Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 04-07-2012, 03:57 AM   #99
cwahl

Drives: 2011 Camaro SS1 RS M6
A little update.. went by court records and no one called it in so I know I didn't "inconvenience" anyone.

My apt office also asked me if I noticed if the HC sign was up that night. I said I didn't pay attention but did see the new paint on the ground and they said well.. we have work orders for the day after you got the ticket that we put new HC signs up (they gave me a copy of this to show that only 1/2 the required signage was there the morning of the ticket).

I'll give you guys an update after the court date.. and for those saying.. walk a mile/park on the street was an option. I mapped it out... There is not an open retail/ parking on street area within a 3 mile radius of my apartment. I live smack dab in an entire area of gated communities.

and also for the He was given advanced notice.. and that I should have made arraingements. My original repave date was 3/22. It rained that day and I was never informed of when the new date would be... I found that out the night of the ticket.
BOO4OSU is a 2011 Camaro SS1/ RS LS3 M6 equipped with an SLP short throw shifter, ADM Race CAI and skoop kit, Rotoform washer relocation kit. Taylor 10.4 mm wires, SLP SS badge kit, ARH Headers & Full ARH Exhaust, 2SS center gauges and steering wheel controls from GM, Fore Performance Fuel System, Pegasus Solid Subframe Bushings, Bilstein B 16 Coil Overs, z28 shock bushings, Full Hotchkis Sport Suspension, and Stainless Brake Lines.

Tuned by Cordes Performance- Tempe, Az (407 WHP and 407 WTQ).
cwahl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2012, 04:11 AM   #100
Caspers2SSRS
Caspers2SSRS

Drives: Summit White 2010 2SS/RS Camaro
Subscribed...........
Caspers2SSRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2012, 06:30 AM   #101
iHasCamaro

Drives: Silver 2012 1SS
Lol@fighting the system when you were in violation. The cops probably were drooling at the thought of construction that would entice people to park in those spots. Cops ALWAYS pick those kind of scenarios to ***** up because they make the most money that way with the least effort.
iHasCamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2012, 08:20 AM   #102
Texasbeachbum

Drives: 2012 LT2 45th Vert
What has happened to personal responsibility? You did the crime pay the fine. You knew it was wrong to park there before you left the car so take some responsibility and pay the fine.
Texasbeachbum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2012, 09:32 AM   #103
Scalded Dog

Drives: 2011 1LT
It doesn't matter that nobody else "needed" the handicapped parking that night. It's the point that IF a disabled person had needed it, at least one space was occupied by a presumably able- bodied person.

It's sort of like trying to get out of a drunk driving ticket because you drove drunk but did not hit anything. A cop pulls you over, you score high on the BAL test, and get busted... there's not a decent judge on the planet who will dismiss it based on the argument that you did not crash into anything...

So, yes, it was an unfair loss of parking for the OP that evening, BUT, had a disabled person (or three) needed those parking spaces, it would have been far more of an unfair inconvenience to force them to walk a mile.

This armchair Wapner says, "Guilty as charged... pay the bailiff... don't do it again."
Scalded Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2012, 10:23 AM   #104
badazss
SS-500HP

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS RJT
Send a message via AIM to badazss Send a message via Yahoo to badazss
Well in pa if it is private property a cop can not go on the property unless the owner allows them
My truck was hit and run in a target parking lot and the cops told me they could not do anything
I would fight the ticket and maybe they were blind that night and saw the peaking spaces were blocked off
http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=103089
badazss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2012, 02:25 PM   #105
SILVERHAWK

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS, '22 Silverado Z71
Quote:
Originally Posted by badazss View Post
Well in pa if it is private property a cop can not go on the property unless the owner allows them
My truck was hit and run in a target parking lot and the cops told me they could not do anything
I would fight the ticket and maybe they were blind that night and saw the peaking spaces were blocked off

Maybe for certain things when talking about private residences but businesses for instance have public access and their handicapped and fire lanes are state mandated and fall under state law so they can be enforced by the police on private property. Some department policies state that they will not take accident reports on private property but that doesn't mean that they can't. For example...here the State Police in general will not come out for accidents on private property, where my dept will go out and do a report. There are only certain statutes that I can cite for though....insurance and license statutes are not applicable.

OP, I would try and get ahold of the officer and see if you can explain your situation.... especially if the ticket you were issued was a municipal summons. I get a few people a year who will come talk to me about a parking ticket I have issued, at least my supervisors will give me leeway when deciding on whether or not to "prosecute" the violation.

Sounds to me like someone called in a complaint about handicapped violations at your complex, thats normally how we come to enforce them and once its complained about, you have to cite for it...the officer may not have had a choice in the matter or he could have gotten in trouble for failure to take proper police action.

Last edited by SILVERHAWK; 04-07-2012 at 02:42 PM.
SILVERHAWK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2012, 09:17 PM   #106
jmaynard

Drives: 2012 Camaro SS2
Quote:
Originally Posted by badazss View Post
Public parking lots are not private property in the sense you are refering. They CHOOSE not to handle accidents in public parking lots owned by private individuals, but traffic and code enforcement IS their option. IF they choose to write a ticket for parking in a handicap spot they can write it in any spot they can see someone parked unlawfully in. There is no RULE or law disallowing them this action in any state. In fact, even the owner can be cited on his own commercial property if he is not displaying a sticker or hang tag.
jmaynard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2012, 09:19 PM   #107
jmaynard

Drives: 2012 Camaro SS2
Quote:
Originally Posted by SILVERHAWK View Post
Maybe for certain things when talking about private residences but businesses for instance have public access and their handicapped and fire lanes are state mandated and fall under state law so they can be enforced by the police on private property. Some department policies state that they will not take accident reports on private property but that doesn't mean that they can't. For example...here the State Police in general will not come out for accidents on private property, where my dept will go out and do a report. There are only certain statutes that I can cite for though....insurance and license statutes are not applicable.

