Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > ZL1 Discussions

Phastek Performance

Old 06-22-2017, 02:54 AM   #1
beowulf68

Drives: 2017 Artic Blue ZL1 Vert
Dent in rear quarter panel

One of my co-workers yesterday was evidently admiring my new A10 Artic Blue Vert in the Company parking lot when he noticed I had a small dent, ding on the body line above the wheel well of the passenger side rear quarter panel. Of course panic mode set in once this co-worker announced his discovery and a bunch of us went out to look at the car. After examining this dent for a bit, it appears there is no paint damage of any kind. Almost as if it was damaged during assembly and painted over. Because of the color of the car, this dent is pretty hard to see unless looking at it in the right light, which is probably why I never noticed it.

So the question is, will the dealer repair this under warranty in their body shop? The dealer is a ways away from my home and work and I don't want to waste time if they are going to haste me about repairing under warranty and then charge me big money to fix it. There is a local dent repair guy who could probably fix this dent very easily for cheap. But being I believe it to be a factory defect, I think the Dealer should do it.
beowulf68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2017, 05:26 AM   #2
crunch527

Drives: Big Brown
Doubtful they will fix under warranty...then again, if you have a good relationship with the dealership they might...

However, if its, "pretty hard to see unless looking at it in the right light, which is probably why I never noticed it " is true, then maybe you don't do anything.
crunch527 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2017, 05:48 AM   #3
PickeringCamaro

Drives: 2017, 2LT/RS, NFG, ADRI, HDBP
I had the same on mine except there were several on both sides right in the body line.

You might want to take a better look in different lights and angles as they are hard to pick up.

The dealer found mine and it seems to be a factory defect. Its was repaired without any cost to me.
PickeringCamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2017, 05:58 AM   #4
NB2017ZL1

Drives: 2017 ZL1 10 Speed Hyper Blue
No wont fix under warranty unless you caught it prior to delivery

My Xpel dealer said he's never seen metal so thin in his life on all the cars he's worked on. It's an apparent potential problem with these cars...

Last edited by NB2017ZL1; 06-22-2017 at 06:32 AM.
NB2017ZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2017, 06:14 AM   #5
HyperBlueX2

Drives: '22 Silverado 2500HD Duramax LTZ
My '16 SS had a pre production ding in the body line on the quarter panel that I found several days after delivery.... My dealer had it fixed by a paintless dent repair service for free.... these guys are impressive on what they can do.....

My '12 SS was a Pep car that had 2 door dings in the body line upon delivery..... again it was fixed by the same repair guy, could not even tell they even existed afterward....
Old 06-22-2017, 06:23 AM   #6
RedCamaroZL1

Drives: 2017 Camaro ZL1
I had a dent in the C pillar that I saw on delivery. Dealer had paintless dent removal fix for me. No charge. But this was found before I took it home.
My new issue is a paint defect that looks like a swirl underneath the clear coat. Can only be seen in the sunlight. This is the second car I've seen this on. The other is my dads SS has a few of these swirls under the clear. Almost looks dull under the shine of the clear coat. Both cars are Red Hot.
Also my paint is thin on passenger door down low where I can see white specks.
The paint on Camaros and the QC could be better. I mentioned this when I got my email survey.
Old 06-22-2017, 06:41 AM   #7
flyinlow

Drives: 2017 Camaro ZL1
I also noticed the paint quality on this Camaro is not as good as my 2013 that was built in Oshawa. Will need to look for some of these dents to see if mine has it.

As for the thin metal, I agree. I have a sunroof car and when I was detailing it I could make the roof oil can by just putting a little pressure on it in the area between the sunroof and rear window. Was not impressed by that, but I'm assuming this is part of the weight savings, eh? :-)
flyinlow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2017, 07:02 AM   #8
crossroaddemons

Drives: 1971 Chevy Camaro
Same here. Small ding in the quarter panel just below the rear window. The car is made of aluminum foil from what I've seen. I don't even set my hose on full pressure as it's likely to cave in the body.
crossroaddemons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2017, 07:15 AM   #9
sengli

Drives: 2015commemorative vert 2SS
I cant get over how thin and flimsy this sheet metal is on these cars. I have dented mine already trying to lean over to wax it. Paintless dent removal works.
sengli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2017, 09:05 AM   #10
Eric SS
#becauseracecar

Drives: 2016 SS Sedan, 2016 Camaro SS
It's pretty common to get little dings above the body lines on the 1/4 panel of our cars. I think it happens a lot of times when the tint guys lean over to cut the tint to the correct size on the outside of the rear window.
Eric SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2017, 01:10 PM   #11
RatedR

Drives: 2017 Camaro SS 1LE Summit White
I wouldn't be surprised if these were coming from rocks kicked up by your front tires.

I have an SS 1LE with clear bra on the rockers and a piece above the rockers and see marks from where things are hitting the clear bra.

I know you guys have wider fenders, but you may want to get the ZL1 Add Ons rock Guards.

I have found rocks on my roof.
RatedR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2017, 02:03 PM   #12
nancygrl
雪の玉

Drives: '22 Z71 RST Silverado
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyinlow View Post
I also noticed the paint quality on this Camaro is not as good as my 2013 that was built in Oshawa.
That's one of the things I noticed on my '16 2SS, the paint job on my ZL1 is better, but it has other defects that I'd need to bring in for paint correction...They're on the front bumper cover and I just don't want the dealer to potentially mess something else up. I'll get to it in the autumn when temps cool down a bit.
nancygrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2017, 02:50 PM   #13
Ron_Robinson1

Drives: A Static line to a pack tray & ZL1
Send a message via AIM to Ron_Robinson1
Paint peeling is covered by the warranty, I already had a issue and they helped me out quickly, but dents they will not. I found a small dent on my exposed carbon fiber hood during my ceramic coating.. I didn't even know you could dent carbon fiber..
SOLD-2011 SS M6: Blower, Cam, Alky, LTs.
Ron_Robinson1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2017, 04:26 PM   #14
beowulf68

Drives: 2017 Artic Blue ZL1 Vert
I am shocked to hear how common this is.....And now that I know how easy it appears to be to dent the body of this car, the wife is parking her car across the street!!
beowulf68 is offline   Reply With Quote