Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Cosmetics and Lighting Modification Discussions

Old 05-24-2011, 02:32 PM   #15
FLYBOY

Drives: Black 2010 2SS/RS A6
Ok, I've done this mod to my car and it looks AWESOME!! I have a 2010 SS/RS. I have pictures on my phone but no way to download them to my work computer right now, you'll just have to wait.

So, I have mine setup to run the turn signals as my DRL's and also have my Halo's on all the time as well, without any switching of the light knob in the cabin. Here's how I did it:

1) I rerouted the power from the fog lights (DRL Power Source) to a relay to the turn signal bulb. This keeps the OEM turn signals on ALL THE TIME. For your turn signal to function properly, YOU MUST HAVE CONSTANT POWER TO THE AMBER BULB (I'll explain below).

2) I rerouted the turn signal power source to the relay to GROUND. Essentially what this does is when you activate the turn signal on the steering column the bulb goes OUT. So as your turn signal power source flicks on/off your OEM amber bulb flashes, effectively functioning as a turn signal (just opposite of what it does normally). It basically just interupts the power source coming from your DRL power.

3) Now, in order to have power to your OEM amber bulbs at night, I tapped into the Halo ring power source. I ran a wire from the Halo Power Source to the relay to the OEM amber bulb. THIS IS ABSOLUTELY NECESSARY, otherwise your turn signals won't function at night because the fog light power source does not come on when the headlights are on. Because of this, you must tap into a power source that is active while your headlights are on. After that, when you activate your turn signal it will actually turn your bulb out (just as before during daylight).

4) You need resistors to trick the computer. Since I am basically grounding out the turn signal power source, I needed to install a resistor between the turn signal power and the ground, otherwise the computer would think the bulb was burnt out and you'd get the hyper-flashing.

5) You'll need to solder some diodes in there as well. Diodes are necessary on the Halo power source and the Fog Light power source "upstream" from the relay. This is necessary because you don't want juice flowing from your Halos BACK through the relay up the fog light power and BACK to the computer.

A couple notes:

- Your flashers won't work if the car is OFF. This is a simple fix though, just turn your lights on.

- The lights won't flash when you hit the unlock button on the key-fob.

I'm sorry for no pics but my car looks just like the synergy green one a few posts up (except Black). This would be a lot easier if I just drew you a wiring diagram but it's at home currently, sorry. Maybe I'll post up instructions in the DIY forum when I get time. If you have questions let me know, I'll do my best to answer them.
FLYBOY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2011, 11:04 AM   #16
FLYBOY

Here's the wiring diagram I used to get the OEM amber bulbs to work like DRL's. The way I have mine rigged, my Halos are also on all the time also. If you didn't want this effect you could install another diode before the power reaches the Halo. Let me know if you have any questions.
Attached Images

Old 05-28-2011, 12:05 PM   #17
RocTrux

Drives: Summit White 2011 2SS/RS
I have a SS/RS I did mine put LED switchback bulbs in they light up bright white like the HID's and come on with just the Halo's and or the headlights and switch back and forth to amber for turn signal and white for running lights. A much better mod than having your DRL/FOG lights on all the time and looking like a dumb-ass driving around on a bright full moon lit summer night with fog lights on, if you live where its foggy 24/7 then I guess that would be an ok mod JMO.... The switchbacks get noticed cause most people haven't seen turn signals/running lights change colors.
Old 05-28-2011, 12:17 PM   #18
FLYBOY

Quote:
Originally Posted by RocTrux View Post
I have a SS/RS I did mine put LED switchback bulbs in they light up bright white like the HID's and come on with just the Halo's and or the headlights and switch back and forth to amber for turn signal and white for running lights. A much better mod than having your DRL/FOG lights on all the time and looking like a dumb-ass driving around on a bright full moon lit summer night with fog lights on, if you live where its foggy 24/7 then I guess that would be an ok mod JMO.... The switchbacks get noticed cause most people haven't seen turn signals/running lights change colors.
I thought about going the LED route but I wasn't too thrilled with the results, just personal preference. I just wanted my amber bulbs on full-time like my '01 had, and I have maybe $15 in this mod. In the future I may put LED's in my fog lights but it's not that important to me right now...
Old 05-28-2011, 12:34 PM   #19
RocTrux

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLYBOY View Post
Ok, I've done this mod to my car and it looks AWESOME!! I have a 2010 SS/RS. I have pictures on my phone but no way to download them to my work computer right now, you'll just have to wait.

So, I have mine setup to run the turn signals as my DRL's and also have my Halo's on all the time as well, without any switching of the light knob in the cabin. Here's how I did it:

1) I rerouted the power from the fog lights (DRL Power Source) to a relay to the turn signal bulb. This keeps the OEM turn signals on ALL THE TIME. For your turn signal to function properly, YOU MUST HAVE CONSTANT POWER TO THE AMBER BULB (I'll explain below).

2) I rerouted the turn signal power source to the relay to GROUND. Essentially what this does is when you activate the turn signal on the steering column the bulb goes OUT. So as your turn signal power source flicks on/off your OEM amber bulb flashes, effectively functioning as a turn signal (just opposite of what it does normally). It basically just interupts the power source coming from your DRL power.