OP, I would try and get ahold of the officer and see if you can explain your situation.... especially if the ticket you were issued was a municipal summons. I get a few people a year who will come talk to me about a parking ticket I have issued, at least my supervisors will give me leeway when deciding on whether or not to "prosecute" the violation.

Sounds to me like someone called in a complaint about handicapped violations at your complex, thats normally how we come to enforce them and once its complained about, you have to cite for it...the officer may not have had a choice in the matter or he could have gotten in trouble for failure to take proper police action.
Yup, someone called OR this is a problem area and they are in heavy enforcement. You got the ticket and I doubt any judge will dismiss it. This type of violation is a sweet spot for many judges. Not many of them dont know someone who is handicapped so they are less than sympathetic. Park somewhere else and walk.
jmaynard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2012, 09:55 PM   #108
SIN R G

Drives: 2008 VW R32, 2011 Synergy Green 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkneSS View Post
Im an amputee.

If you can navigate the parking lot or the place you are at then why do you need to have special privilege to park?

I just love handicap spots at the mall. If you cant park at the distance everyone else does then how the hell are you going to navigate the mall?

Usually the spots are empty no matter where you go, same in this situation.

What is the logical reason that we need handicap spaces?

Are you kidding me. What did you have amputated, half your brain? I am disabled and due to birth defects I have had to deal with over 25 surgeries in my lifetime and I can still hardly walk. You have no idea the pain I deal with every day, or the pain I deal with even walking the short distance from a disabled parking spot. Most stores I go to the first thing I have to grab is a shopping cart so I can lean on it and get around. I almost never go to a mall because I spend more time looking for places to sit and rest. On top of all this pain I still work everyday instead of staying home and collecting government handouts, even thought I am probably very capable of getting total disability. You sound like the kind of person that makes the comments to me when I do park in a disabled parking spot like, "You drive a car like that, but you need a handicap parking spot". Because I am disabled am I supposed to drive a rusted out 1991 Toyota pickup truck and stay locked up in a mobil home? I may be disabled and I can hardly walk, but I am a much larger person than you will ever be. I can't believe in this day and time there are still people like you that can make a statement like this.

And to the OP. You parked in a handicap parking spot,you knew it was wrong and you got caught. Man up and pay the fine. There may be the day you will need a disabled parking spot, how will you feel if you can't use it because someone like you already has?
SIN R G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2012, 09:57 PM   #109
WheelmanSS
Logic is dead

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS
Send a message via AIM to WheelmanSS
Quote:
Originally Posted by SIN R G View Post
Are you kidding me. What did you have amputated, half your brain? I am disabled and due to birth defects I have had to deal with over 25 surgeries in my lifetime and I can still hardly walk. You have no idea the pain I deal with every day, or the pain I deal with even walking the short distance from a disabled parking spot. Most stores I go to the first thing I have to grab is a shopping cart so I can lean on it and get around. I almost never go to a mall because I spend more time looking for places to sit and rest. On top of all this pain I still work everyday instead of staying home and collecting government handouts, even thought I am probably very capable of getting total disability. You sound like the kind of person that makes the comments to me when I do park in a disabled parking spot like, "You drive a car like that, but you need a handicap parking spot". Because I am disabled am I supposed to drive a rusted out 1991 Toyota pickup truck and stay locked up in a mobil home? I may be disabled and I can hardly walk, but I am a much larger person than you will ever be. I can't believe in this day and time there are still people like you that can make a statement like this.

And to the OP. You parked in a handicap parking spot,you knew it was wrong and you got caught. Man up and pay the fine. There may be the day you will need a disabled parking spot, how will you feel if you can't use it because someone like you already has?
Thank you

"amputee" my ass. The guy is just an ignorant idiot. Ignore him.
- Kooks Stepped Headers, Magnaflow 16580
- Suspension by Pfadt, Hotchkis.

2007 Trailblazer SS- Sold
2001 Trans Am WS6 431 RWHP 408 RWTQ - Sold
1994 Camaro Z28 - Sold
WheelmanSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2012, 10:00 PM   #110

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS LS3
Quote:
Originally Posted by WheelmanSS View Post
Thank you

"amputee" my ass. The guy is just an ignorant idiot. Ignore him.
Not judging anybody at all...but I'm sure a lot of folks who could park legally in a handicap spot, don't do it because they know there's someone worse off than them who really needs it...just sayin'...
90503 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2012, 10:02 PM   #111
WheelmanSS
Logic is dead

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS
Send a message via AIM to WheelmanSS
Quote:
Originally Posted by 90503 View Post
Not judging anybody at all...but I'm sure a lot of folks who could park legally in a handicap spot, don't do it because they know there's someone worse off than them who really needs it...just sayin'...
Not the point.

Dude was saying handicapped space serve no purpose and should be eliminated.
- Kooks Stepped Headers, Magnaflow 16580
- Suspension by Pfadt, Hotchkis.

2007 Trailblazer SS- Sold
2001 Trans Am WS6 431 RWHP 408 RWTQ - Sold
1994 Camaro Z28 - Sold
WheelmanSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2012, 10:05 PM   #112

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS LS3
Quote:
Originally Posted by WheelmanSS View Post
Not the point.

Dude was saying handicapped space serve no purpose and should be eliminated.
Got it...missed that...sorry...
90503 is offline   Reply With Quote