Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro ZL1 Forum - ZL1 Specific Topics

Old 09-18-2016, 02:01 PM   #99
Samson2029

Drives: 328xi, ML400, ZL1 man. 2013
The only noise i have with the new spring loaded snout is a clicking noise like those old stop chrono watches. No longer the irregular marbling noise that came with the first coupler. Noise must from either the supercharger itself, maybe the pulleys. I doubt its connected to the valves, cylinders or rods since the noise is intermittent.bearings may be involved in the charger or a rotor might have some loose.
Samson2029 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2016, 02:02 PM   #100
jsd

Drives: 2012 ZL 1 #370
What is the price for an new sc with the new spring coupler? And where i can order it?
jsd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2016, 07:33 PM   #101
247EVL

Drives: 2013 ZL1
Had the car out for a ride tonight. Came back home and the rattle sounds more like a moderately loud knocking sound. It's the loudest it's ever been. So far no reply back from GM customer care, and no follow up from the dealership either. Seems like there is a dwindling interest to get to repair my car! I am very frustrated. Going to have to start to raise my concerns more agressively. I'm beginning to wonder why either of the two dealerships could not diagnose the problem. What's the warranty policy? Throw parts at the car and hope that it fixes it or that the customer gives up and goes away?
247EVL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2016, 08:46 PM   #102
247EVL

Had a call from GM Canada customercare. They say that engineering has no fix for my car! Great! They gave me a new supercharger and then a snout and isolater. My car is still making lots of noise. Lots of noise. Taking it back to the dealership next week. Maybe they can actually diagnose and figure out whats going on....maybe.
Old 09-23-2016, 09:46 PM   #103
Can'tHave2MuchHP

Drives: Fast
Quote:
Originally Posted by 247EVL View Post
Had a call from GM Canada customercare. They say that engineering has no fix for my car! Great! They gave me a new supercharger and then a snout and isolater. My car is still making lots of noise. Lots of noise. Taking it back to the dealership next week. Maybe they can actually diagnose and figure out whats going on....maybe.
Don't count on it man...I'd say your best bet is decide on some mods and have a performance shop do an Upper pulley, at the same time replacing it with a Metco brand solid high performance isolator.
Can'tHave2MuchHP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2016, 05:10 PM   #104
247EVL

I'll give them another chance at trying to sort it out. If they can't, then itll be mod time. Definitely!
Old 09-28-2016, 01:52 PM   #105
2014CamaroZL1

Drives: 2014 CRT ZL1
I dropped my car off on Saturday for a bit of paintless dent removal.
The guy calls me a while later sounding very concerned.
He wanted to warm up the fenders by letting the motor run for a bit.
Now it sounds like it is self destructing.
No problem, I tell him.
Merely the super charger coupling and completely "normal".
He was very relieved.

Old 09-29-2016, 10:56 AM   #106
247EVL

I left my car at the dealership to try again to fix it. The warranty rep looked at it and determined that the noise is normal and they will do nothing more for me. Beware, GM will only do so much to repair these rattle trap superchargers! I'm fed up with the whole thing! So much for the extended warranty on these cars.
Old 09-29-2016, 12:48 PM   #107
Can'tHave2MuchHP

Drives: Fast
Time for a performance shop visit
Can'tHave2MuchHP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2016, 12:57 PM   #108
KaBoom1701
KaBoom1701

Drives: 13' ZL1 Red M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by 247EVL View Post
I left my car at the dealership to try again to fix it. The warranty rep looked at it and determined that the noise is normal and they will do nothing more for me. Beware, GM will only do so much to repair these rattle trap superchargers! I'm fed up with the whole thing! So much for the extended warranty on these cars.
This is the reason I plan to address this issues when it arrives myself in my garage....
Roto-Fab Intake, WW Res. kit & Big Gulp Air Scoop, Elite Catch Can, ATI Super Damper & 18% OD Pulley, LF Idler pulley bracket, Metco CC breather, ID850 Injectors, Stainless Power Headers w/ ceramic coating, TR71X Spark Plugs, JMS Fuel Pump Booster, Bo White TB, Tuned by Ted @ Jannetty Racing, Ron Davis HX, D3 Reservoir, Pfadt 1" Springs, Moreno Camber Plates, ZL1 Addons Splitter guard washers, Tow Hook kit & rock guards, Hurst Shifter Billet Plus 6 Speed Short Shifter, ZL1 DRL lighting harness, ZL1 Recaro Seats.
KaBoom1701 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2016, 02:07 PM   #109
247EVL

Since I can't get my supercharger isolator noise fixed by GM under their warranty, I'm going to have to fix it myself. After watching several vidoes about removing the snout, I noticed none of them have any information about the torque sequence and specs when putting it all back together. Also, is there any need to replace any gaskets between the supercharger and the heads? The repair seems to be a fairly straightforward job, well except for the prying off of the snout. That might take a bit of effort. If anyone has done this repair themselves, I would greatly appreciate any info on how best to do this repair.

These ZL1s are great cars! Lots of potential built in to them. Sadly GM Canada will not stand behind their product and do whatever is necessary to satisfy their customers. After getting the car "repaired" twice and still having an increasingly louder noise come from the supercharger snout, I'm going to have to take matters into my own hands. Seems as though their "technicians" are very good at throwing parts at our cars, but not proficient in actually diagnosing a repair. I am a long time GM customer and generally have very positive experiences with their vehicles. I'm not going to let this particular experience sour my perception of my car. Time to get my hands dirty and take care of it myself!

Last edited by 247EVL; 10-23-2016 at 05:09 PM.
Old 10-23-2016, 10:07 PM   #110
DrkPhx

Drives: 2013 Triple Black ZL1 / 2006 TB SS
^^^ It's actually pretty easy to do, just takes time. I've had the SC off twice now and reused the stock SC gaskets without a problem. No need to completely remove the SC if you're just replacing the isolator. Loosen all of the bolts and place a small block of wood under the front of the SC. Here is a great write up from LPE. It's really for an upper pulley installation on a V, but it has the necessary steps and torque sequences (if you don't have a service manual) for the isolator and snout replacement.

The most PITA part is removing the back bolts from the SC lids. Some drill holes in the cowl for access, but I use a small flex, magnetic 10mm socket to get to them. A small wood block or something similar wedged between the SC lid and lower cowl helps with access as well.

http://www.lingenfelter.com/PDFdownloads/L250070709.pdf
DrkPhx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2016, 09:58 AM   #111
247EVL

^^^ Thank you DrkPhx! That is exactly the information that I need to change out the isolator. Now all I need to do is order the solid isolator. It'll either be Metco or Lingenfelter for that item. I'm putting the car into winter storage soon, since it's getting to that time of year. I will have the time to get the job done. Thanks again!
Old 10-30-2016, 10:37 PM   #112
247EVL

There is now a dilemma for me about swapping out the spring loaded isolator with a solid one. Since doing that will likely void any factory warranty on my car. I did a bit of looking around on this forum about the noisy superchargers. There are a lot of opinions on this issue! What I have understood from doing research on this issue is that the noise might be annoying, but it won't harm the engine. It is my understanding that the shaft which the spring rides on is considered to be a wear item. The spring is designed to isolate the impeller gears from any shock, thus prolonging the life of the supercharger.

The question now is: can I live with the rattle, which I can best hear when the hood is open and I'm standing in front of the motor when it's running, or do I install a solid isolator and get rid of the rattle and quite possibly void my warranty?

As I have a lot of warranty on my car still, I am hesitant to forfeit that. Anyone have any thoughts on this issue?