Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Camaro Issues / Problems | Warranty Discussions | TSB and Recalls

Old 10-10-2022, 05:13 PM   #29
Rock-It Man
376 cubic inches of fun

Drives: 2023 Camaro ZL1 A10
Although dealers are famous for wanting to do excessive "routine" maintenance, like premature coolant and brake flushes, they do have the right diagnostic tools and shop manuals to support major repairs.

Meanwhile, many small shops not only lack these resources, they also have mechanics who don't necessarily know your car or the basics of diagnosis. For example, an acquaintance had her radiator replaced when all she needed was a new surge tank that was cracked. Or the guy who replaced my plugs and plug wires without even considering the ignition coil (yes, many moods ago).

If you're going for other opinions, you should include a Chevy dealer for sure.
Rock-It Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2022, 05:42 PM   #30
DonM
Camaro #4

Drives: 2017-Hyper Blue Metallic-2LTmanual
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rock-It Man View Post
Although dealers are famous for wanting to do excessive "routine" maintenance, like premature coolant and brake flushes, they do have the right diagnostic tools and shop manuals to support major repairs.

Meanwhile, many small shops not only lack these resources, they also have mechanics who don't necessarily know your car or the basics of diagnosis. For example, an acquaintance had her radiator replaced when all she needed was a new surge tank that was cracked. Or the guy who replaced my plugs and plug wires without even considering the ignition coil (yes, many moods ago).

There IS a dealership that sponsors my Camaro Club and they do suggest taking it there when feasible as opposed to other dealers. I really plan on talking to the club's shop in depth about what they find/don't find.
Old 10-11-2022, 05:51 AM   #31
morepowerjoe

Drives: 2012 Chevrolet Camaro l99
God bless you Don for all the years of hard work you've put in for your family. I hope you get some good news on your car soon. And I do agree with what others that have said about the dealer being the best to diagnose your car.
DSS FX Forged Pistons, Eagle ESP L19 Forged Rods, ARP Head and Main Studs, TSP PRC 260 CNC Ported Heads milled .030, Cometic .040 Head Gaskets, GPI SS3 VVT Camshaft, GM Performance Racing Lifters, CHE Trunnions , Molly Pushrods, Melling 10355HV Oil Pump, Cold Air Inductions CAI, Fast LSXR Intake Manifold, Nick Williams 103 TB, TSP 1 7/8" Longtubes with 3" TSP Exhaust, ZL1 Fuel Pump, Mishimoto Radiator, Mishimoto Oil Cooler, Tru Cool 40k Tranny Cooler, 3600 Circle D Converter, Fluid Dynamics Balancer

Build Thread https://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=609817
morepowerjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2022, 07:27 AM   #32
NOT A 45

Drives: 13 CAMARO 2SS LS3-04 SILVERADO LS3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rock-It Man View Post

I agree with everything you say here! I don't get involved to much in the flush game (I call them wallet flushes), I'm usually way to busy with transmission, engine, or electrical work. If it's pre sold on the repair order I will do it, but I rarely go out of my way to recommend them. Only exceptions might be brake and clutch fluids which I do see benefit. The constant flushing of the cooling system is unnecessary.....Dex Cool is designed to go 150,000 miles, and even then you've likely replaced the water pump before that so the coolant was replaced then!
NOT A 45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2022, 07:52 AM   #33
ElderJ

Drives: 2014 Camaro 1LT
Quote:
Originally Posted by NOT A 45 View Post
Here's something crazy, don't ask me how I remembered this but I recalled seeing a service bulletin dealing with reduced engine power.....so I did some digging during my lunch break. Bulletin # is PIC5196E

Don't ask me how or why (way above my pay grade) but any aftermarket lighting either interior or exterior utilizing led, or any upgrade from the standard headlamps to HID headlamps can cause a check engine light (p0092 or p00c9) and reduced power message in the 3.6L cars only!

That's weird. I put LEDs on my ride w/o any issues (2014 LFX 3.6 Auto), so I wonder if this issue is only on the older models?
ElderJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2022, 08:28 AM   #34
NOT A 45

Drives: 13 CAMARO 2SS LS3-04 SILVERADO LS3
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElderJ View Post
That's weird. I put LEDs on my ride w/o any issues (2014 LFX 3.6 Auto), so I wonder if this issue is only on the older models?
The bulletin was for 10-15. It says can cause, so apparently it doesn't always cause. You can google the bulletin number and read it
NOT A 45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2022, 09:48 AM   #35
xstuntman

Drives: 2012 Victory Red LFX
Well Don, I would sure get that missing intake bolt replaced then run the car and check for a vack leak in that area.
2018 SS wheels, red Heritage grille, actual driving lights, ZL1 strut tower brace, GM Performance billet aluminum fuel door, front grille Bowtie delete, painted red rotors and calipers, 1/4 window American Flags, splash guards, AEM dry panel air filter.
xstuntman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2022, 05:45 PM   #36
DonM
Camaro #4

Drives: 2017-Hyper Blue Metallic-2LTmanual
Minor update on the Camaro.

I went out to the car to take a pic of the "Engine Power Reduced" warning and when I went to start the car, the battery acted like it was almost dead. The car did start, but I wasn't sure if it was going to. It's been sitting for almost two weeks and the battery is only about 2 years old...but that doesn't mean it isn't going bad.

When it did start, the EPR light didn't come on and neither did the Service Stabillitrack lights, just a simple Check Engine light. Now I'm REALLY anxious for the 18th - the Club-recommended shop was able to get me in a week earlier, if I can leave it for a few days.
Old 10-18-2022, 02:46 PM   #37
myold88

Drives: SUMMIT WHITE 2SS/RS CAMARO
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1JEWLDSSRS View Post
Oh, and congrats on your retirement!! I did that 2 years ago and am loving it!!
I retired over 10 years ago and moved to SW Florida.
For me every day is a Saturday.
Old 10-18-2022, 05:02 PM   #38
1JEWLDSSRS

Drives: 2011 SS-RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by myold88 View Post
I retired over 10 years ago and moved to SW Florida.
For me every day is a Saturday.
AMEN TO THAT SIR !!!