Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 08-28-2015, 12:11 AM   #1
arthur2940

Drives: 2014 camaro ss
Drag strip very

Anyone know what's the lowest u can run in a vert before u need a roll bar.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk
arthur2940 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2015, 06:39 AM   #2
mrvenicess

Drives: 2013 CRT ZL1 auto
Depends on the track. I run in the 9s with no bar but that's only on test and tune nights. A lot of places insist on a cage below 11 seconds I believe.
mrvenicess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2015, 07:58 AM   #3
Trob85
Svt lol

Drives: 2011 ss inferno orange blown
Yea depends here anything below 12 helmet, 11 fire jacket, 10.50 6 point cage so on and so on.
Old 08-28-2015, 12:59 PM   #4
bsimms89

Drives: 2012 SS/RS Vert & 2017COPO#23 SC350
I see noone else noticed that he specified in a convertible, NHRA Rules state that with a hard top you need a 5 point roll bar if you run under 11.5 in the quarter and a cage if you run under 10.00, yet s convertible has stricter requirements. They state a convertible needs a roll bar under 13.5 and a cage under 10.00(same as hardtops). Back around 2005/2006 they had a statement in the rulebook that mentioned "Pure Stock" and would allow you to run faster with a convertible if it was a stock car and nothing had been modified on it but it was just that fast, but that rule has since been removed from the rulebook so it no longer applies.

Oh and with a vert you need s helmet no matter what

Last summer when I was 100% stock I took it to a track and ran 13.63 with my L99 Vert, now with my mods I'll probably be running under. Ive been wanting to start racing more for a whole and my father wants to build a new car himself but I've been torn on if I wanna put a bar in my vert or buy something else and make that my track car.

2017 COPO #23 Black w/ Supercharged LSX350

2014 Raptor 6.2L Tuxedo Black Metallic w/ 2.9L Whipple, 78Lb/hr fuel injectors, Ford Racing Dual 65mm cobrajet throttle body, kooks headers & exhaust.

1969 Camaro SS (original SS350), Black w/ white Rally Stripes, new ZZ502ci 502hp motor, muncie 4 speed, 4.11 rear
bsimms89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2015, 01:01 PM   #5
digdeep0169

Drives: 2012 Camaro SS 45th Anniversary
^this. always refer to the rulebook (NHRA)

~ 2012 SS ~
digdeep0169 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2015, 01:48 PM   #6
Smkymts

Drives: 2011 Camaro Convertible SS
You have asked a very dangerous question. It totally depends on the track you're running and the officials of the event. Everyone wants to bring out the NHRA rulebook when you asked that question. The point I have always made is that the events I've run with my convertible are not NHRA sanctioned events therefore the rules shouldn't apply. Some racetracks will agree with that and allow you to run without a rollbar or cage. Other times they will not. An excellent example is Camaro fest 2013 I was told I could not run because I was too fast, but this year I didn't ask and they allowed me to run and I ran 11:95.
I was told the reason for the change was that this years track was not pushing the rulebook. So I recommend you go and you race until somebody tells you you can't it's better to beg forgiveness than ask permission. Many on here will sit there and tell you you're going to kill yourself and that you have a higher likelihood to die in roll over accident in a convertible while Drag racing in a straight line. But the same people will allow you to run The same car in Autocross without a roll cage. So my question is why do you believe that I have a higher likelihood of killing myself in a straight line versus throwing my car into a hairpin curve as fast as I can drive?
No one has yet to address that? But my guess is because AutoX events don't have a governing agency like NHRA.

But NHRA rules only cover NHRA sanctioned events, not the track. My local dragstrip/Nascar track is Bristol, Tennessee's Fastest 1/2 mile Oval & Thunder Valley Dragstrip. When I spoke to the owner of the track, he personally told me that he deals with both Governing boards on their individual events, but events not related to their sanctioned event has no bearing on other events. So almost every Thursday the track sponsors, street fights night. To pull young drivers off the street and lessen street racing and put it in a safer environment. With local police and business overwhelming support. So why would Camarofest or other non-sanctioned NHRA events demand NHRA compliance? So before I get hundreds of angry responses to this, yes I do understand there are excellent reasons for the rules and a cage would be safer. But I refuse to cut up my car just to please others. Given NHRA safety standards, no one should drive a convertible ever on the roads for the same safety reasons. Unkess you think 70mph on a highway is safer than 50mph on a AutoX track?

Last edited by Smkymts; 08-29-2015 at 11:09 AM.
Smkymts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2015, 01:54 PM   #7
Trob85
Svt lol

Drives: 2011 ss inferno orange blown
Yes most tracks are not nhra certified so it will vary. If you want to compete in a bracket series then pay attention to a rule book