Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Camaro Issues / Problems | Warranty Discussions | TSB and Recalls

Old 01-18-2020, 08:24 AM   #1
mkmgraham

Drives: 2013 Camaro SS
Dealer Bricked my Car! Key Fob Issue

Rrrrrrr!

So I bought my new to me 2013 SS a week ago and it came with one aftermarket key and two aftermarket fobs (which will be thrown away). The aftermarket fobs were never programmed.

Decided to go ahead and have a local dealer cut a spare key and purchased a GM fob and programming while they were in there. They called and said the car will NOT take the programming from the MDI and furthermore, it will not even start now. They have programmed three keys seemingly successfully, but cannot get the fobs to link up. They also said a check engine light is on (or maybe security, who knows based on the sales rep I am talking to). I asked her to read the engine light code and she said everything shuts off when they plug the MDI or an OBDii reader into the port.

She then went on to tell me they did not have diagnostic time in the quote to determine what was wrong with my car! There were NO issues with the car when I dropped it off and the key worked fine. This is insane!

Has anyone else had issues with dealers trying to program FOBs??

Thanks in advance,

Matt
2013 2SS Blue Ray Metallic/Silver stripes, black Interior. Halo conversion, Diode Dynamics grill lighting, LED interior and fog lights. Sundown 8" DVC, Altrend 300.1 Amp, Handmade side-mount box. Soon to be BBK Headers and hi-flow cats.
mkmgraham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2020, 09:57 AM   #2
Rock-It Man
376 cubic inches of fun

Drives: 2023 Camaro ZL1 A10
This is a bummer but not the dealer's fault.

Who sold you this car with the non-functioning fobs, and why did you give them your money?
Rock-It Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2020, 02:14 PM   #3
CamaroBarb
Banned

Drives: cheby Camaro
I have basically same trouble trying to program new keys and FOB's but it was on them used Camaro I bought. After 6 hrs if losing their minds they called tech support that told them they needed to make a master key without a chip in it 1st then use that to program everything else. It worked. Sorry but I can't remember all the details. You could call around and see what other dealer service depts could do for you.

I know in my case they were getting very nervous because I was about to walk away from the deal when they finally got it figured out. Truly scary the dealers don't know their own cars security systems. You should probably call GM to see if they can help. If the car worked before they messed with it they messed up the reprogramming of the car.

On mine they tried over and over and over for hrs on end. Simple call made the master key with no chip then used that to program the new keys and FOB's as I remember it.
CamaroBarb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2020, 05:26 PM   #4
mkmgraham

Quote:
Originally Posted by CamaroBarb View Post
I have basically same trouble trying to program new keys and FOB's but it was on them used Camaro I bought. After 6 hrs if losing their minds they called tech support that told them they needed to make a master key without a chip in it 1st then use that to program everything else. It worked. Sorry but I can't remember all the details. You could call around and see what other dealer service depts could do for you.

I know in my case they were getting very nervous because I was about to walk away from the deal when they finally got it figured out. Truly scary the dealers don't know their own cars security systems. You should probably call GM to see if they can help. If the car worked before they messed with it they messed up the reprogramming of the car.

On mine they tried over and over and over for hrs on end. Simple call made the master key with no chip then used that to program the new keys and FOB's as I remember it.
Thanks! That is very helpful. I will pass that along. I hope they haven't destroyed the BCM. At least one guy there said if they did, they would fix it at no cost to me.
2013 2SS Blue Ray Metallic/Silver stripes, black Interior. Halo conversion, Diode Dynamics grill lighting, LED interior and fog lights. Sundown 8" DVC, Altrend 300.1 Amp, Handmade side-mount box. Soon to be BBK Headers and hi-flow cats.
Old 01-18-2020, 07:22 PM   #5
DJ_BigC
Rockin' Steady

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS
They have to cut 2 new OEM flip style keys and program them using the TIS2WEB programming interface. Never mind the single keys with no fobs that we received if you performed the service recall on your vehicle for this. If the fobs don’t come with the blades installed, they will need to order separate blanks, cut and install them in the fobs for the programming event.

When they program the vehicle, they will need to invalidate all previously programmed keys/fobs etc. Once that’s done they will need program the new flip style keys under immobilizer learn “new transponder key” option and follow the onscreen instructions Once the one blade key is programmed the interface will prompt you and ask if you want to program a second key, that’s when they will follow the instructions on the screen and program the second blade key.

They can either learn the 3rd and 4th single non flip style keys at the same time or use the key on, remove key, insert new key and start vehicle to learn them. At this point they should have a total of 4 learned keys that all start the vehicle. Then they’ll remove the blades from the fob assemblies and may or may not install the filler kit for the empty blade slot.. they’ll attach the single keys with the double key ring set up to the fobs and she’s all ready to go.

I’ve done this EXACT procedure myself for a customer who had lost all his keys for his Camaro after the previous tech was at a loss on how to program the fobs. I’m pretty sure theres a tech bulletin that explains this procedure. It’s not hard what so ever, they just have to program the vehicle like it came from the factory. Mind you the US has different regulations then Canada for the immobilizer learn procedure, it should be pretty darn close to the same.

