Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Dragstrip and Launch Techniques Discussion

Old 08-22-2013, 12:36 PM   #1
Merc
In The Circle

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SSRS IOM M6
Eaton Trutrak

Anybody running the Eaton unit? I fished out chunks of spider gears from the bone stock unit. Then I built a diff with JRE caps and posi mod, 3:91 gears and a LPW cover and I just fished out chunks of spider or side gear again.

Trying to decide if I should try the stock diff again with the Eaton posi or a DSS Hamehead 12 bolt. I think the later might be over kill as Pumpkin will remain NA and probably only reach 600 or so at the motor.

Any thoughts guys?

Old 08-22-2013, 12:40 PM   #2
POWERFREAK
I.AM.

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS/A6 cammed-n-whippled
How many times you wanna blow it up??? Go w/ a hammerhead!
Old 08-22-2013, 01:07 PM   #3
blazzin1

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS R6P
If you can afford to drop that kinda cash on the Hammerhead.....then by all means do it!!! If the budget is tight, the TruTrac is a very good option. I have it in my car....with JRE Caps, and the LPW cover....no problems yet, I like it!
blazzin1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013, 01:31 PM   #4
Merc
In The Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by POWERFREAK View Post
How many times you wanna blow it up??? Go w/ a hammerhead!
I hear you.

Old 08-22-2013, 01:37 PM   #5
Merc
In The Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by blazzin1 View Post
If you can afford to drop that kinda cash on the Hammerhead.....then by all means do it!!! If the budget is tight, the TruTrac is a very good option. I have it in my car....with JRE Caps, and the LPW cover....no problems yet, I like it!
What kinda of horse power do you have and do you take it to the track? I'm guessing I'm around 500 at the motor now and drop the hammer at 5k, Pumpkin will run 11.90's 1.64 60's with slicks and skinnies. Might be to much to ask of it even with the Eaton posi. But that being said the failure has been the spiders in the stock posi both times.

Old 08-22-2013, 01:54 PM   #6
blazzin1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merc View Post
What kinda of horse power do you have and do you take it to the track? I'm guessing I'm around 500 at the motor now and drop the hammer at 5k, Pumpkin will run 11.90's 1.64 60's with slicks and skinnies. Might be to much to ask of it even with the Eaton posi. But that being said the failure has been the spiders in the stock posi both times.

Well, I'm sure you have me beat as far as HP and ET goes, but I do take mine to the track. I'm still learning how to launch with a manual....so it does get it's fair share of "abuse". I think the TruTrac would be completely fine for the HP level you're looking at...........but as always............a little overkill never hurts anything (except the checkbook!!!). If I had my choice, and money wasn't an issue, you better believe I would have the Stage II Hammerhead in my car.
Old 08-22-2013, 02:04 PM   #7
Merc
In The Circle

Quote:
Well, I'm sure you have me beat as far as HP and ET goes, but I do take mine to the track. I'm still learning how to launch with a manual....so it does get it's fair share of "abuse". I think the TruTrac would be completely fine for the HP level you're looking at...........but as always............a little overkill never hurts anything (except the checkbook!!!). If I had my choice, and money wasn't an issue, you better believe I would have the Stage II Hammerhead in my car.
Pumpkin does get great support from DSS so that helps. If I go the 12 bolt option it will be another year before I see the Pfadt coilovers.

Old 08-22-2013, 02:54 PM   #8
blazzin1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merc View Post
Pumpkin does get great support from DSS so that helps. If I go the 12 bolt option it will be another year before I see the Pfadt coilovers.

That sounds reasonable to me!!! I'd give up coilovers for another year for the Hammerhead instead....no doubt about it!!!
Old 08-22-2013, 06:22 PM   #9
Supercharged SS
Account Suspended

Drives: 2010 Camaro
Before anyone buys a hammerhead and call Ted and ask him about it. After that you will reconsider. I've seen more come in to get fixed than have been sold. Nothing against DSS, they've been great to me as well, but there are things that could be improved.

On another note, my true trac and rear have been good. Even with using the nitrous on the launch. That can't be good for the drivetrain.
Supercharged SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013, 06:25 PM   #10
Supercharged SS
Account Suspended

Quote:
With sounding like and arrogant dick, there is no budget when it comes to putting parts on my car. Hell, I could've gotten the new g force setup for pennies. Ted still said I would be better off with the current stock rear. I have no need for those overkill setups.
Old 08-22-2013, 06:30 PM   #11
WBrady
Account Suspended

Drives: camaro ss
Stock diffs will last forever if your car is an automatic that makes less then 1000hp. It's the shock load that kills parts, not the power, and the stock diff is the most efficient piece of any of them. No reason to change it
WBrady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013, 06:38 PM   #12
blazzin1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Supercharged SS View Post
With sounding like and arrogant dick, there is no budget when it comes to putting parts on my car. Hell, I could've gotten the new g force setup for pennies. Ted still said I would be better off with the current stock rear. I have no need for those overkill setups.
Oh come on Jamie, YOU.......sound like an arrogant dick?!?!?!? NOOOOOO, Never!!!!

I understand what you're saying, and I know you don't put a $$$ limit on your car. But here in the real world.....a good portion of us are limited to a somewhat restrictive budget, at least I know I am. But I hear what you're saying, in that the stock rear end can handle a lot, and in some cases, there is no need to upgrade to the uber expensive conversion kits....which in the end saves money!!!

But if my funds were unlimited.....I would still like to try a HammerHead, or maybe that new Strange S-60 Rear End, with some 4.30 gears!!! Don't really think I would want either of the 9" conversions.
Old 08-22-2013, 06:42 PM   #13
Supercharged SS
Account Suspended

Quote:
Oh come on Jamie, YOU.......sound like an arrogant dick?!?!?!? NOOOOOO, Never!!!!

I understand what you're saying, and I know you don't put a $$$ limit on your car. But here in the real world.....a good portion of us are limited to a somewhat restrictive budget, at least I know I am. But I hear what you're saying, in that the stock rear end can handle a lot, and in some cases, there is no need to upgrade to the uber expensive conversion kits....which in the end saves money!!!
Exactly. The auto cars don't need the million dollar rears. Save your money.

An M6 car..... Prob be one of the first things I'd look into if I was heavily into dragging it or street abuse. The stock rear just won't hold up.

Look into the S60. But again, not necessary.
Old 08-22-2013, 06:45 PM   #14
Merc
In The Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Supercharged SS View Post
I broke my good diff in a season and half. Good diff had JRE caps and posi mod, LPW cover and 3:91 gears and I only have 500 horse or a bit more at the
motor. That being said it was the stock spider gears that failed.