Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Suspension / Brakes / Chassis

Old 03-12-2013, 11:38 PM   #1
Gen5SS

Drives: 2010 SS/RS 6 Spd Manual IOM
Pfadt Solid Engine Mounts

I recently had the Pfadt solid engine mounts installed and having a high loping cam in the engine it vibrates a lot more than I thought it would(I realize there would be more vibration with solid mounts). The vibration makes the rear view mirror vibrate at highway speeds to a point that I can't see out of it clearly(like always having a sub thumping). Is there a way to adjust the mirror to a tighter setting or is that something I will have to live with having solid engine mounts?
2010 2SS/RS, 417 stroker, 4.0 Callies crank and rods, JRE pistons w/hellfire nitrous top rings, Kooks 1 7/8 LT, Kooks 3" Exhaust, CAI Intake and Scoop, Cam SullivanGM W/ Hardened PR, Stock Heads. Dual Springs, Mcleod RXT Clutch, Hurst LL W/ Cruise Momentary, GM 3.91 gears, Nitrous Outlet direct port 200 shot, Dedicated Fuel Cell(C16), LNC2000 and NOS Mini controller, BMR suspension w/Bushings, Pfadt Drop, Pfadt Diff Bushings, 1400hp DSS Axles, DSS driveshaft, Solid Engine Mounts, Razzi Body Kit, Speedhut Gauges,T-REX Phantom Grills (Black) 533RWHP/500RWTQ N/A, 724RWHP/816RWTQ 200 Shot
Gen5SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 12:46 AM   #2
Doc
Dances With Mustangs

Drives: 2010 1SS/RS MT
Yeah they definitely transmit more vibration into the car. Over time you'll notice little rattles and things in the car starting to show up. It takes a month or two but they will settle down a bit as they break in. Even after they break in they'll still be "stiff" however. One of the things I did which helped a lot was get a 1-piece driveshaft from DSS. That eliminated a lot of vibration in the car and added 8 hp and 9 lbs of torque to the rear wheels because of the improved efficiency. I've done a few other things but the driveshaft made the biggest difference.

Here's a link to my project thread which shows the driveshaft swap along with lots of other info you might find useful.

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showth...t=45165&page=5

I had the same problem with my inside rearview mirror that you have. I couldn't figure out any way to fix that. The carbon fiber driveshaft and harmonic dampener upgrades I did helped enough that the mirror is usable now. I've even considered changing to motor mounts that aren't quite so stiff but so far I haven't found any that would be suitable.

The Pfadt mounts do get better as they break in but they're still pretty stiff for the street; especially if you have a loping cam.

Blue Angel is here!!
1SS/RS LS3 M6 IBM
Doc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 10:14 AM   #3
SPCBA

Drives: pleather and Chiclets
been looking into to these, after reading Doc's Blue Angel thread i decided to wait till i got the one piece driveshaft and fluid dampener.
Old 03-13-2013, 09:56 PM   #4
Gen5SS

Doc, I just read your build thread and wow, you have done a lot of things I had not considered for weight reduction and the fact that you weighed it all at the time of replacement and how far your car has come is truly amazing work. Congrats and I will definitely be borrowing a few of your mods like the DS replacement and rotor and pad upgrades. I'm more of a straight line kinda guy but the mods you did would benefit either way I think. Again, nice work and thank you for replying to this post.
2010 2SS/RS, 417 stroker, 4.0 Callies crank and rods, JRE pistons w/hellfire nitrous top rings, Kooks 1 7/8 LT, Kooks 3" Exhaust, CAI Intake and Scoop, Cam SullivanGM W/ Hardened PR, Stock Heads. Dual Springs, Mcleod RXT Clutch, Hurst LL W/ Cruise Momentary, GM 3.91 gears, Nitrous Outlet direct port 200 shot, Dedicated Fuel Cell(C16), LNC2000 and NOS Mini controller, BMR suspension w/Bushings, Pfadt Drop, Pfadt Diff Bushings, 1400hp DSS Axles, DSS driveshaft, Solid Engine Mounts, Razzi Body Kit, Speedhut Gauges,T-REX Phantom Grills (Black) 533RWHP/500RWTQ N/A, 724RWHP/816RWTQ 200 Shot
Old 03-13-2013, 11:01 PM   #5
SPCBA

