Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Forced Induction - V6

Old 11-10-2011, 12:44 PM   #43
Pt_killa

Drives: Black 2010 Camaro V6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Can't_C_Me View Post
+1

Turbo's for the LLT's run close to $2k more than this kit. And you have less chances of melting the turbo or detonating your motor. Basically it's good reliable power with hardly no maintenance compared to a turbo kit. And the price is on pare with the Mustang kit's which is a better comparison.
Where are you guys getting your numbers, the proven RX Performance base twin turbo kit is only $5999 for the same amount of hp and more. I think the sts is near the same price too.

You are correct in the fact that centrifugal superchargers may have less maintainence IF a problem occurs since there are less parts but there is also a reason why exhaust driven superchargers are used in most factory vehicles. The parts for turbos are cheap to replace and turbos last just as long as centrifugals if treated right. Also power can be upped on a turbo at the push of a button while average centri systems need a pulley swap, new belt ect.

I do like the ease of installation of a centrifugal system though, especially ones that run with the stock belt and have a self contained oiling system.
(Sold Sept 2015) Stock 18" Heritage w/ BFG G-Force ZR tires / Blacked out bowties and tail lights / DIY Remote-Mount Turbo Kit (Precision 6776S .81ar ex. @ 6.5psi, Tial 38mm WG, Greddy Type-S BOV) / RX Catch Can / RX-FTI 3600 Stall / Blue Well Lights / Team LLT
Pt_killa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2011, 01:25 PM   #44
Blade

Drives: 2016 Camaro 2SS BVM
Send a message via AIM to Blade
Quote:
Originally Posted by scrming View Post
Personally I would like to see some real life chassis dyno numbers before I would talk about the amount of power... the dyno sheet they show definitely is an engine dyno sheet... makes me wonder if they simply took say the number off of this engine dyno sheet, plugged some of the numbers into Excel and made their own baseline:

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=90576

makes me wonder if IPF is just "doing the math" to come up with their 435 HP.... ??? Yes, they have a car... yes, they had it to SEMA... no, that doesn't mean it actually runs...
Well we have all learned on this board that Dyno Sheets arent everything. I really want to see these cars run and post up some vids and time slips. Hopefully IPF will do that soon, before winter sets in.

2012 2SS/RS Build Thread - Totaled by red light runner

2010 LT/RS Build Thread - Traded in for 2012 2SS

2007 Acura TSX

1992 Oldsmobile Achieva V6

1992 Mercury Sable
Blade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2011, 02:20 PM   #45
Steppenwolf1980

Drives: Chevy Camaro & Opel Speedster Turbo
I can tell you that IPF is partly-owned by one quite well-known German tuning company which I heard mostly good things of. I even use parts of them in my Speedster. Usually I rely on their products, but I am also aware that this Supercharger Kit is kind of unique in the moment. I am VERY interested in it, but I wait for a couple of months to read some reviews and experiences.

Basically I am a Turbo guy, but since I've been waiting for a smart turbo kit for two years now, I just got tired. I'd never install a turbocharger at the bottom of my Camaro, since I use it all year (also in winter) here in snowy Austria. The turbo would be unprotected against dirt, salt (from de-icing the streets in winter) and mechanical impacts, I am pretty sure I'd brake it within half a year. Also I only read about problems with increased boosts, so all the currently offered turbo kits don't make sense to me, even though I'd prefer a turbo over a supercharger. The turbo produces a lot more torque which I personally like, but which is also stressing the power train and clutch. Bonus of the supercharger is a quicker spool since it is powered by belt and not by exhausts. I am waiting for the European pricing of the IPF kit and will probably get one then, maybe next spring.
Steppenwolf1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2011, 03:13 PM   #46
ZNOLMT

Drives: Rally Yellow 2LT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steppenwolf1980 View Post
I can tell you that IPF is partly-owned by one quite well-known German tuning company which I heard mostly good things of. I even use parts of them in my Speedster. Usually I rely on their products, but I am also aware that this Supercharger Kit is kind of unique in the moment. I am VERY interested in it, but I wait for a couple of months to read some reviews and experiences.

Basically I am a Turbo guy, but since I've been waiting for a smart turbo kit for two years now, I just got tired. I'd never install a turbocharger at the bottom of my Camaro, since I use it all year (also in winter) here in snowy Austria. The turbo would be unprotected against dirt, salt (from de-icing the streets in winter) and mechanical impacts, I am pretty sure I'd brake it within half a year. Also I only read about problems with increased boosts, so all the currently offered turbo kits don't make sense to me, even though I'd prefer a turbo over a supercharger. The turbo produces a lot more torque which I personally like, but which is also stressing the power train and clutch. Bonus of the supercharger is a quicker spool since it is powered by belt and not by exhausts. I am waiting for the European pricing of the IPF kit and will probably get one then, maybe next spring.
I think a lot of people on Camaro5 had the same concerns. I know I did!

I didn't want to do a remote mount, because we do regular drives to the snow in the winter, and the roads are all de-iced with heavy salt. Also, the car is daily driven.

This supercharger kit seems to address those issues. Low boost, and it's nice and safe under the hood. I'd like a turbo, but this kit seems to make decent power while maintaing daily drivability, and it has a warranty.