3) Now, in order to have power to your OEM amber bulbs at night, I tapped into the Halo ring power source. I ran a wire from the Halo Power Source to the relay to the OEM amber bulb. THIS IS ABSOLUTELY NECESSARY, otherwise your turn signals won't function at night because the fog light power source does not come on when the headlights are on. Because of this, you must tap into a power source that is active while your headlights are on. After that, when you activate your turn signal it will actually turn your bulb out (just as before during daylight).

4) You need resistors to trick the computer. Since I am basically grounding out the turn signal power source, I needed to install a resistor between the turn signal power and the ground, otherwise the computer would think the bulb was burnt out and you'd get the hyper-flashing.

5) You'll need to solder some diodes in there as well. Diodes are necessary on the Halo power source and the Fog Light power source "upstream" from the relay. This is necessary because you don't want juice flowing from your Halos BACK through the relay up the fog light power and BACK to the computer.

A couple notes:

- Your flashers won't work if the car is OFF. This is a simple fix though, just turn your lights on.

- The lights won't flash when you hit the unlock button on the key-fob.

I'm sorry for no pics but my car looks just like the synergy green one a few posts up (except Black). This would be a lot easier if I just drew you a wiring diagram but it's at home currently, sorry. Maybe I'll post up instructions in the DIY forum when I get time. If you have questions let me know, I'll do my best to answer them.

WOW ok you took the long road all i did was add a wire to the socket tie into the side marker lights
so they would have power for running lights add the resistors put in the led bulbs and VIOLA done...Note : and flashers work when the car is off they do flash amber BTW not white, and my lights flash when unlocking/locking with the key-fob
Old 05-28-2011, 01:02 PM   #20
RocTrux

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLYBOY View Post
I thought about going the LED route but I wasn't too thrilled with the results, just personal preference. I just wanted my amber bulbs on full-time like my '01 had, and I have maybe $15 in this mod. In the future I may put LED's in my fog lights but it's not that important to me right now...
OK I get it now..I think... you have your turn signals acting as your DRL's/turn signals not sure why but ok its your car, do they come on with the lower DRL,s ?
I mush have misunderstood the original poster... My bad...

My DRL.s are just that DRL,s I can turn them off during the day just as GM intended. I just wanted my turn signal light to act as parking/turn signal lights like the non RS models to come on with the parking/headlights.
Old 05-28-2011, 03:11 PM   #21
FL1CK
Switchin' n Twitchin'

Drives: 2011 Camaro
Did they also get the roof ditch molding painted? Looks like an RS with a light harness to me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MagnumForceGB View Post
Thats a Non-RS car with RS headlights.

You could try to get power from the side marker lights and run them to the turn signals. Don't know what the socket looks like on a RS car, but for 3157 bulbs there are 4 contacts, 2 ground, 1 turn, 1 running light.
FL1CK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2011, 04:16 PM   #22
FLYBOY

Quote:
OK I get it now..I think... you have your turn signals acting as your DRL's/turn signals not sure why but ok its your car, do they come on with the lower DRL,s ?

My DRL.s are just that DRL,s I can turn them off during the day just as GM intended. I just wanted my turn signal light to act as parking/turn signal lights like the non RS models to come on with the parking/headlights.
Yes, my turn signals (w/ the original amber bulbs) are my DRL's. I don't have my fogs hooked up at all. So when I crank my car up the ambers and halos are on all the time and that's it. The turn signals still function as turn signals even though they have constant power day or night (that is the function of the relay). My fogs are still there but they have no power to them, fogs aren't that important to me.

In the above post of the Synergy Green car the ambers and halos are on. That's the way my car looks all the time with the exception of night when obviously my headlights turn on also. It took me awhile to figure out how to hook it up right but I finally figured it out and it looks great!! I'll try to post up a vid later and maybe make a DIY also.
Old 05-28-2011, 05:40 PM   #23
2SSRS@Gen5diy

Drives: 2014 Z/28 #82+#192, 18ZLE 66Nova
Quote:

To do what you want, do this that is all it takes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2SSRS View Post
What you need to do is go to you dealer and ask him for two terminal's #7116-4102-08 its in his tray #9 then get some 20 gauge wire, 2x6 foot length and crimp them to the terminal's, then push the terminal's in to the center of the connecters, next t-tap in to your side markers, change the blobs and your done.

Good luck.
2SSRS@Gen5diy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2011, 05:56 PM   #24
bob vogel

Drives: 2010 rs ss
OMG... i'm lucky i can just turn my lights on
bob vogel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2011, 07:43 PM   #25
RocTrux

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob vogel View Post
OMG... i'm lucky i can just turn my lights on
So can I.
Old 05-29-2011, 01:25 AM   #26
Shuffler
God Bless Dawson

Drives: Synergy for my Daughter
What chevy was thinking when they took control of the lights away from the driver.... I'll never know. lol
Old 06-01-2011, 03:36 PM   #27
FLYBOY

Pics of finished product:
Attached Images

Old 10-23-2014, 05:26 PM   #28
Hurst
Camaros Of Northwest Ohio

Drives: 2013 SIM 2SS/RS, LS3
Resurrecting this from the dead... Is there a Harness out there created to do this yet? Looking to possibly do the same thing with my SS/RS.