Drives: pleather and Chiclets
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gen5SS View Post
Doc, I just read your build thread and wow, you have done a lot of things I had not considered for weight reduction and the fact that you weighed it all at the time of replacement and how far your car has come is truly amazing work. Congrats and I will definitely be borrowing a few of your mods like the DS replacement and rotor and pad upgrades. I'm more of a straight line kinda guy but the mods you did would benefit either way I think. Again, nice work and thank you for replying to this post.
his weight shedding mods would benefit in twisties, straight line, and daily commutes...cant beat that.

his thread really is a fantastic resource and he deserves all the credit he can get for weighing and figuring this stuff out for the rest of us. the blue angel thread is one of the top 2 threads on this site
Old 03-14-2013, 12:19 AM   #6
Doc
Dances With Mustangs

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by SPCBA View Post
his weight shedding mods would benefit in twisties, straight line, and daily commutes...cant beat that.

his thread really is a fantastic resource and he deserves all the credit he can get for weighing and figuring this stuff out for the rest of us. the blue angel thread is one of the top 2 threads on this site
Well thank you both for the very kind words. I'm glad my project thread is valuable to you. The Camaro is such a great car and it responds really well to the right upgrades.

Blue Angel is here!!
1SS/RS LS3 M6 IBM
Old 03-14-2013, 08:29 AM   #7
hypurone
I'm not totally useless..

Drives: ...
I have a lot of Pfadt's stuff but went with Prothane mounts instead and have no such problems....
Old 03-14-2013, 09:34 AM   #8
Matt @ FSP

Drives: 2011 Camaro SS
Quote:
I recently had the Pfadt solid engine mounts installed and having a high loping cam in the engine it vibrates a lot more than I thought it would(I realize there would be more vibration with solid mounts). The vibration makes the rear view mirror vibrate at highway speeds to a point that I can't see out of it clearly(like always having a sub thumping). Is there a way to adjust the mirror to a tighter setting or is that something I will have to live with having solid engine mounts?
Do you have an aftermarket clutch? The solid motor mounts will transmit more through the drivetrain, but what you are describing at speed sounds possibly in the clutch plus the solid mounts.. The "high loping cam" is not really any more harmonics at over the road highway speed, its at idle where you will feel the moderate-aggressive cams through the steering wheel more.
Matt @ FSP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 10:59 AM   #9
Doc
Dances With Mustangs

Quote:
Originally Posted by hypurone View Post
I have a lot of Pfadt's stuff but went with Prothane mounts instead and have no such problems....
Do you have a web link so I can read up on these?

Blue Angel is here!!
1SS/RS LS3 M6 IBM
Old 03-14-2013, 12:53 PM   #10
hypurone

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc View Post
Do you have a web link so I can read up on these?
PM'd ya. Not sure if they are sponsors or not....
Old 03-14-2013, 01:11 PM   #11
Gen5SS

I have a Mcleod RXT clutch in which I didn't notice the vibration before the mounts were installed. But this is the new clutch that was redone because of poor contact of the ceramic pads and very bad chatter. It's definitly worse at idle vibrating and I don't really feel it that bad while driving, it's just the mirror shaking making the image hard to make out.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt @ FSP View Post
Do you have an aftermarket clutch? The solid motor mounts will transmit more through the drivetrain, but what you are describing at speed sounds possibly in the clutch plus the solid mounts.. The "high loping cam" is not really any more harmonics at over the road highway speed, its at idle where you will feel the moderate-aggressive cams through the steering wheel more.
Old 03-14-2013, 01:53 PM   #12
Matt @ FSP

Drives: 2011 Camaro SS
Quote:
I have a Mcleod RXT clutch in which I didn't notice the vibration before the mounts were installed. But this is the new clutch that was redone because of poor contact of the ceramic pads and very bad chatter. It's definitly worse at idle vibrating and I don't really feel it that bad while driving, it's just the mirror shaking making the image hard to make out.
I have experienced the same thing with a lightweight twin disc clutch with another manufacturers poly mounts (Which are quite like the Pfadts)... If you hold it at 3500RPM, at idle what does it do..

Remember I'm just throwing out suggestions here as I am not in front of the car to diagnose...
Matt @ FSP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 04:45 PM   #13
ActNup NY

Drives: 2011 1LT Black Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by hypurone View Post
What the difference between the Prothane mounts and the solid engine mounts?
Old 03-14-2013, 06:21 PM   #14
hypurone

Quote:
Originally Posted by ActNup NY View Post
What the difference between the Prothane mounts and the solid engine mounts?
See for yourself. Prothane on the left, Pfadt in the middle, OEM on the right. There is so much more bushing surface area with the Prothane units...
Attached Images