seat is almost as far back as it will go in its track. Maybe scooting up just a little bit will allow me to get a little more step on the gas.
Old 05-09-2014, 12:05 PM   #6
ChrisBlair
Buick 455 Fan

Drives: 1970 Buick, 2012 1SS LS3
If my feet are big enough, yours are big enough. But where my toes are when my heel is on the gas will not be the same as for you: your toes are off in space way past mine, and mine are on the brake

Short guy FTW?
Old 05-09-2014, 12:14 PM   #7
PAUL SS
The Mark of Excellence

Drives: 2010 ABM 1SS RS LS3
I could be wrong, but it's not so much heel/toe as it is left side/right side of right foot. Turn or point your right foot to the right, the picture of the gas pedal above helps to visualize it.
Old 05-09-2014, 12:42 PM   #8
Evergreen6

Quote:
Originally Posted by PAUL SS View Post
I could be wrong, but it's not so much heel/toe as it is left side/right side of right foot. Turn or point your right foot to the right, the picture of the gas pedal above helps to visualize it.
This is the placement I was taught. Foot angled left, not right. Which way is correct?

Example:

Old 05-09-2014, 01:05 PM   #9
punkindave
The Great Punkin

Drives: 2013 2SS M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evergreen6 View Post
This is the placement I was taught. Foot angled left, not right. Which way is correct?

Example:

I don't know how you'd do it any other way... Of course I have a lot of titanium and a dozen or so screws in my right ankle.
Old 05-09-2014, 01:06 PM   #10
Evergreen6

Quote:
Originally Posted by punkindave View Post
I don't know how you'd do it any other way... Of course I have a lot of titanium and a dozen or so screws in my right ankle.
One of the guys above said angle your foot to the right, presumably catching the brake with your heel, and the accelerator with your small toes.
Old 05-09-2014, 01:44 PM   #11
PAUL SS
The Mark of Excellence

Drives: 2010 ABM 1SS RS LS3
This is what I was talking about.
Old 05-09-2014, 01:49 PM   #12
MDcarnut

Drives: 2013 IOM 2LT RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gillis View Post
You need to buy racing pedals that are specially designed for heel-toe. They have an extension on the gas pedal.

I need these
MDcarnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2014, 01:53 PM   #13
ZED SLED

Drives: 2017 Mosaic Bk ZL1 M6
These cars aren't the easiest for this. I could do ok in my SS, but for some reason I have a lot of trouble in the ZL1. Seems like the gas pedal is further back. Maybe a pair of these would work, lol.
Attached Images

ZED SLED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2014, 03:24 PM   #14
Gillis

Drives: Car
Quote:
Originally Posted by mclark10 View Post
These cars aren't the easiest for this. I could do ok in my SS, but for some reason I have a lot of trouble in the ZL1. Seems like the gas pedal is further back. Maybe a pair of these would work, lol.
or these...
Gillis is offline   Reply With Quote