Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Forced Induction - V8

Old 10-16-2017, 04:44 PM   #1
EV1L SS

Drives: 2010 ss , cam, magnacharger , etc
Best forced induction for mid 10s ?

I currently have a muggy set up that I was going to turn up this winter to try make upper 600s whp on a mustang dyno. Currently I'm at 603rwhp which I believe with seat time will allow me to crack the 10s in good weather. I really want a mid 10second street car... I was all ready to turn up the maggy and do some cooling mods then I was thinking about pulling the maggy and going with a ysi or f1r set up so when I build the bottom end I have a lot of the room to grow... Now after speaking to different tunners today they all told me the maggy would be best for a 10 second car and the best for the street... What do you guys think ? How would a ysi feel vs the maggy set up on street ? Thanks
EV1L SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2017, 05:05 PM   #2
bct10985

Drives: 2010 2SS LS3, 2013 duramax
Look on the fast list and see what they have. Its possible with a Magnuson.
Old 10-16-2017, 06:04 PM   #3
AGP Turbo

Drives: All things Turbocharged
Maggy cars are much slower on the streets around here than YSI cars. Not even close.
If you look beyond only saying you want mid 10's and say you want a car that can run mid 10's at 136+mph, you might ultimately be happier. Like you are seeing now, it kinda sucks to be dependent on low DA, good track prep and the perfect run to hit the numbers you want. With a higher power car you can be much less abusive to the car on the launch and just muscle out your mid 10, every time regardless of the stars aligning.
AGP Turbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2017, 06:13 PM   #4
EV1L SS

Quote:
Originally Posted by AGP Turbo View Post
Maggy cars are much slower on the streets around here than YSI cars. Not even close.
If you look beyond only saying you want mid 10's and say you want a car that can run mid 10's at 136+mph, you might ultimately be happier. Like you are seeing now, it kinda sucks to be dependent on low DA, good track prep and the perfect run to hit the numbers you want. With a higher power car you can be much less abusive to the car on the launch and just muscle out your mid 10, every time regardless of the stars aligning.
Yeah I kinda figured that .... Prior to this camaro I had a 1030rwhp F1r 408 fixed roof coupe then a c6 z06 with a d1sc.. I know that's comparing Apple to oranges with the camaros but still unsure of what exactly works on these cars to achieve my goals..... AGP I swore I'd never go turbo again but we may have to talk lol
Old 10-16-2017, 06:14 PM   #5
EV1L SS

Btw I had an 03 cobra fully built 4.6 with twin 64s that made a shit ton of power but I hated it , you could have a conversation while it spooled up ..... But once it did omg
Old 10-16-2017, 06:16 PM   #6
cc-rider

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by bct10985 View Post
Look on the fast list and see what they have. Its possible with a Magnuson.
That’s exactly right. Look at the fast list here and see what kind of systems are being used and their supporting mods.

That being said, it can be done with any of the systems out there. But you need to see the supporting mods that go along with it to add up the total cost to get there.

Spend a few nights searching and reading here on this site. It’s all well documented. And if you read enough threads and posts and weed out the “I know a guy” comments and stick to reading the post from those who actually have the systems...you’ll have a great idea of all the options.

All the systems are good and have their place. Understand the trade offs of each of them. And pick which one you like best!
cc-rider is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2017, 06:25 PM   #7
EV1L SS

Quote:
Originally Posted by cc-rider View Post
That’s exactly right. Look at the fast list here and see what kind of systems are being used and their supporting mods.

That being said, it can be done with any of the systems out there. But you need to see the supporting mods that go along with it to add up the total cost to get there.

Spend a few nights searching and reading here on this site. It’s all well documented. And if you read enough threads and posts and weed out the “I know a guy” comments and stick to reading the post from those who actually have the systems...you’ll have a great idea of all the options.

All the systems are good and have their place. Understand the trade offs of each of them. And pick which one you like best!
Good advice will do .... Having a hard time coping with pulling the new maggy off
Old 10-16-2017, 06:38 PM   #8
AGP Turbo

Drives: All things Turbocharged
Quote:
Originally Posted by EV1L SS View Post
Btw I had an 03 cobra fully built 4.6 with twin 64s that made a shit ton of power but I hated it , you could have a conversation while it spooled up ..... But once it did omg
I was driving down the freeway the other day in the shop car ("AGP TT" plate)
and these young guys in a loud, mod'ed 03 Cobra were playing around with me. Rolled by them at like 1/4 throttle so the gates were closed but turbos spooled up loud. They flipped out for it and were hanging out the window shooting video

We can do 800+whp on turbos that spool up like right now. Or in a stalled auto car, you never notice any lag on 1000whp turbos. It's all about the design and technology.
AGP Turbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2017, 08:00 PM   #9
QUICRNU

Drives: Z06 wannabe
Race times can differ so much, as can times vs. Rwhp etc etc etc.... If it is strictly a DRAG Car.... then make it such.... if you want a car that does more than 1 thing, then you will have to sacrifice a little bit of the others.... kinda like only so many fun points to assign between Street, Course, Strip and Comfort. More money can buy you a few more points, but you will never get enough points to max them all out, no matter what you spend.

Answering that question would probably help others guide you.
Old 10-16-2017, 09:38 PM   #10
dreksnot
Served USN - Atomic Chimp

Drives: 13 Camaro LSX434 TT M6, 21 ZLE A10
For my nickels worth, I think you're going to have to get into the 725-750rwhp to hit the 10's. These 5th Gen Camaros are a heap of metal.

