Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing

Old 04-13-2022, 07:58 AM   #1
Moto-Mojo
Fast Cars and Old Guitars

Drives: 2015 2SS RS (L99, baby!)
15% Ethanol, Your Camaro, Should We Care?

Welp, Enviro-Greta is not going to be happy with the increase in ethanol coming to our gasoline. No one will be happy with lower fuel mileage but more importantly...

> Should we be concerned about possible damage to our engines?

> If you're tuned, should you consider altering it to accommodate the new 15% 'summer blend?'

> Is there any validity to these ethanol engine concerns at all?

> Should we invest in corn futures?
Old 04-13-2022, 08:05 AM   #2
SS 310H55A

Drives: 2014 Camaro SS
I had thought it was only certain states and areas that’ll get 15% ethanol. This won’t be widespread through the US, will it?
Old 04-13-2022, 08:08 AM   #3
Moto-Mojo

Quote:
Originally Posted by SS 310H55A View Post
I had thought it was only certain states and areas that’ll get 15% ethanol. This won’t be widespread through the US, will it?
It’s my understanding it will be national. But I could be wrong.

“Will it affect the engine
Since the early days, vehicle owners had always been worried if blended petrol will affect their engines. A 5% blend may not affect the engines, but 10% mix could create problems. The increase in the amount of ethanol could result in damage to some plastic, rubber and aluminium components. And this could affect the durability of fuel pipes, injectors and hoses.”

I guess if we experience these problems we can just do what everyone else does, blame Putin!
Old 04-13-2022, 08:13 AM   #4
redcoats1976

Drives: LT W/2LT,blue metallic
just more BS from the party in charge.they are going to increase the ethanol content to lower the per gallon price of fuel,which will have two effects.less MPG,which negates the supposed lower cost of fuel,and an increase in the price of other corn products such as food.isnt our current inflation rate bad enough?throw in the unknown effects of an additional 5% ethanol on our vehicles and what it will cost us in repairs later on....is everyone in washington lobotomised or is this just another way to tighten the screws on the working class?
redcoats1976 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2022, 08:15 AM   #5
Scotavo
Account Suspended

Drives: 2013 Caprice PPV 2014 Caprice PPV
Quote:
Originally Posted by redcoats1976 View Post
...is everyone in washington lobotomised or is this just another way to tighten the screws on the working class?
Both
Scotavo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2022, 08:16 AM   #6
NOT A 45

Drives: 13 CAMARO 2SS LS3-04 SILVERADO LS3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moto-Mojo View Post
Welp, Enviro-Greta is not going to be happy with the increase in ethanol coming to our gasoline. No one will be happy with lower fuel mileage but more importantly...

> Should we be concerned about possible damage to our engines?

> If you're tuned, should you consider altering it to accommodate the new 15% 'summer blend?'

> Is there any validity to these ethanol engine concerns at all?

> Should we invest in corn futures?
Straight off the latest GM service bulletin 05-00-89-072E dated March 22 2022.

E85 FUELS: Only vehicles designated for use with E85 should use E85 blended fuel. E85 compatibility is designated for vehicles that are certified to run on up to 85% ethanol and 15% gasoline. All other gasoline engines are designed to run on fuel that contains no more than 10% ethanol. Use of fuel containing greater than 10% ethanol in non-E85 designated vehicles can cause driveability issues, service engine soon indicators as well as increased fuel system corrosion.

This president is a idiot! GM, Ford, and Chrysler will most assuredly have something to say about this.
NOT A 45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2022, 08:49 AM   #7
Scotavo
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by NOT A 45 View Post

This president is a idiot! GM, Ford, and Chrysler will most assuredly have something to say about this.
The President, isn't. This is the policy of the entrenched uni-party. Same as Europe.
Old 04-13-2022, 09:00 AM   #8
Moto-Mojo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scotavo View Post
The President, isn't. This is the policy of the entrenched uni-party. Same as Europe.
You mean that party that Putin was willing to go to war over to avoid being forced into? :O
Old 04-13-2022, 09:03 AM   #9
Scotavo
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moto-Mojo View Post
You mean that party that Putin was willing to go to war over to avoid being forced into? :O
Yes
Old 04-13-2022, 09:09 AM   #10
Scotavo
Account Suspended

The war in Europe:
One side wants Globalism, outsourcing of industry, open borders and unlimited immigration from the Middle East and Africa and the validation of secular values including abortion for birth control for those too incompetent to effectively use contraception.
Russia, the other side, doesn't.
Old 04-13-2022, 09:36 AM   #11
xc_SS/RS

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS/RS
No the computer will likely be able to compensate for the extra blend

Also, keep in mind there are only 2,300 stations out of 150,000+ in the country that sell E15 fuels. So its not making as large of an impact as they want you to believe it is. Its pathetic
Z/28 intake, NW, FAST 102, speed engineering LT's, some exhaust, ATI -10% pulley, GM flex fuel injectors, DSX flex fuel sensor, MGW shifter, HP Tuners, some suspension work, stickers and a little weight loss. 12.63 @113.53
xc_SS/RS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2022, 09:38 AM   #12
SS 310H55A

Drives: 2014 Camaro SS
^^yep not every station will be selling the 15% crap
Old 04-13-2022, 09:44 AM   #13
xc_SS/RS

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS/RS
This whole idea of “my car wont survive 15% ethanol!” is really pathetic. Seals are not rated for xx.xx% of alcohol to my knowledge. They are rated to survive alcohol period.

What do we do to make our cars flex fuel capable? Add a sensor and tell the ecu to use it to read the alcohol % in the fuel. We dont change seals or gaskets or fuel lines….
Z/28 intake, NW, FAST 102, speed engineering LT's, some exhaust, ATI -10% pulley, GM flex fuel injectors, DSX flex fuel sensor, MGW shifter, HP Tuners, some suspension work, stickers and a little weight loss. 12.63 @113.53
xc_SS/RS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2022, 09:54 AM   #14
NOT A 45

Drives: 13 CAMARO 2SS LS3-04 SILVERADO LS3
Quote:
Originally Posted by xc_SS/RS View Post
This whole idea of “my car wont survive 15% ethanol!” is really pathetic. Seals are not rated for xx.xx% of alcohol to my knowledge. They are rated to survive alcohol period.

What do we do to make our cars flex fuel capable? Add a sensor and tell the ecu to use it to read the alcohol % in the fuel. We dont change seals or gaskets or fuel lines….
But you do change the injectors. We already have a high rate of injector problems, I look for this to create more. Bad for the customer, good for me.
NOT A 45 is offline   Reply With Quote