Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 06-08-2015, 08:16 AM   #127
Red2014SS

Drives: 2014 2SS/RS Camaro
People like to say - Financially, no car is really ever a good investment. No matter what model or what it's worth today. You'd have been better off investing the money in other things. And, financially, this is true. However...

One factor overlooked is the joy and pleasure of ownership. If you can keep, drive and enjoy a really cool car for several years, then sell it for nearly the same, or more than you paid? That's priceless. In today's world, you pretty much have to own a vehicle to survive, so you are going to spend some money. Even if you drive nothing but used beaters, it going to cost money. If you put your food budget in the stock market you'd be better off too... but that's not a real option, is it? The financial argument doesn't make a lot of sense in that respect.

If someone were really only worried about money, they'd buy nothing but restored classics from Barrett Jackson, use them as daily drivers and then sell a couple of years later. Get another one and do it again. You probably wouldn't make any money, but you'd get to drive a nice car for very little expense vs the depreciation on a new vehicle.

I don't think anyone thinks the 5th Gen is going to suddenly skyrocket in value. They will continue to be popular cars and, in comparison to other late model cars, they will hold their value well. Judging from resale the past few years, there is no reason to think otherwise.
Old 06-08-2015, 08:58 AM   #128
ricosuave
MC-12W

Drives: 2006 Civic LX, 2011 Camaro 1SS
Here is a question to answer the question: How is the value of the Gen 4 holding up?
Unless 9/10 of the 5th gens magically disappeared in 20 years or so..value of my SS is going to drop...
Old 06-08-2015, 09:04 AM   #129
Angrybird 12
7 year Cancer Survivor!

Drives: 17 Cruze RS, 07 G6 GT, 99 Astro
The only way to really make money on cars that eventually go up in value is to buy one at its lowest point on the depreciation curve or as soon as you see them going up in value. Otherwise you will be waiting a very long time and losing money every day.
The C4 Corvettes are right now at that point. If I was getting something to hold on to I would consider one of those.
Old 06-08-2015, 09:26 AM   #130
titanfan
Account Suspended

Drives: Several in a big garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by elektrik View Post
But how do you account for that opinion when looking at the other generations numbers listed above? They were 'mass produced' as well.
Because it is not about production, it is about demand. If, in the future, there is a demand for 5thGen Camaros, then their value will be high. Personally, I don't see that happening because pretty much anyone who wanted one when they were new got one.
titanfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2015, 06:34 PM   #131
MBS

Drives: 2010 rs 2lt
Quote:
Originally Posted by ztwentypoop View Post
Because it is not about production, it is about demand. If, in the future, there is a demand for 5thGen Camaros, then their value will be high. Personally, I don't see that happening because pretty much anyone who wanted one when they were new got one.
Well I would say production #'s are a big part of the cars value , The5th gen Z-28 i would think will be much sought after in 20 years from now maybe sooner with only about 5K built
MBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2015, 02:18 AM   #132
JCunningham

Drives: 2017 2SS M6
another consideration is the Muscle cars worth the most are the ones with the most power. Not always true but pretty much. We are in a new beginning of the muscle car and we are still making more power with every new engine.
real ZL1 wheels and brakes, 285/305 Michelin Pilot Super Sports, Pray ported Intake manifold, Soler Throttle Body, Rotofab intake, EFI Tuning Flex fuel kit, full American Racing Headers Exhaust, 1 7/8" w/ cats H pipe and mufflers. Full 1LE suspension, with BMR adjustable sway bars and links, GM aluminum cradle bushings, Hurst shifter with lighter reverse spring, TWM shifter knob, Tick level 1 transmission. I should have bought a ZL1
JCunningham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2015, 02:30 AM   #133
Chevy_cowboy

Drives: 2011 IOM 2SS/RS M6 Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by ricosuave View Post
Here is a question to answer the question: How is the value of the Gen 4 holding up?
Unless 9/10 of the 5th gens magically disappeared in 20 years or so..value of my SS is going to drop...

The 4th is still in the declining years. Cars never gain value in the first 15-20 years. Their value will bottom out in the next decade and start climbing again, the 3rd gen was the same way 10 years ago but now the nice ones are starting to bring good money.
Old 06-09-2015, 08:09 AM   #134
joeybsyc

Drives: 2010 Aqua Blue Metallic 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogue Leader View Post
I have to agree with everyone who says just drive it, its not worth it.

The muscle car boom was lightning in a bottle for reasons already outlined in this post. The car market is much bigger and more diverse now, back then the only way to "go fast" for a reasonable price was a muscle car. The kids of that day became the rich adults and drove prices. Now there are SO many more choices Muscle cars like ours, Japanese cars like the GT-R, German cars like the M3 and C63 AMG, etc.

Even the muscle car boom isn't as crazy as youd think. The $3500 it cost to buy a 69 SS new is $22,500 today. Sure makes that $30-$40,000 price at BJ seem a little less crazy.

In 1986-1987 GM made 27,000 Grand Nationals, arguably the most desirable/collectable Muscle car since 1973. New loaded it was $17,000, which in today's dollars is about $35,000. Problem is, you can get a clean ultra low mileage one for around $17-$20k. So the guy who stored that, didn't even break even (having to store a car for 28 years).

