Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 03-02-2010, 12:15 AM   #113
helmincamaro
Official Lounge BAMF

Drives: '97 Camaro
Send a message via AIM to helmincamaro Send a message via Yahoo to helmincamaro
Well, if the FBI wants to look at my e-mails.... They can have at it. I get nothing but spam.... While they're looking they might as well delete some of it.
helmincamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2010, 12:23 AM   #114
Blakout

Drives: 2016 Camaro 2SS NPP
Quote:
Originally Posted by helmincamaro View Post
Well, if the FBI wants to look at my e-mails.... They can have at it. I get nothing but spam.... While they're looking they might as well delete some of it.
Old 03-02-2010, 12:24 AM   #115
Ravirn
Account Unaccounted for

Drives: Black SS
Terms and Conditions of Your OnStar Service

...taken from pages 33 & 34...

OTHER IMPORTANT INFORMATION

OnStar does not continuously or routinely monitor or track the location or speed of your car.
OnStar only knows the location of your car or the approximate speed of your car (as calculated from GPS data) when:
  • there is a request for service initiated from within the car (when you press the OnStar button to speak with an advisor);
  • there is a request for Stolen Vehicle Assistance or to locate a missing person;
  • there is an Air Bag Deployment;
  • there is an Automatic Crash Response;
  • required by law;
  • required to protect our rights or property or the safety of you and others; or
  • required by us to troubleshoot our services.
ONSTAR WILL NOT USE, SHARE, OR OTHERWISE DISCLOSE YOUR LOCATION OR SPEED INFORMATION EXCEPT AS EXPRESSLY STATED IN THIS PRIVACY STATEMENT.

OnStar does not listen to or monitor conversations in your car without notice to you.
It is not possible for OnStar to listen to or monitor conversations in your car without notice to you. When an advisor calls into your car, the following will occur:
  • a light flashes;
  • there is a ring;
  • the radio mutes.
OnStar intentionally developed this functionality so that our advisors cannot override it. In addition, calls through the OnStar system are normally audible through stereo speakers, and cars programmed with text display capabilities will show an indicator of a connection to OnStar on the driver's information panel. Moreover, OnStar's policy requires advisors to announce their presence immediately upon establishing a call into your car.

...aaaaand as a side-note I should point out that, being Canadian, I don't give two hoots about the FBI. But if they're monitoring my communications I'd like to say "How's it going, eh?" from Canada and "How's the weather down there?" Oh, and the folks at CSIS would like to speak with you... they're probably already on the way to your embassy by the time you read this.

Last edited by Ravirn; 03-02-2010 at 01:14 AM.
Ravirn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2010, 02:38 AM   #116
FenwickHockey65
General Motors Aficionado

Drives: 2023 GMC Canyon, 2020 Colorado
Send a message via AIM to FenwickHockey65
OMG the feds can listen in to my conversations?!

I'm soooo scared that the FBI will hear my friend and I discussing random Halo 3 matches we've played over the past few weeks.
Old 03-02-2010, 02:52 AM   #117
Blakout

Drives: 2016 Camaro 2SS NPP
Quote:
Originally Posted by FenwickHockey65 View Post
OMG the feds can listen in to my conversations?!

I'm soooo scared that the FBI will hear my friend and I discussing random Halo 3 matches we've played over the past few weeks.
What's your gamertag? PM it to me and let's team up sometime.
Old 03-02-2010, 04:35 AM   #118
2SSJIM

Drives: 2012 CRT ZL1 #1400
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ravirn View Post
...taken from pages 33 & 34...

OTHER IMPORTANT INFORMATION

OnStar does not continuously or routinely monitor or track the location or speed of your car.
OnStar only knows the location of your car or the approximate speed of your car (as calculated from GPS data) when:
  • there is a request for service initiated from within the car (when you press the OnStar button to speak with an advisor);
  • there is a request for Stolen Vehicle Assistance or to locate a missing person;
  • there is an Air Bag Deployment;
  • there is an Automatic Crash Response;
  • required by law;
  • required to protect our rights or property or the safety of you and others; or
  • required by us to troubleshoot our services.
ONSTAR WILL NOT USE, SHARE, OR OTHERWISE DISCLOSE YOUR LOCATION OR SPEED INFORMATION EXCEPT AS EXPRESSLY STATED IN THIS PRIVACY STATEMENT.

OnStar does not listen to or monitor conversations in your car without notice to you.
It is not possible for OnStar to listen to or monitor conversations in your car without notice to you. When an advisor calls into your car, the following will occur:
  • a light flashes;
  • there is a ring;
  • the radio mutes.
OnStar intentionally developed this functionality so that our advisors cannot override it. In addition, calls through the OnStar system are normally audible through stereo speakers, and cars programmed with text display capabilities will show an indicator of a connection to OnStar on the driver's information panel. Moreover, OnStar's policy requires advisors to announce their presence immediately upon establishing a call into your car.

