Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Members Area > General Automotive + Other Cars Discussion

Old 08-22-2008, 01:16 PM   #127
Design1stCode2nd

Drives: four wheels
The Camaro isn't small, by any means the Challenger is just huge. It's longer than a 300 and it's a two door coupe! Small is a 1 series or a mini or a cobalt. The Camaro is not small, I'd say it's a little to big.
Design1stCode2nd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2008, 02:06 PM   #128
kevin2323

Drives: challenger
Quote:
Originally Posted by Congoman775 View Post
i still think reason the chally is going bye bye first is because its on the wrong platform. and eventually it will catch up with it.

i am really not biased towards the chally out of blindness... i at one time really liked the thought of the car. even went out and test drove an SRT.

I was... well, very dissapointed. i knew from the time i saw it that it just stood out. and because it stood out for the wrong reasons, i immediately didnt like it.

its way to bulky, sits way to high off the ground, and is way to plain on the inside. its got a good engine, but it NEEDS that engine to move.

I think the Chally designers did a good job, but their engineers sent the car to hell in a handbasket.

The Mustang and Camaro will have a leg up on the Chally for a few reasons.

A. Weight. more for the mustang than the Camaro. But weight effects everything, gas, performance, handling, everything.

B. price. nothing has been said for the Camaro officially, but even if GM MATCHES Dodge, the chally will be at a dissadvantage. The mustang seems like it will come in under the bar.

C. it is bland. you may not think so... but how about someone who has never been in a dodge before? do you think they would feel the challenger vibe comming from that interior it shares with so many other cars? As... well... different as the Mustang's interior is, it looks nothing like anything else Ford does. And Obviously GM spent alot of time and effort on the Camaro interior.

D. The Mustang is small. the Camaro is smaller. (but wider ) The Chally is not big enough where it wont repel hardcore mopar guys, but it wont do itself any favors with the general public either...
I have faith that in a couple years they will change the platform, they just couldnt with all the hooplah that went along with the sale of chrysler and they said the challenger would be cut due to money. If all goes as planned the challenger will have a new platform by 2011 -2012 along with better engines and the 6.4. I love the challenger being big....it gives the front the long nose look that the old one had....if not it would look like a 300 with a different front fascia.
kevin2323 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2008, 02:29 PM   #129
Beelzebubba
cheap plastic member

Drives: Mazda6s
The Challenger is what it is....pretty dayum cool.

I am losing faith in Chrysler though.

The upcoming Ram will not have a manual transmission availiable
The Avenger does not have a manual transmission.
It's dayum hard to find a Wrangler in dealer stock that is not automatic.

And I fear that the Phoenix engined Challenger V6 will always be a slushbox.
Beelzebubba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2008, 03:36 PM   #130
radz28
Petro-sexual

Drives: Ultra-Grin
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevin2323 View Post
I have faith that in a couple years they will change the platform, they just couldnt with all the hooplah that went along with the sale of chrysler and they said the challenger would be cut due to money. If all goes as planned the challenger will have a new platform by 2011 -2012 along with better engines and the 6.4. I love the challenger being big....it gives the front the long nose look that the old one had....if not it would look like a 300 with a different front fascia.
Do you know for sure, or have heard, Mopar is developing another one in a couple years? I'm asking only because it's suprising they didn't just wait, like GM did, to develop a new car (I know it's on the G8's platform.) It just seems silly they are going to redesign it in only a couple years. I can definately see better engines, like the 6.4; that makes total sense. I'm only asking because I hadn't heard this before

IMVHO, I've read a lot of posts about how big and chunky the Chally' is and how it's redesirable because of it and such. I don't, personally, think it's that bad at all. I've seen one in person and think the proportions are good and really, the biggest poopoo for me is the 5-speed auto'. I think that was a mistake, but Mopar is taking care of that. It was a big 'ole car back in the day too, bigger than Camaro or the Mustang, so I don't see too big a deal with it. Weight does account for a lot, but for me, if that weight is for the right reasons, it takes a little sting out of it.

Regarless, I'm glad competition is returning because it will only make our cars better

'20 ZL1 Black "Fury"
A10, PDR, Exposed CF Extractor
Magnuson Magnum DI TVS2650R // RFBG // Soler 103 // TooHighPSI Port Injection // THPSI Billet Lid // FF // Katech Drop-In // PLM Heat Exchanger // ZLE Cradle bushings // BMR Chassis-Suspension Stuff // aFe Bars // Diode Dynamics LEDs // ACS Composites Guards // CF Dash // Aeroforce // tint // other stuffs
radz28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2008, 03:50 PM   #131
Angrybird 12
7 year Cancer Survivor!