But to do one better, there were 547 GNX's made, at $29,900 each which comes out to $62,000 today.... right about what youd pay for a low mileage mint one on ebay now. So again, barely broke even on storing a car for 28 years.

Both cars far more collectible than any 5thgen save the COPO and maybe Z/28. On top of that many more people these days save cars because they think they will be worth something. In the 60's and 70's cars were stuff to be used, nobody saved them everyone just beat the wheels off of them. My Dad's cousin went through 3 or 4 in a year, he crashed his GTO, went out and bought a RoadRunner the next day, cars were almost disposable, as they were a far lower percentage of the average person's yearly salary. People would toss them out like they tossed a broken refrigerator.

Moral of the story, drive it, don't worry about the value, because until these cars are ancient (and I mean ANCIENT) history, they won't ever give you any ROI, other than the joy in your heart of driving it...... which to me is worth every penny.
Best post of this thread.
Old 06-09-2015, 08:24 AM   #135
gajagfan

Drives: 2013 1SS 1LE Black - Std Exhaust
Quote:
Originally Posted by JCunningham View Post
another consideration is the Muscle cars worth the most are the ones with the most power. Not always true but pretty much. We are in a new beginning of the muscle car and we are still making more power with every new engine.
I think this is critical. Keep in mind that when the first gen cars hit their peak in value in the mid 80's, the current Z/28 had like 180 HP! and this was a huge improvement over the crappy gen 2's that had been available for the previous 15 years! Cars are on the upswing. Gen 6's will have more bang than the Gen 5's. Drive and enjoy your Gen 5.
gajagfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2015, 12:34 PM   #136
titanfan
Account Suspended

Drives: Several in a big garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by MBS View Post
Well I would say production #'s are a big part of the cars value , The5th gen Z-28 i would think will be much sought after in 20 years from now maybe sooner with only about 5K built
Specialty models will typically bring a higher premium in almost every case. But what I was referring to was overall 5thGen market value.
titanfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2015, 09:42 PM   #137
Zoneblitz3

Drives: 2013 2SS/RS L99, Crystal Red
I hope they're dirt cheap, so I can collect them like Hot Wheels. It's the fun investment, not the financial investment, that matters to me.
Zoneblitz3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2015, 10:40 AM   #138
Bassment

Drives: 2016 Red Hot 2SS M6
As far as making PROFIT, there is no way buying a brand new mass produced car will result in any measurable amount of profit. BEST case scenario is you break even after 50 years, but that would not include maintenance costs.

However, once the fifth gens are between 10 and 15 years old, and at the absolute bottom of the depreciation curve, there is a good chance buying up SS's will result in a decent profit. V8's will be quite rare by 2025, and should appreciate after that.

A 2010 2SS by 2025 should easily be found for $5k. There is no reason by 2050 or 2060 it can't appreciate to $50k. Same can be said for most cars though, pretty much every car depreciates for 15 years and then holds value or appreciates. Except for rare ferrari's or something which appreciate immediately in large amounts.

Anyone who bought the first gen camaro or mustang new, even if they kept it for 50 years in mint condition, they didn't make money. At best, they broke even. If you bought piles of first gen camaro's and mustangs in the mid 1980's for cheap, and held them until now, you definitely made good money. ( I doubt even a single person did this though)
Bassment is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2015, 12:26 PM   #139
CamaroCracka

Drives: 2010 Turbo LS3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bassment View Post
As far as making PROFIT, there is no way buying a brand new mass produced car will result in any measurable amount of profit. BEST case scenario is you break even after 50 years, but that would not include maintenance costs.

However, once the fifth gens are between 10 and 15 years old, and at the absolute bottom of the depreciation curve, there is a good chance buying up SS's will result in a decent profit. V8's will be quite rare by 2025, and should appreciate after that.

A 2010 2SS by 2025 should easily be found for $5k. There is no reason by 2050 or 2060 it can't appreciate to $50k. Same can be said for most cars though, pretty much every car depreciates for 15 years and then holds value or appreciates. Except for rare ferrari's or something which appreciate immediately in large amounts.

Anyone who bought the first gen camaro or mustang new, even if they kept it for 50 years in mint condition, they didn't make money. At best, they broke even. If you bought piles of first gen camaro's and mustangs in the mid 1980's for cheap, and held them until now, you definitely made good money. ( I doubt even a single person did this though)
If a 2010 SS is 5k in 2025, I'll buy one for parts, maybe two.

2011 Vert - 416/w 230/236 .612/.602 115lsa, 1LE suspension w/32mm rear bar. Z28 diff. ZL1 brakes.
CamaroCracka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2015, 11:50 AM   #140
Kid

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2LT, 68 Camaro RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bassment View Post

Way off on the $5k. Look at the 4th Gen cars. Can you get a '00 SS or WS6? Yes. Is it going to run? No effin' way. Excellent condition examples are going for $12-15k. This is still less than half the price new, but still decent money.

Kid is offline   Reply With Quote