Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Specific Packages / Variants > 6th gen Camaro 1LE

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 09-12-2016, 07:44 PM   #183
RLHMARINES
1st Civ. Div.

Drives: Camaroless for now...RIP "Big SexZ"
Let's please stay on topic everyone.......the last time I looked, there was NO drag strip at VIR...

The showing in the Lightning Lap by the 1LE's and the Grand Sport was amazing to say the least. I'm convinced GM has the best all around performance division engineers and test drivers in the industry, bar none.

John Heinricy left a well stacked unit of test engineers after his retirement a few years ago but Aaron Link and Jim Mero are the two most well known of the crew for Team Camaro and Team Corvette respectively and we all know Mark Stielow as the lead engineer on the 5th Gen Z/28.

Last edited by RLHMARINES; 09-12-2016 at 09:51 PM. Reason: spelling
RLHMARINES is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2016, 09:49 PM   #184
hotlap

Drives: 20 1LE 2SS M6 Rally Green
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mustang Fanboy View Post
You have no idea who the driver was for each lap, what the track conditions were, what the da was etc. On the same day with the same driver, the GTPP could very well be seconds faster than the V61LE or vice versa. Great vs poor DA can take off 1/2 second in a 1/4 mile blast. Imagine what it would do on that track.
From the C&D LL article. The V6 1LE
Quote:
.... it leaves in its wake a parade of more powerful and expensive cars, and it absolutely stomps its current Blue Oval rival, the Mustang EcoBoost equipped with the Performance package. Were they on the track at the same time, the boosted Mustang would only be exiting Hog Pen onto the front straight as the Camaro crossed the start/finish line at 3:04. The Ford needs an additional 11.6 seconds to complete its lap. And it gets worse for the Mustang acolytes: Despite a 100-hp deficit, the 1LE laps VIR faster than the eight-cylinder Mustang GT.

"the trouble with our liberal friends is not that they're ignorant; it's just that they know so much that isn't so.”
Ronald Reagan -
hotlap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2016, 09:29 AM   #185
Thor142

Drives: 2014 2LS (traded in) 2015 1SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by b4z View Post
I think people who buy the V6 will want a little more tq off the corners. The 3.6l is not known for having much below 3500 rpms. And since the 3.6l is not that much lighter than the 6.2l, where it counts(over the front end) I don't see thaT it will have much appeal.
I do like that the 1 le will have Mrc. I think that will improve the ride quality over the 5 th gen 1 le.
If the V6 drops out of the power band below 3500rpm then you don't let it drop that low on the track. Track driving 101: keep your car in it's power band at all times.
I don't think either version of the 1LE will sell that well. Look at the % of 1LE package sales compared to overall sales in the 5th gen. You're going to get a few people that buy it cause it's "cool", and a few people who actually want a track car.
Among the small percentage of people who actually do track days I bet there will be about a 50/50 split between the V6 and V8. There are TONS of people at track days who run whatever they can afford or whatever they happen to have. The V6 is a hell of a car and within reach of some people that want a great track car but can't afford the v8.
Old 09-13-2016, 09:37 AM   #186
Mustang Fanboy
Account Suspended

Drives: Poop
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotlap View Post
From the C&D LL article. The V6 1LE
They are making assumptions again, based on different drivers on different days over a year apart.
Mustang Fanboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2016, 09:53 AM   #187
ChefBorOzzy

Drives: 2016 F150
Quote:
They are making assumptions again, based on different drivers on different days over a year apart.
I'd fine it hard to believe that the eco okay PP would cut almost 12 seconds off its time to match the v6 1LE.. Even if it cut 5 seconds, it's still a stomping.

I'll give more credit to Motor Trends testing though as they run a professional driver. Save the "paid off" crap, folks.
ChefBorOzzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2016, 09:54 AM   #188
FNxR3DNECK

Drives: 2017 SS 1LE
Quote:
Are you sure it's different drivers???
FNxR3DNECK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2016, 10:00 AM   #189
whiteboyblues2001

Drives: 1SS, A8, MRC, NPP, Blade Spoiler
Quote:
11.6 seconds slower? No wonder they started the EcoBoost last year, it took that long to finish!!! If you want them run on the same day, Ford is going to have to build a faster car.
whiteboyblues2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2016, 10:20 AM   #190
hotlap

Drives: 20 1LE 2SS M6 Rally Green
Quote:
11.6 seconds is a solid ass kicking and besting the much more powerful GT shows how good it is. You can't just dismiss it as a different day.

C&D praised the V6 1LE as being absolutely stuck to the road and uninterruptable. All it needs is more power... the SS 1LE

"the trouble with our liberal friends is not that they're ignorant; it's just that they know so much that isn't so.”
Ronald Reagan -
hotlap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2016, 10:21 AM   #191
SpeedIsLife

Drives: Current Camaro-less
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotlap View Post
11.6 seconds is a solid ass kicking and besting the much more powerful GT shows how good it is. You can't just dismiss it as a different day.

C&D praised the V6 1LE as being absolutely stuck to the road and uninterruptable. All it needs is more power... the SS 1LE
Can we then assume a GTPP is as fast or faster than a Gen5 1LE since that test was also was on a different day and different time?
SpeedIsLife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2016, 10:26 AM   #192
Thor142

Drives: 2014 2LS (traded in) 2015 1SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpeedIsLife View Post
Can we then assume a GTPP is as fast or faster than a Gen5 1LE since that test was also was on a different day and different time?
I don't see why not. We're magazine racing after all
Old 09-13-2016, 10:32 AM   #193
SpeedIsLife

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thor142 View Post
I don't see why not. We're magazine racing after all
That was my thinking as well..

I'm sure there will be some reason why it's okay to compare different days and times then when the V6 1LE is shining, but we need to have same day same driver when the Mustang is winning or in danger of winning.
Old 09-13-2016, 10:34 AM   #194
ChefBorOzzy

Drives: 2016 F150
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpeedIsLife View Post
That was my thinking as well..

I'm sure there will be some reason why it's okay to compare different days and times then when the V6 1LE is shining, but we need to have same day same driver when the Mustang is winning or in danger of winning.
OH, please. Read the posts on Mustang forum and comparisons.. It's far worse.
ChefBorOzzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2016, 10:38 AM   #195
SpeedIsLife

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChefBorOzzy View Post
OH, please. Read the posts on Mustang forum and comparisons.. It's far worse.
I'm not concerned with the Mustang forums.
Old 09-13-2016, 10:39 AM   #196
SS 1LE
マスタング = 遅い

Drives: 2017 Chevrolet Camaro SS 1LE
Just wait for Motor Trends Best Drivers Car test coming soon folks...

That is the same driver, and a pro...Car and Driver uses a few (non pro) drivers. Going by the rumors, the ass kicking will be even worse...
SS 1LE is offline   Reply With Quote