Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro ZL1 Forum - ZL1 Specific Topics

Old 09-08-2016, 08:32 PM   #85
15crtvert

Drives: 2015 crystal red convertible zl1
Quote:
Originally Posted by 247EVL View Post
I haven't had any pulleys replaced except for the one that came with the new supercharger and the new snout. I wasn't aware of a recall for the accesory drive pulley. Thanks for the info, definitely worth checking out.
No problem , mine just started a few days ago . I thought it might be the sc . But they changed the accessory drive pulley ( roughly 30 minutes ) . Quiet as can be again .
15crtvert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2016, 12:37 PM   #86
247EVL

Drives: 2013 ZL1
I was doing some research on these superchargers. Is it possible that the rattle we can all hear is actually something other than the isolator? Could it be possibly an idler pulley or maybe the end clearance of the impeller bearings causing the noise? Maybe its a combination of factors that are resulting in this rattle. In some cases it is the isolator that is at fault. I've read where some have swapped out the isolator for a solid part, and still have a rattle. I'm very curious, has anyone swapped the spring loaded isolator for a solid one and still have a rattle?
247EVL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2016, 03:29 PM   #87
KaBoom1701
KaBoom1701

Drives: 13' ZL1 Red M6
Quote:
I was doing some research on these superchargers. Is it possible that the rattle we can all hear is actually something other than the isolator? Could it be possibly an idler pulley or maybe the end clearance of the impeller bearings causing the noise? Maybe its a combination of factors that are resulting in this rattle. In some cases it is the isolator that is at fault. I've read where some have swapped out the isolator for a solid part, and still have a rattle. I'm very curious, has anyone swapped the spring loaded isolator for a solid one and still have a rattle?
You might be on to something...several have swapped the spring for solid couple and still have the same issue. So Who knows....
Roto-Fab Intake, WW Res. kit & Big Gulp Air Scoop, Elite Catch Can, ATI Super Damper & 18% OD Pulley, LF Idler pulley bracket, Metco CC breather, ID850 Injectors, Stainless Power Headers w/ ceramic coating, TR71X Spark Plugs, JMS Fuel Pump Booster, Bo White TB, Tuned by Ted @ Jannetty Racing, Ron Davis HX, D3 Reservoir, Pfadt 1" Springs, Moreno Camber Plates, ZL1 Addons Splitter guard washers, Tow Hook kit & rock guards, Hurst Shifter Billet Plus 6 Speed Short Shifter, ZL1 DRL lighting harness, ZL1 Recaro Seats.
KaBoom1701 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2016, 06:36 PM   #88
247EVL

So, for some of us, this might be a noise that we may just have to live with? I have my concern escalated to engineering via GM Canada customercare. Only time will tell if they can resolve the issue. But my gut is beginning to feel like it likely won't be resolved. Much like you, KaBoom1701, I've had a few attempts at fixing the rattle with no resolution. Since there is a lot of warranty left on this issue, I'm not overly concerned. But, I wonder, can this noisy supercharger cause any engine damage? If not then why worry? Has anyone had any engine damage because of a faulty or noise supercharger?
Old 09-13-2016, 11:33 PM   #89
247EVL

Has anyone changed the isolator to a solid one from the spring loaded unit and still have a rattle? Can the noise from the supercharger result in damage to the supercharger and potential engine damage? Can anyone help by posting their experience? I really need to hear from others that have tried to deal with this issue and anyone that is just living with it and not bothering to try get it repaired. I am not sure whether to continue to persue a "fix" to this issue or just simply live with it. Any information is helpful, thanks!
Old 09-14-2016, 07:12 PM   #90
Samson2029

Drives: 328xi, ML400, ZL1 man. 2013
I would go directly to the new spring loaded coupler. I had the solid coupler from the supercharger recall for 2 years and had a few annoying issues. The solid coupler resulted in a launch buzz between 800-1000 rpm. I also had other resonant vibrations in different gears. It also affected shifting. Going back to the new spring loaded coupler made the shifting and rev matching smooth and easy. And all the buzzes and vibrations disappeared.
And no rattle compared to the old spring loaded coupler.
Samson2029 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2016, 09:00 PM   #91
KaBoom1701
KaBoom1701