I wonder though, if they'll offer options for more power. I'd like it to be a bit more powerful than 435 bhp. 400 RWHP would be great!
ZNOLMT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2011, 04:48 PM   #47
Can't_C_Me
Don't Sleep on My V6

Drives: 2016 C7 1LT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pt_killa View Post
Where are you guys getting your numbers, the proven RX Performance base twin turbo kit is only $5999 for the same amount of hp and more. I think the sts is near the same price too.

You are correct in the fact that centrifugal superchargers may have less maintainence IF a problem occurs since there are less parts but there is also a reason why exhaust driven superchargers are used in most factory vehicles. The parts for turbos are cheap to replace and turbos last just as long as centrifugals if treated right. Also power can be upped on a turbo at the push of a button while average centri systems need a pulley swap, new belt ect.

I do like the ease of installation of a centrifugal system though, especially ones that run with the stock belt and have a self contained oiling system.
You are right, I had the "install and tune" price confused with just buying the turbo kit price. I sent Tracy a PM asking for an update on his future LLT parts. And in there he wrote the break down of the kit. And equals about the same as the SC kit.
Old 11-10-2011, 07:17 PM   #48
One Sick Camaro
That Cam though...

Drives: 11 Camaro 2SS 02 T/A WS6 15 SSV
signed up seems good
Old 11-10-2011, 07:38 PM   #49
trooper182

Drives: 2011 Camaro 1LT yellow non RS
Here are some replies I got from them

Retail price on the kit is $5600 and it is available with a supplemental 3/36k warranty for an additional $375.

Thanks,

Jason

Horsepower numbers are at the crank. 5-6 hour install with no modifications. We utilize our tuning technology with our IPF tuner (more information on our Facebook page).

Thanks,

Jason
Staff Sergeant U.S. Army 13B Gun Bunny. 2011 Camaro 1LT A6 Mods: Pypes bomb V8 exhaust, Magnaflow x-pipe, resonator delete, Roto-Fab cold air intake, Vmax Black Ice-olator, Elite Engineering catch can, painted engine cover and fuse box cover, 3dCarbon Front Fender Vents, Street Scene Front Splitter, ZL1 Side Rockers, Anvil Notch Rear Spoiler, interior/engine bay LED lights, two JL Audio W3's 10" and 1000w kenwood amp
trooper182 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2011, 08:59 PM   #50
Mach

Drives: White M6 1LT RS
What exactly does this Warranty cover?
Pfadt Sway Bars - FE3 Suspension - Barton Shifter - IdealG's Clutch Master Cylinder - Trifecta - Vmax TB - Vararam Intake - MACE 25mm Insulator - Plenum Insulator - Ported/Gasket Matched Intake Manifold - Rx Catchcan - AAC DRL's - 4 Pack Aux Gauges - Steering Controls - AAC Afterburners - DIY Led Sidemarkers - ZL1 Front End

Next mod: Done!
Mach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2011, 09:34 PM   #51
SIXJAK

Drives: MO's only SC'd LLT.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mach View Post
What exactly does this Warranty cover?
Hmmmmmmm prolly just the unit itself and the parts it came with. These motors are pricey so I doubt they're covered.
IPF supercharger kit, IPF tune, SW LT's, R. Tech HFC's, ARK DT-S catback, SS Brembo brake upgrade, BC Racing adjustable coilovers, Hurst STS, Pfadt rear arm package, Pfadt adjustable sways & end links, Pfadt diff bushings, BMR rear cradle full kit blk bezels,SS diffuser, Innovate gauges.
SIXJAK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2011, 09:48 PM   #52
Vader2011v6

Drives: 2014 custom blue ZL1
Just got a response from the company . Looks like they are about to start the process to make the kit carb legal.target date in mid 2012.
Old 11-11-2011, 12:15 AM   #53
Blacc Mamba
SoCal HT5

Drives: 2010 Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vader2011v6 View Post
Just got a response from the company . Looks like they are about to start the process to make the kit carb legal.target date in mid 2012.
Old 11-11-2011, 12:54 AM   #54
ZNOLMT

Drives: Rally Yellow 2LT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vader2011v6 View Post

Sold.
ZNOLMT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2011, 05:38 AM   #55
scrming
Red Brick of Vengeance!

Drives: 12 Second Brick
Quote:
Originally Posted by SIXJAK View Post
Hmmmmmmm prolly just the unit itself and the parts it came with. These motors are pricey so I doubt they're covered.
No, it may actually cover the whole powertrain... I know Roush does (or used to) this with it's Mustang kits.... you do however have to have it installed at an AUTHORIZED shop...
scrming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2011, 06:04 AM   #56
scrming
Red Brick of Vengeance!

Drives: 12 Second Brick
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steppenwolf1980 View Post

I can tell you a centrifugal supercharger is NOT going to "spool" faster than a properly sized turbo. A centrifugal supercharger basically makes max boost at max RPM. In other words the boost comes on a lot slower... where as a turbo makes max boost a lot sooner.

With a centrifugal, i think the Camaro's stock rear end gearing will make it feel a bit more sluggish... for a centri i would run like a 3.73 in a manual and possible a 4.10 in an automatic...

Having owned both now, there is no way I would go back to a centri...
scrming is offline   Reply With Quote