...aaaaand as a side-note I should point out that, being Canadian, I don't give two hoots about the FBI. But if they're monitoring my communications I'd like to say "How's it going, eh?" from Canada and "How's the weather down there?" Oh, and the folks at CSIS would like to speak with you... they're probably already on the way to your embassy by the time you read this.
2SSJIM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2010, 05:45 AM   #119
HDDAN

Drives: 2010 Camaro 1SS 2007 HD FLSTC
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blakout View Post
This is the first thread longer than 2 pages that I've actually read each post for in a long time. But here's my $0.02.

To me, anyone who has this attitude of "I do have things I'd like to hide, mostly where I go is no ones business after I paid $40k cash for a car" just comes off as someone who does have something to hide from law enforcement. There are people who are paranoid, flattering themselves with the false notion that everyone is out to get them, especially the fuzz, so let them be paranoid.

As far as information being forwarded to Chevrolet or your insurance agency after you take your car to the track, remember this: You have to pay to play. If you don't want your warranty voided, or your insurance premiums increased, then don't take your car to the damn track! Simple as that! Rules are rules, you break them, you pay!

I myself am not worried about being spied on. I don't participate in any illegal activity, or even anything suspicious. And I'm getting ready to serve my country. For Pete's sake, I'll be working for The Man. If I were one of these paranoid people, OnStar would be the least of my worries. We military people are much easier to be spied upon than normal civilian citizens. We deal with classified information, we REALLY have to know when to keep our mouths shut. But on the same token, there really is no reason to be paranoid about being spied on. If you are, then I suggest ridding yourself of all forms of electronic, modern technology, moving out into the middle of nowhere, and living a life that was last lived a century ago.
So you bought a Camaro SS to natter around in because you never break the law. Why didn't you buy a smart car then? you think that if someone takes their high performance car to a closed drag strip and accelerates from zero to one ten that they deserve to lose their warranty? You also do not mind being watched because you are not doing anything wrong? Would you mind having these types of devices in your home? How about a web cam watching you? If you aren't doing anything wrong, why worry? Let's just jump onto the internet and make fun of someone's concerns. I will put on my "tin foil hat" and you can put on your "dunce cap".
HDDAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2010, 06:55 AM   #120
HDDAN

Drives: 2010 Camaro 1SS 2007 HD FLSTC
Quote:
Originally Posted by KnightHawk View Post
Way to take it off the deep end. That's why there are those who make the tinfoil hat comments.

Onstar does not lead to any of what you indicated. 1984 is a work of FICTION, pure and simple. If Onstar scares you that much, buy a car without it. Others have already shown the impossibility of them 'tracking you' or 'spying' on you. Accept it as truth or buy another car. It's pretty simple.
Yes, 1984, is a work of fiction. George Orwell was making a point. If you enjoyed 1984 then try Animal Farm by him. Back to the Onstar. If I could have deleted it, I would have. Any American with the "if you aren't doing anything wrong" attitude probably has never read the Constitution or the first ten ammendments. We have a governor here that wants to put chips in our inspection stickers and tax us for miles driven. Will I need my "tin foil hat" when and if that gets enacted? I am waiting for the law that will give our government the right to ticket us on the turnpike if our EZ Pass registers that we got between toll booths too fast. They tax everything that moves in this state so what would make you feel so secure that the electronic wizzardry will never be used? Anything that you do in your Camaro is recorded by your on board computer. The insurance companies have been fighting for twenty years to get access to these after an accident. I do believe that the fifth amendment protects us from this kind of self incrimination. Maybe we should all don our "tin foil hats" and shred the US Constitution. It is ironic that this Draconian BS would happen here where the "shot heard 'round the world" was fired. In the words of Bill O'Reilly, "I will give you the last word".
HDDAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2010, 07:10 AM   #121
Verio
Taking it 1 day at a time

Drives: 2010 Chevy Camaro 2SS/RS Auto
Send a message via MSN to Verio
Quote:
Originally Posted by HDDAN View Post
So you bought a Camaro SS to natter around in because you never break the law. Why didn't you buy a smart car then? you think that if someone takes their high performance car to a closed drag strip and accelerates from zero to one ten that they deserve to lose their warranty? You also do not mind being watched because you are not doing anything wrong? Would you mind having these types of devices in your home? How about a web cam watching you? If you aren't doing anything wrong, why worry? Let's just jump onto the internet and make fun of someone's concerns. I will put on my "tin foil hat" and you can put on your "dunce cap".
Quote:
Originally Posted by HDDAN View Post
Yes, 1984, is a work of fiction. George Orwell was making a point. If you enjoyed 1984 then try Animal Farm by him. Back to the Onstar. If I could have deleted it, I would have. Any American with the "if you aren't doing anything wrong" attitude probably has never read the Constitution or the first ten ammendments. We have a governor here that wants to put chips in our inspection stickers and tax us for miles driven. Will I need my "tin foil hat" when and if that gets enacted? I am waiting for the law that will give our government the right to ticket us on the turnpike if our EZ Pass registers that we got between toll booths too fast. They tax everything that moves in this state so what would make you feel so secure that the electronic wizzardry will never be used? Anything that you do in your Camaro is recorded by your on board computer. The insurance companies have been fighting for twenty years to get access to these after an accident. I do believe that the fifth amendment protects us from this kind of self incrimination. Maybe we should all don our "tin foil hats" and shred the US Constitution. It is ironic that this Draconian BS would happen here where the "shot heard 'round the world" was fired. In the words of Bill O'Reilly, "I will give you the last word".