FWIW, the AGP TT setup doesn't have much lag: Watch the boost meter in HD

In excess of 1,000WHP
LSX434 | AGP 65/65 TT | BTR Equalizer Intake | Trickflow 245cc cathedral | BTR custom cam | Cortex EBC | n2mb WOT | ID-1700x | Brisk GR12S | RPM Lv 7 TR6060 | AGP's Triple 525LPH Fore Fuel | Monster LT1-S Triple | 4.11 DSS Proform 9", CF driveshaft, 1400hp axles | Hurst Line Lock | MGW Retro Short Throw w/old skool Hurst T-handle | ADM solid subframe mounts | Prothane Motor Mounts | Revshift Poly Trans insert | Moreno camber/caster plates
dreksnot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2017, 07:35 AM   #11
BiggFoot

Drives: 2010 Camaro (M6) 1000+ HP SBE
Quote:
Originally Posted by EV1L SS View Post
I currently have a muggy set up that I was going to turn up this winter to try make upper 600s whp on a mustang dyno. Currently I'm at 603rwhp which I believe with seat time will allow me to crack the 10s in good weather. I really want a mid 10second street car... I was all ready to turn up the maggy and do some cooling mods then I was thinking about pulling the maggy and going with a ysi or f1r set up so when I build the bottom end I have a lot of the room to grow... Now after speaking to different tunners today they all told me the maggy would be best for a 10 second car and the best for the street... What do you guys think ? How would a ysi feel vs the maggy set up on street ? Thanks
The Maggie (maxed out) is good for a mid 10 second street car, I had one!

The truth is my friend that when you get that mid 10 second car your going to like it for 6 months to a year, then the itch is gonna hit you to turn up another 100+ hp or so to get from mid 10's into the high 9's. Then you will find that some of the things you "tweaked" to get into the mid 10's will probably have to be redone or replaced to go from mid 10's into the 9's and this will inevitably end up costing you quite a bit more money in the long haul.

You may have already sifted through my F-1X build in this section, but if not then possibly you should because what I am hearing you say is the very same things that were going through my mind when I entered that build (which is still being tweaked by the way).

I am not pointing you to my build to sell you on a ProCharger. In that build I had to remove the fancy cooling system set up for the Maggie, go with much bigger injectors that I had already replaced about 6 months before, remove my JRE Super Tensioner, etc., etc., all costing me extra $$$ that I could have avoided if I had gone for the gusto the first time.

Good luck on your decision! I decided to go for 9's because in my mind it was feasible to have a 9 second street car, but when/if I do make it into the 9's then I am good stopping there because I would go broke trying to have an 8 second street car.
Kooks LT Headers and full 3" exhaust
Fore Triple Pump Fuel System with ID 1700X Injectors - E85 conversion

DSS 9” Conversion (1400 hp axles, driveshaft, pumpkin) & Strange 3.70 gears
McLeod RXT Twin HD Clutch & Upgraded Slave
RPM Level VII
TR6060
BMR Drag Suspension Package w/Strange shocks
Carlyle 15" and M/T ET Street R radials
10.1 @ 143 mph 1/4 mile

BiggFoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2017, 09:34 AM   #12
Elite Engineering

Drives: 2010 Camaro
With over 600 whp, there is no reason you should not be high 10's as long as the suspension and rest of the car is properly setup. Auto trans? What stall converter? You can make all the power you can imagine, and without the car dialed in to launch and hook and keep it in the powerbands "sweet spot" you won't go as quick as you want. It all has to work properly.

Watch this 500 whp car only a few hundred# less in weight (every 100# is a tenth in the 1/4 mile) than a SS, yet it 60's in the 1.42 range and watch the weight transfer:

That was the run before final tweak of suspension.
Elite Engineering is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2017, 10:31 AM   #13
BiggFoot

Drives: 2010 Camaro (M6) 1000+ HP SBE
So the embedded video just shows up as a big black square to me. Are others seeing the video or is it just me? Do I need an update or something?
Kooks LT Headers and full 3" exhaust
Fore Triple Pump Fuel System with ID 1700X Injectors - E85 conversion

DSS 9” Conversion (1400 hp axles, driveshaft, pumpkin) & Strange 3.70 gears
McLeod RXT Twin HD Clutch & Upgraded Slave
RPM Level VII
TR6060
BMR Drag Suspension Package w/Strange shocks
Carlyle 15" and M/T ET Street R radials
10.1 @ 143 mph 1/4 mile

BiggFoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2017, 11:01 AM   #14
mrimpala02

Drives: Black 2SS RS w/White Stripes
Quote:
Originally Posted by BiggFoot View Post
So the embedded video just shows up as a big black square to me. Are others seeing the video or is it just me? Do I need an update or something?
I can see the video. Are you on a phone or computer?
Pat G Custom Turbo CamMotion Camshaft | AGP TT BB Garrett 62/65's | AGP/Fore Triple Pumps | ID1700X Injectors | Alky Control Twin Nozzle Meth | Custom 3" Exhaust | 3.27 gear set w/ Tru Trac | McLeod Twin RXT | Barton Short Throw Shifter | 6th Gen ZL1 Wheels | BMR 1.4" drop springs | Pfadt rear trailing arms & tie rods |

Installed by Me & Tuned by Pat G
mrimpala02 is offline   Reply With Quote