Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 07-16-2022, 04:13 PM   #1
LSAmac

Drives: 14 zl1
any recommendations on a zl1 that's been sitting for 2 months maybe

picked one up from an auction, was just wondering what you guy think i should get done before driving? just as far as oil change, diff fluid change, spark plugs, things like that. Thanks
LSAmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2022, 04:24 PM   #2
gtstorey

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS2,L99, LSA SC
There a lot of people that park their for much longer that 2 months during the winter. Change the oil since you don’t know the history, check the rest and drive it. Maybe check the battery connections or replace the battery.
gtstorey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2022, 06:05 PM   #3
Aqua Blue RS/SS

Drives: ABM #93
Yep get in, turn the key, and drive it like you stole it. My last SS sat 6 months last winter without a single hiccup.

I’d change the fluids fairly quickly but that is something I do on everything used I buy.
ABM #2399 2SS/RS:SOLD
ABM #93 2SS/RS Black Rally stripes, Titanium Interior 4,000 miles: GM GFX side skirts and diffuser waiting on paint, GM dovetail, GM heritage, RPI ZL1 style splitter.
‘87 IROC-Z Iroc blue. all original unmolested with 50K miles.
Aqua Blue RS/SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2022, 06:09 PM   #4
silversleeper
Big Crow

Drives: '13 ZL1
Make sure all fluids are full.
You can also add oil up to the full and antifreeze and that helps freshen them up.
There are two areas that are frequenly low, despite you thinking, no it's just been from the dealer or a car enthusiast so it will be fine.
That's the intercooler antifreeze level. Member Hammdo has hard to find instructions using a 1" diameter clear hose, 1' long. Stick it in the intercooler fill port and keep 1/4 full. Simply refill it so as the level goes up and down 6" when the pump kicks in, the system will still burp itself and not run all over like if you don't have a hose extension sticking up or the cap on. I did it the harder way and kept filling it to near the top and close the cap and let the intercooler pump run turning the car on and off until it got all filled up.

https://www.camaro5.com/forums/showp...24&postcount=4

The other area is many cars are low on trans fluid. If you pull a plug you think is correct it'll drain fluid and will be low. I posted manual pages on how to correctly check it.

https://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=540498
silversleeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2022, 07:41 PM   #5
Rock-It Man
376 cubic inches of fun

Drives: 2023 Camaro ZL1 A10
It would really help to know the mileage!

It's always good to change the oil, but plugs, coolant, brake fluid, and diff oil have much longer lives.

You can see for yourself what the battery's date code is. If the battery is more than 5 years old, replace it and save yourself the trouble of spurious error codes.

If the tire are more than 5 years old, they will probably be noisy and could lead you down a rabbit hole looking for other causes of vibration.
Rock-It Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2022, 08:13 PM   #6
joshnmn
2&THEHIT

Drives: 5th Gen Camaro; 5th Gen Ram 3500
Ditto on battery. Even if "it checks out" or has voltage in band. The cells go bad and it won't carry the current.
joshnmn is offline   Reply With Quote