Drives: 17 Cruze RS, 07 G6 GT, 99 Astro
Quote:
Unless the Challenger is total failure they will not change the platform in a couple years, it costs too much to change platforms that soon( it costs millions to design and build a new platform along with all the tooling needed to produce it). then again if it is a total faliure it will just be dropped. More than likely for the first 5 years or so they will look for ways to incorporate improvments in the existing platform to be more sutable for it's purpose in life. Oh that is MHO.
Old 08-23-2008, 02:01 AM   #132
kevin2323

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyman 08 View Post
Unless the Challenger is total failure they will not change the platform in a couple years, it costs too much to change platforms that soon( it costs millions to design and build a new platform along with all the tooling needed to produce it). then again if it is a total faliure it will just be dropped. More than likely for the first 5 years or so they will look for ways to incorporate improvments in the existing platform to be more sutable for it's purpose in life. Oh that is MHO.
They were already developing a new platform at the time of the sale. They released it because they knew in order to make money to survive they needed to be the first ones out. With the camaro definately being cheaper and slightly faster, If the challenger waited it would be dead even before the first one came out. I am not expecting a new platform but a engine update is definately in order and rumor has it is almost here.
Old 08-23-2008, 09:34 AM   #133
Congoman775

Drives: Muscle
Quote:
They were already developing a new platform at the time of the sale. They released it because they knew in order to make money to survive they needed to be the first ones out. With the camaro definately being cheaper and slightly faster, If the challenger waited it would be dead even before the first one came out. I am not expecting a new platform but a engine update is definately in order and rumor has it is almost here.
And they found bigfoot!

Congoman775 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2008, 09:53 AM   #134
radz28
Petro-sexual

Quote:
Originally Posted by Design1stCode2nd View Post
The Camaro isn't small, by any means the Challenger is just huge. It's longer than a 300 and it's a two door coupe! Small is a 1 series or a mini or a cobalt. The Camaro is not small, I'd say it's a little to big.
For sure. I thought a 4th. Gen. was heavy, but the 5th. Gen. has the cake. That's okay though because everything I've seen and read makes this car leaps and bounds above all predecessor, except the first generation IMHO. I wouldn't go so far as to say it's too big as long as all these features and whatnot pay off in a great car that is out of this segment in terms of quality and content. That's just me though...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beelzebubba View Post
The Challenger is what it is....pretty dayum cool.

I am losing faith in Chrysler though.

The upcoming Ram will not have a manual transmission availiable
The Avenger does not have a manual transmission.
It's dayum hard to find a Wrangler in dealer stock that is not automatic.

And I fear that the Phoenix engined Challenger V6 will always be a slushbox.
Even though it is a Dodge, I do like it, as much as I've bashed before. It may be on a old platform, however, I think they've done very good with styling, especially the exterior. I haven't seen the interior in person, so can't really comment on it looking like other Mopar cars, but that HEMI makes up for a lot of any problems I'd have with the car. When that six-speed comes soon, that will make it even better and faster.

I don't think there are many manuals, if any, for GM trucks, save for the HD versions. IMHO, a sports car should have a manual available, but a truck, especially with these six-speeds coming out, probably doesn't need one as much. I mean, if you're using the truck to haul or pull, riding that clutch away from a stop will take it's toll on the vehicle and your leg, so a good, sturdy auto', would make me plenty happy.

Quote:
The fact that Mopar seemingly took this route is what I had the biggest poo-poo with. Why put a car, that to me, you are hoping to promote the company, on a platform that is like five years old, with really nothing new in it? The only new thing about the car is the sheetmetal. But again, I think from what I've seen and the reviews I've read, they've done a good job for what they had available, and commend them for coming back to the muscle car wars (do we call them pony cars anymore?...) Another thing to go for them is how many people really know that the car is on an old platform and do they really care? Would I care if Camaro came out on the old GTO platform? Probably not, as long as it looked as good as Bumblebee did. Case in point

Quote:
And they found bigfoot!

Actually, they found a $50K costume, LOL!!! (At least that's what I found was reported...)

'20 ZL1 Black "Fury"
Magnuson Magnum DI TVS2650R // RFBG // Soler 103 // TooHighPSI Port Injection // THPSI Billet Lid // FF // Katech Drop-In // PLM Heat Exchanger // ZLE Cradle bushings // BMR Chassis-Suspension Stuff // aFe Bars // Diode Dynamics LEDs // ACS Composites Guards // CF Dash // Aeroforce // tint // other stuffs
Old 08-23-2008, 10:00 AM   #135
Congoman775

Drives: Muscle
Quote:
Originally Posted by radz282003 View Post
For sure. I thought a 4th. Gen. was heavy, but the 5th. Gen. has the cake. That's okay though because everything I've seen and read makes this car leaps and bounds above all predecessor, except the first generation IMHO. I wouldn't go so far as to say it's too big as long as all these features and whatnot pay off in a great car that is out of this segment in terms of quality and content. That's just me though...

Even though it is a Dodge, I do like it, as much as I've bashed before. It may be on a old platform, however, I think they've done very good with styling, especially the exterior. I haven't seen the interior in person, so can't really comment on it looking like other Mopar cars, but that HEMI makes up for a lot of any problems I'd have with the car. When that six-speed comes soon, that will make it even better and faster.

