Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V6 LLT Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 11-11-2010, 10:26 AM   #1
Demon Hunter

Drives: 2010 Black Camaro LT
SS Mid-pipes...

So, I was thinking... I live in California and am stuck with only being able to use shorty headers. So in an effort for better performance, I'm wondering if the SS mid-pipes would bolt up to the v6 maybe with only some slight modifications and if there would be any real gain from doing so.... Just food for thought. Anybody out there actually done this? At least that way, the cats would appear to be stock & we could pass the visual inspection.
Old 11-11-2010, 10:52 AM   #2
BaylorCamaro
Track > 1/4 Mile

Drives: 2016 C7 Z51
Yup I've done it. Fits on super easy. My LT headers were 2.5" and my axle back was 2.5" however the V6 stock midpipes are 2.25" So I was going from 2.5" to 2.25" to 2.5" with the SS midpipe swap the entire system is 2.5" I did this mainly to aid in the sound, it was starting to sound a little raspy but I suspected it was because of the midpipes being smaller than my headers and axle back. Sure enough when I opened the entire system up to 2.5" it took a lot of the rasp that I had out. As far as performance I doubt it did anything, maybe it helped a little but nothing huge.
BaylorCamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2010, 11:37 AM   #3
Demon Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaylorAirForce View Post
Yup I've done it. Fits on super easy. My LT headers were 2.5" and my axle back was 2.5" however the V6 stock midpipes are 2.25" So I was going from 2.5" to 2.25" to 2.5" with the SS midpipe swap the entire system is 2.5" I did this mainly to aid in the sound, it was starting to sound a little raspy but I suspected it was because of the midpipes being smaller than my headers and axle back. Sure enough when I opened the entire system up to 2.5" it took a lot of the rasp that I had out. As far as performance I doubt it did anything, maybe it helped a little but nothing huge.
Thanks man! Good to know. I'm going to start looking into finding a set.
Old 11-11-2010, 11:41 AM   #4
BaylorCamaro
Track > 1/4 Mile

Drives: 2016 C7 Z51
Post in the classifieds section, that's how I found mine.
BaylorCamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2010, 11:59 AM   #5
Demon Hunter

Just had a thought. Your running longtubes. I also want to know if the cats & down pipe will fit also.
Old 11-11-2010, 08:32 PM   #6
NOVAK

Drives: 2015 ZL1
Demon Hunter,

I am curious to know what your current exhaust system is set up with. I decided to purchase the Gibson axel back based on reading a few of your posts. I too live in California (Sacramento) and would love to install some LT headers but I think I'm going to play it safe with some shorties. I read somewhere that Gibson might be coming out with shorties soon? Anyway, I noticed your set up wasn't in your signature and didn't find it elsewhere so I figured I'd ask.
NOVAK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2010, 11:14 AM   #7
Demon Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by NOVAK View Post
Demon Hunter,

I am curious to know what your current exhaust system is set up with. I decided to purchase the Gibson axel back based on reading a few of your posts. I too live in California (Sacramento) and would love to install some LT headers but I think I'm going to play it safe with some shorties. I read somewhere that Gibson might be coming out with shorties soon? Anyway, I noticed your set up wasn't in your signature and didn't find it elsewhere so I figured I'd ask.
I actually updated my signature and my setup is now in it. I was the one that posted the thread about the Gibson Shorties. I'm not sure if I'll have the patience to wait for those. It'll either be that or the DT shorties. I'm also looking at switching over to 2.5" pipingfor the whole system.
Old 11-12-2010, 12:00 PM   #8
Blade

Drives: 2016 Camaro 2SS BVM
Send a message via AIM to Blade
If you want some pictures on how the SS midpipes were fab to my system, click on the link for the ARH Longtubes in my sig, and check ou the pictures in the beginning of the video.

Now since you have shorties, I think you have have some work to do to make it fit to the downpipe. My suggestion, get with the guy at your shop, and see what he thinkgs. There's decent work to be done when it comes to stuff like this, and your best bet is to take your time and research every possible scenario. Because if you eff up your down pipe, not sure how much fun you gonna have doing this upgrade. Know what I mean?

2012 2SS/RS Build Thread - Totaled by red light runner

2010 LT/RS Build Thread - Traded in for 2012 2SS

2007 Acura TSX

1992 Oldsmobile Achieva V6

1992 Mercury Sable
Blade is offline   Reply With Quote