Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Suspension / Brakes / Chassis

Old 03-20-2015, 07:34 PM   #1
snaphappy

Drives: 2011 Camaro Convertible SS2/RS LS3
Another Brake Pad and Rotor Post

Just hit 45,000 miles. Probably pushed these pads too long, haha, oh well. The indicators are scraping the rotors non-stop. Time to get to work!

I'm just going to replace rotors, I could have them turned, but I'm just going to replace them. I thought I'd get slotted, as a minor upgrade, just for the heck of it. Stillen has the best basically right? I think they were $235 for the front. Any reason I should avoid less expensive slotted rotors? I've found them for $130 here and there. Save money or get the Stillen? Or screw it and just OEM for like $100?

Based on the fact I've never been to the track or strip, I'm going with OEM pads. The brakes were the best I've ever experience in my life, so why get anything else? I actually like the dust, my wheels change colors from the dust until I get her washed haha. Don't even mention Hawk. Everyone pushes Hawk and I've read tons of threads on here about people being unhappy with Hawk.

Any reason to do the rear brakes? I haven't looked at them yet. What do you expect, maybe 50% life left at 45,000 miles? I kinda want to replace them, just so it's done and I won't have to think about it for another four years.
snaphappy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2015, 07:58 PM   #2
Destructo09

Drives: 2010 CGM Camaro 2SS/LS3
Your rotors are probably fine as is, i've been through a set of OEM pads on my car and mic'd my rotors and they were still within limits.

There's really no need to get them turned either, especially if your going with the same pad. Turning rotors is really only useful if they're warped, otherwise it just shaves off life.
1LE rear sway bar
SRP Racing Pedals
Hurst Billet short shifter
Square tire/wheel setup
Elite Engineering Catch Can
Stainless Power longtubes/highflow cats
K&N Typhoon CAI
RPM Motorsports of Garner, NC dyno tune (421 RWHP)
Destructo09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2015, 07:58 PM   #3
snaphappy

Drives: 2011 Camaro Convertible SS2/RS LS3
I've got OEM rotors and pads in my cart on Amazon for a total of $262. Hard to pass up! Gonna wait till I hear from you guys and going to PM the guys at Stillen.

Just to confirm my part numbers:

Rotors: 92245928, 177-1050
Pads: 22907156, 171-1112

Last edited by snaphappy; 03-20-2015 at 08:09 PM.
snaphappy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2015, 08:45 AM   #4
Norm Peterson
corner barstool sitter

Drives: 08 Mustang GT, 19 WRX
If your existing rotors are grooved enough to see this wear as rings that you can catch a fingernail in, you should either turn them or replace them. Ditto if there is any ridge at all out past the area swept by the pads.

Assuming that there is some grooving, your current pads have conformed to that contour. New pads would not be (their friction surfaces will be dead-flat), and they would not feel as good at least not until they have undergone the same uneven wear. Might not even work as well for extreme braking situations due to the mis-match in the rotor vs pad surfaces.

On edit - you absolutely should at least check your rear brakes for remaining pad thickness and rotor condition. Rear pad wear can in some cases occur even faster than front pad wear, particularly if your driving invokes either TC or Stabilitrak on anything except truly rare occasions. Those systems use the rear brakes as one of the ways they control wheelspin and vehicle stability. TC and ST work with the rear brakes, individually as necessary, so you need to check both rear brakes.

Norm

Last edited by Norm Peterson; 03-21-2015 at 09:01 AM.
Norm Peterson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2015, 11:10 AM   #5
Rob@WretchedMS

Drives: His Wife Crazy
I sell the DBA Rotors and Hawk Pads Combos are great prices, that might be something that you want to take a look at before you make your decisions. I'm not allowed to post a link to our brake packages on here, but if you are interested feel free to PM me and i'll get you the info.

I personally run the DBA Slotted on both my cars, along with the Hawk Pads. There are a few options for the Hawk pads that will depend upon what you want to get out of your brakes.

• 1 Piece Design
  • Patented Kangaroo Paw Ventilation Design
  • XG-150 High Carbon Alloyed Iron
  • TSP - Thermal Stability Profiling
  • Non-Directional XS Cross-Drill and Slot Design
  • Heat Paint Markings
  • Paint Protection on Non-Friction Areas
  • CBN - Cubic Boron Nitride Machine Turned
  • Moisture Proof Corrosion Protection Packaging

Key Features:
  • Pushing the Limits of ABS
  • Decreased stopping distances
  • Improved pedal feel from initial pressure through entire pedal stroke
  • Minimal fade under Higher Temps
  • High friction/torque hot or cold
  • Gentle on rotors
  • Very quiet, low noise
  • Improved braking over OE pads
  • Extended pad life
Rob@WretchedMS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2015, 11:18 AM   #6
Mr. iNCREDIBLE

Drives: 2012 2SS/RS Convertible
I got so tired of the squealing OEM pads that last week @ 27,000 miles when I replaced my OEM tires (P-zeros with belts showing) I put on the Hawk HPS pads, figured since the wheels were already off..

no change or turning of the rotors they checked out fine..

I couldn't be happier, no more squeal and no more "roller skates" on the front brakes.

It is truly amazing to me how many people zeroed in on those damn brake weights when looking and talking about my car.

my pads weren't even @ 50% but they have squealed since the day I got the car, deal said it was normal for the Brembo's and they do it on every make and model that has them, which is pure B.S. because I have owned 3 different makes that have those same OEM Brembo's and the Camaro is the only one that ever squealed and needed the roller skates.
Old 03-23-2015, 09:50 PM   #7
Obzen
Pull up Cougar!

Drives: 2016 2SS
May have to upgrade too. My brakes have always squealed at low speeds. 42k miles and it's finally getting on my nerves. Lol
Obzen is offline   Reply With Quote