I don't think there are many manuals, if any, for GM trucks, save for the HD versions. IMHO, a sports car should have a manual available, but a truck, especially with these six-speeds coming out, probably doesn't need one as much. I mean, if you're using the truck to haul or pull, riding that clutch away from a stop will take it's toll on the vehicle and your leg, so a good, sturdy auto', would make me plenty happy.

The fact that Mopar seemingly took this route is what I had the biggest poo-poo with. Why put a car, that to me, you are hoping to promote the company, on a platform that is like five years old, with really nothing new in it? The only new thing about the car is the sheetmetal. But again, I think from what I've seen and the reviews I've read, they've done a good job for what they had available, and commend them for coming back to the muscle car wars (do we call them pony cars anymore?...) Another thing to go for them is how many people really know that the car is on an old platform and do they really care? Would I care if Camaro came out on the old GTO platform? Probably not, as long as it looked as good as Bumblebee did. Case in point

Actually, they found a $50K costume, LOL!!! (At least that's what I found was reported...)

haha yea they filled a bigfoot costume with road kill.

they gave an interview where the two guys actualy came out and said ' we were kind of suprised you belived us... i mean, it was a joke. Its big foot. there is no such thing as big foot. "

i guess its, if nothing else, a nice reminder than half the stuff we see on TV is
Congoman775 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2008, 10:04 AM   #136
radz28
Petro-sexual

Quote:
haha yea they filled a bigfoot costume with road kill.

they gave an interview where the two guys actualy came out and said ' we were kind of suprised you belived us... i mean, it was a joke. Its big foot. there is no such thing as big foot. "

i guess its, if nothing else, a nice reminder than half the stuff we see on TV is
Are you SHEETING me?! If so, I didn't catch that (it wouldn't be the first time...)

You know, as much as I wanted to believe they found it, I knew they didn't. It seems to me when there's as monumental a discover as something like this, the media is on it like stink on sheet, and that didn't seem to happen. I personally think it exists because there are stranger things that have been found. Those dudes are D-bags though.

Sorry, now back to our regularly scheduled programming...

'20 ZL1 Black "Fury"
Old 08-24-2008, 05:17 PM   #137
nester7929
Rice Harvester

Drives: 2014 Bright Yellow 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by radz282003 View Post

The fact that Mopar seemingly took this route is what I had the biggest poo-poo with. Why put a car, that to me, you are hoping to promote the company, on a platform that is like five years old, with really nothing new in it? The only new thing about the car is the sheetmetal. But again, I think from what I've seen and the reviews I've read, they've done a good job for what they had available, and commend them for coming back to the muscle car wars (do we call them pony cars anymore?...) Another thing to go for them is how many people really know that the car is on an old platform and do they really care? Would I care if Camaro came out on the old GTO platform? Probably not, as long as it looked as good as Bumblebee did. Case in point :
Well, if you get an R/T, at least the 5.7 is an updated one.
nester7929 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2008, 05:45 PM   #138
Mindz
E.B.A.H.

Drives: you wild...
Location: In the happy padded room wearing a jacket that makes me hug myself...
I saw the challenger for the first time today from the redletterdodge U.S. roadtrip or something. They're on their way to Infineon for the weekend. It looks ok. I thought it was going to look pretty aggressive and like it was going to eat mustangs/camaros. It looked like a big bloated piece of metal. I wasn't impressed at all with the looks. This was on embarcadero so I wasn't able to hear the guy rev at all, he was coasting to a stop and the car was VERY quiet, no loping idle, no loud exhaust, etc. I'll have to wait until one of my friends picks one up to really judge it, but my first impression wasn't favorable. I like the older ones better. They were about the same size, but the original challenger looks better. I think it's the orange color of the new one that hides it's lines and made it look like a blob. I was very disappointed as I like the look of them in photos.
Old 08-24-2008, 06:30 PM   #139
mfr1950

Drives: 2011 challengerR/T , 2010 Ram R/T
I have yet, to see a Challenger in any place other than a car magazine, Has Dodge been selling these for 6 or 8 months?
mfr1950 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2008, 11:21 PM   #140
kevin2323

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mindz View Post
I saw the challenger for the first time today from the redletterdodge U.S. roadtrip or something. They're on their way to Infineon for the weekend. It looks ok. I thought it was going to look pretty aggressive and like it was going to eat mustangs/camaros. It looked like a big bloated piece of metal. I wasn't impressed at all with the looks. This was on embarcadero so I wasn't able to hear the guy rev at all, he was coasting to a stop and the car was VERY quiet, no loping idle, no loud exhaust, etc. I'll have to wait until one of my friends picks one up to really judge it, but my first impression wasn't favorable. I like the older ones better. They were about the same size, but the original challenger looks better. I think it's the orange color of the new one that hides it's lines and made it look like a blob. I was very disappointed as I like the look of them in photos.
check out black in person, that is one aggressive mean car, orange I hate. I like the old one better as well. But that goes for camaros and mustangs as well IMO.