HDDAN you often make decent posts... but this one is just

You're using the defense of American freedoms to commit crimes. Yes, speeding is a crime. Do I speed? Yes. If I get caught speeding, I'll pay the penalty. Going to a track and not telling your insurance is insurance fraud (yes, also a crime).

Please don't use the Constitution as a defense for committing crimes... use it as a defense for protecting liberties. Not getting caught for committing crimes is not a liberty protected under the U.S. Constitution.
Verio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2010, 07:17 AM   #122
Angrybird 12
7 year Cancer Survivor!

Drives: 17 Cruze RS, 07 G6 GT, 99 Astro
Think about it, I would say there is over 1,000,000 vehicles with onstar, and many more with similar systems that can be monitored by GPS satellite. (Can you say Lo-Jak) To continously monitor all those vehicles would be a monumntal job. To think any company or the government would do that is utterly ridiculous.

Now for you that say if I or anyone else didn't intend on speeding why didn't you buy a Smart Car instead of a Camaro, you don't need 426HP to speed and break the law, any Smart car can do it, I can do it in my Sunfire or HHR also.. So your argument on that point is stupid...
Old 03-02-2010, 08:01 AM   #123
Rogue Leader
Iatefiberglassinsulation

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Verio View Post
HDDAN you often make decent posts... but this one is just

You're using the defense of American freedoms to commit crimes. Yes, speeding is a crime. Do I speed? Yes. If I get caught speeding, I'll pay the penalty. Going to a track and not telling your insurance is insurance fraud (yes, also a crime).

Please don't use the Constitution as a defense for committing crimes... use it as a defense for protecting liberties. Not getting caught for committing crimes is not a liberty protected under the U.S. Constitution.
Thats not insurance fraud or a crime. However if you were to wreck your car at the track, then have it towed out to a country road, call the cops, and tell them you lost control swerving to miss a deer, THAT is insurance fraud. And people who do crap like that are why everyone loses.
2008 Chevy Silverado 2500 HD LT 6.0 - Tow Vehicle
1991 Alfa Romeo 164S - Project Car
1994 Volkswagen Golf - Race Car

"Like" my race team on Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/farfrumwinnin
Rogue Leader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2010, 08:02 AM   #124
Rogue Leader
Iatefiberglassinsulation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyman 08 View Post
Think about it, I would say there is over 1,000,000 vehicles with onstar, and many more with similar systems that can be monitored by GPS satellite. (Can you say Lo-Jak) To continously monitor all those vehicles would be a monumntal job. To think any company or the government would do that is utterly ridiculous.

Now for you that say if I or anyone else didn't intend on speeding why didn't you buy a Smart Car instead of a Camaro, you don't need 426HP to speed and break the law, any Smart car can do it, I can do it in my Sunfire or HHR also.. So your argument on that point is stupid...
+1

Imagine the logistics of monitoring every vehicle electronically. The law of diminishing returns, the technology to keep it going would cost more than they would mke in tickets, asie from the fact the people would go ballistic from it. Everyone thinks we have no controlbut you would be surprised how much control we really do have.

Old 03-02-2010, 08:07 AM   #125
Verio
Taking it 1 day at a time

Drives: 2010 Chevy Camaro 2SS/RS Auto
Send a message via MSN to Verio
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogue Leader View Post
Thats not insurance fraud or a crime. However if you were to wreck your car at the track, then have it towed out to a country road, call the cops, and tell them you lost control swerving to miss a deer, THAT is insurance fraud. And people who do crap like that are why everyone loses.
That's not true. I know for a fact that if I were to race my vehicle, and I told my insurance company, my rates would be much much higher.
Verio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2010, 08:23 AM   #126
Rogue Leader
Iatefiberglassinsulation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Verio View Post
That's not true. I know for a fact that if I were to race my vehicle, and I told my insurance company, my rates would be much much higher.
No.. what I said IS true. It is not ILLEGAL to race your car and not tell your insurance company, however if they do know you race your car they have the right to drop your policy or jack your rates (most will drop you). There is nothing ILLEGAL about it, nor is it insurance fraud, just part of your policy agreement with your insurance company, same as a contract.