Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > V8 and V6 Transmissions / Driveline (6L80 / 6L50 / TR6060 / AY6)

Old 06-25-2020, 08:06 AM   #1
Cornflakes'Camaro
Counting down the days...

Drives: Black 2011 2SS/RS
Need opinions on clutch replacement

Currently the car has a cam with support mods, making 498whp. It has a carlyle racing 15" conversion with MT radial pros, ZL1 driveshaft, differential & axles along with BMR subframe bushings. I'm building the car back to front to handle the last peice of the puzzle...a procharger or turbo (twin or single) with a small shot of Nitrous. Goal is 800whp or more depending on the stock bottom end and how much it can handle.

Now it's the clutches turn to be replaced. This build is street and strip, so hard launches and short driving trips are likely. Right now I plan on getting the twin disk from Monster with an aftermarket slave cylinder and a steel flywheel (I've read steel is better for hard launches).

Do I need to have the transmission rebuilt, or will replacing the clutch and slave be enough to handle 800+whp? Is my train of thought on this build accurate or flawed? Still trying to learn everything I can. Thank you!
Cornflakes'Camaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2020, 11:36 PM   #2
oldman14ss

Drives: 2014 1ss camaro
might I suggest you look into a reputable shop such as tic performance. you deffinatly need to go with bronze fork pads to replace the plastic ones that melt or wear over time . firms up the shifts and dot forget about new blocker rings and syncros, call tic and they can suggest what you can do to keep your tranny together. might as well you will have it out for a new clutch. when my clutch goes that is what I'm doing.
oldman14ss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2020, 11:38 PM   #3
oldman14ss

Drives: 2014 1ss camaro
if you are considering a monster clutch tic would probably give you a package deal with a trans rebuild one stop shop
oldman14ss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2020, 09:22 AM   #4
Cornflakes'Camaro

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldman14ss View Post
might I suggest you look into a reputable shop such as tic performance. you deffinatly need to go with bronze fork pads to replace the plastic ones that melt or wear over time . firms up the shifts and dot forget about new blocker rings and syncros, call tic and they can suggest what you can do to keep your tranny together. might as well you will have it out for a new clutch. when my clutch goes that is what I'm doing.
Funny you should say that, Tick provided my parts for the Cam swap and did the current dyno tune on it! Thank you sir
Old 06-27-2020, 09:25 AM   #5
Cornflakes'Camaro

(Unfortunately they are 10 hrs away, so they arent the most logical choice.)