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samson2029 View Post
I would go directly to the new spring loaded coupler. I had the solid coupler from the supercharger recall for 2 years and had a few annoying issues. The solid coupler resulted in a launch buzz between 800-1000 rpm. I also had other resonant vibrations in different gears. It also affected shifting. Going back to the new spring loaded coupler made the shifting and rev matching smooth and easy. And all the buzzes and vibrations disappeared.
And no rattle compared to the old spring loaded coupler.
Do you have any evidence to support this new spring loaded couple exist?
Roto-Fab Intake, WW Res. kit & Big Gulp Air Scoop, Elite Catch Can, ATI Super Damper & 18% OD Pulley, LF Idler pulley bracket, Metco CC breather, ID850 Injectors, Stainless Power Headers w/ ceramic coating, TR71X Spark Plugs, JMS Fuel Pump Booster, Bo White TB, Tuned by Ted @ Jannetty Racing, Ron Davis HX, D3 Reservoir, Pfadt 1" Springs, Moreno Camber Plates, ZL1 Addons Splitter guard washers, Tow Hook kit & rock guards, Hurst Shifter Billet Plus 6 Speed Short Shifter, ZL1 DRL lighting harness, ZL1 Recaro Seats.
Old 09-15-2016, 02:05 PM   #92
247EVL

The new coupler that came with my replacement supercharger and the new snout was a spring loaded design. It looked very similar to the original style coupler. The new coupler installed in my car is rattling louder than the original one. This is why i suspect that the rattle may be caused by more than just the coupler. I would be interested to know what is the part number of the new coupler.
Old 09-15-2016, 04:38 PM   #93
bobby35ny

Drives: 18 ZL1 A10
Quote:
The new coupler that came with my replacement supercharger and the new snout was a spring loaded design. It looked very similar to the original style coupler. The new coupler installed in my car is rattling louder than the original one. This is why i suspect that the rattle may be caused by more than just the coupler. I would be interested to know what is the part number of the new coupler.

I been saying this the past year, there is more to the rattle than the isolator.
Old 09-15-2016, 07:51 PM   #94
ZO6 Bryan

Drives: 02 Z06, 95 Trans Am, 2012 ZL1
This is the new design coupler. Spring loaded but packed with grease.

This design comes in the new Supercharger GM part #12670278

Before that was Supercharger part #19303635. This one had the solid coupler. There may be a few of these still out there available. But after they are gone only the #12670278 will be available.

The original superchargers had a spring coupler without any grease in there. Those were the ones that rattled.
Old 09-15-2016, 07:56 PM   #95
ZO6 Bryan

Drives: 02 Z06, 95 Trans Am, 2012 ZL1
See no shaft wear with the new design. All this is on the www..CTSVOwners.com forum

Old 09-16-2016, 11:36 AM   #96
KaBoom1701
KaBoom1701

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZO6 Bryan View Post

Before that was Supercharger part #19303635. This one had the solid coupler. There may be a few of these still out there available. But after they are gone only the #12670278 will be available.

The original superchargers had a spring coupler without any grease in there. Those were the ones that rattled.
Awesome. Thx Z06.

So is there anyway to get just the "new" spring loaded coupler without having to order the entire S/C?
Old 09-16-2016, 03:53 PM   #97
247EVL

This is great information! I suspect that the coupler installed in my car was not packed with grease. Though I don't know if it's the new style unit, and I would really like to know if it's available as a stand alone part. Thanks Z06 Bryan for the excellent pictures and information.
Old 09-16-2016, 07:10 PM   #98
247EVL

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZO6 Bryan View Post

Looking at my service records, I have the new supercharger part # 12670278 installed on my car. It should have resolved the issue, but the supercharger was still making noise. I also have the supercharger front cover part # 4068400 installed after the new supercharger was installed. There is still a metallic, knocking sound coming from around the front of the supercharger. I am beginning to suspect that it might either be an issue with the replacement supercharger, or maybe it's a undiagnosed idler pulley making the noise. Waiting on GM Canada engineering to suggest the next step.