2010 Camaro 2SS Black, L99, SLP headers, GMPP axle back, complete JRE tune, 22" Boss 337's, Nitto Invos 5% tint, Eforce Supercharger w. 3" pulley, ADM FPCM, ID850's, JRE fuel rail mod, Eforce CAI, Moroso catch can, spark plug insulators.
DJ_BigC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2020, 04:45 AM   #6
mkmgraham

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJ_BigC View Post
They have to cut 2 new OEM flip style keys and program them using the TIS2WEB programming interface. Never mind the single keys with no fobs that we received if you performed the service recall on your vehicle for this. If the fobs don’t come with the blades installed, they will need to order separate blanks, cut and install them in the fobs for the programming event.

When they program the vehicle, they will need to invalidate all previously programmed keys/fobs etc. Once that’s done they will need program the new flip style keys under immobilizer learn “new transponder key” option and follow the onscreen instructions Once the one blade key is programmed the interface will prompt you and ask if you want to program a second key, that’s when they will follow the instructions on the screen and program the second blade key.

They can either learn the 3rd and 4th single non flip style keys at the same time or use the key on, remove key, insert new key and start vehicle to learn them. At this point they should have a total of 4 learned keys that all start the vehicle. Then they’ll remove the blades from the fob assemblies and may or may not install the filler kit for the empty blade slot.. they’ll attach the single keys with the double key ring set up to the fobs and she’s all ready to go.

I’ve done this EXACT procedure myself for a customer who had lost all his keys for his Camaro after the previous tech was at a loss on how to program the fobs. I’m pretty sure theres a tech bulletin that explains this procedure. It’s not hard what so ever, they just have to program the vehicle like it came from the factory. Mind you the US has different regulations then Canada for the immobilizer learn procedure, it should be pretty darn close to the same.

Thank you very much, I will print this out and take it in tomorrow!
Old 01-19-2020, 07:44 AM   #7
DJ_BigC
Rockin' Steady

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS
I’m from Canada and work for a Canadian GM dealership.
I’m sure what I wrote isn’t to far off from whatever the programming interface will prompt them to do.
I don’t have my work laptop in front of my right now to confirm the wording 100% but thats essentially the best info you’ll get. For some reason the US has less restrictions when it comes to adding and programming new keys to the vehicles then Canada but the main programming procedures are the same.

Now if they caused any other issues with the vehicle, locked up modules and so on that’s on them.

2010 Camaro 2SS Black, L99, SLP headers, GMPP axle back, complete JRE tune, 22" Boss 337's, Nitto Invos 5% tint, Eforce Supercharger w. 3" pulley, ADM FPCM, ID850's, JRE fuel rail mod, Eforce CAI, Moroso catch can, spark plug insulators.
DJ_BigC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2020, 05:15 AM   #8
mkmgraham

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJ_BigC View Post
I’m from Canada and work for a Canadian GM dealership.
I’m sure what I wrote isn’t to far off from whatever the programming interface will prompt them to do.
I don’t have my work laptop in front of my right now to confirm the wording 100% but thats essentially the best info you’ll get. For some reason the US has less restrictions when it comes to adding and programming new keys to the vehicles then Canada but the main programming procedures are the same.

Now if they caused any other issues with the vehicle, locked up modules and so on that’s on them.

They called back and got two keys to program but no fobs. They did get the lights off finally. They said as soon as they plug the diagnostic interface in the car electronics shut down altogether. They have tried three computers all with the same result. I approved them to do some diagnostics $240 to see what the issue is. I am worried if we don’t get this fixed I will never be able to tune the car for mods. We will see what they find and have to figure out if there is any evidence they created the issue.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 01-23-2020, 05:19 PM   #9
mkmgraham

They found Pin 5 was loose in the DLC and needed to reprogram the BCM. All fixed. $2.00 part that cost $300 to find.

Old 01-25-2020, 06:36 PM   #10
CamaroBarb
Banned

What is a DLC?
Old 01-26-2020, 07:50 AM   #11
mkmgraham

Quote:
What is a DLC?

I think it is the port they plug in to.

Old 01-26-2020, 12:26 PM   #12
CamaroBarb
Banned

Luckily you found a good service dept that stepped up and got you fixed. The complexity of all newer cars is a challenge for anyone no matter how well they are trained. Since you started this post I did some digging myself and realized my dealer was so far off on what they were doing, they also told me there are chips hidden in the plastic part of the key. There are no chips in the keys! Its a wonder they ever got mine working!
Old 01-26-2020, 06:26 PM   #13
mkmgraham

Quote:
Luckily you found a good service dept that stepped up and got you fixed. The complexity of all newer cars is a challenge for anyone no matter how well they are trained. Since you started this post I did some digging myself and realized my dealer was so far off on what they were doing, they also told me there are chips hidden in the plastic part of the key. There are no chips in the keys! Its a wonder they ever got mine working!

My dealer literally screwed up everything they did from the first call to the last bill. It was a huge fiasco. They ONLY thing they did right was find the bad pin. I wouldn’t let them put air in my tire moving forward. They even added a few new chips to my fender.