Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro Price | Ordering | Tracking | Dealers Discussions

Old 04-27-2015, 12:14 PM   #15
MoCamaro20

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS RS L99
I thought that's what their inspection was for. To inspect the vehicle...
MoCamaro20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2015, 12:14 PM   #16
Evergreen6

Drives: 2023 Camaro 1SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by MoCamaro20 View Post
Car only has 41,000 miles. It's just annoying when they say "they inspect the car" and don't really do shit
I'm on your side, but at the same time, it's your responsibility to make sure things that need to be checked or changed, actually get done. If the dealer didn't explicitly state that it was done, then you can assume it probably wasn't done. If it was stated somewhere that it was done, and you discovered the fluid was low, then you can go back to them and demonstrate that it wasn't done properly. Without that, you really have nothing to stand on, unless the differential is somehow defective.
Evergreen6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2015, 12:28 PM   #17
MoCamaro20

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS RS L99
I don't agree. They are suppose to inspect the vehicle. That's why people go to dealerships vs another spot
MoCamaro20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2015, 12:33 PM   #18
TommyTheCat
SHKE BKE

Drives: 2013 Camaro
I don't know of any auto shops or dealerships that check differential fluid without being asked. When they check the fluids, they mean at the engine bay area only. I work on cars myself... if someone comes in for an oil change I check coolant level, oil, transmission fluid on autos when possible (not on manuals unless requested and not on autos without dipsticks unless requested), brake fluid, p/s fluid... anything obvious.
Tear down inspections or inspections that would make 20 minute oil changes turn into hour long inspections at no additional charge just don't happen. If they SAID they checked the fluid, then you can complain. They usually have some sort of check list. If they supposedly told you the diff fluid was good, then you can probably make a big deal about it. Otherwise you're crazy to expect more
TommyTheCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2015, 12:56 PM   #19
MrChrisLS3

Drives: 2018 1SS M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by TommyTheCat View Post
I don't know of any auto shops or dealerships that check differential fluid without being asked. When they check the fluids, they mean at the engine bay area only. I work on cars myself... if someone comes in for an oil change I check coolant level, oil, transmission fluid on autos when possible (not on manuals unless requested and not on autos without dipsticks unless requested), brake fluid, p/s fluid... anything obvious.
Tear down inspections or inspections that would make 20 minute oil changes turn into hour long inspections at no additional charge just don't happen. If they SAID they checked the fluid, then you can complain. They usually have some sort of check list. If they supposedly told you the diff fluid was good, then you can probably make a big deal about it. Otherwise you're crazy to expect more
Yep, not a part of routine fluid check. You need to request this, and they will. They will do it no charge if you state that you believe there may be an issue, under warranty. Differential fluid is not like motor oil, it lasts a really long time. It is not exposed the same heat as engine oil, thus retains it's viscosity for a much greater period of time. Unless there is a noise, vibration, as you described, or visible signs of leakage, it's not on the list.
MrChrisLS3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2015, 12:58 PM   #20
Evergreen6

Quote:
I don't agree. They are suppose to inspect the vehicle. That's why people go to dealerships vs another spot
Simply looking at the vehicle from the exterior, as it sits in a parking space would fit the definition of "inspecting". And that wouldn't uncover much, now would it? Some inspection programs are more detailed than others.

Other places aren't going to check that stuff unless explicitly asked to do (and probably paid for), unless a mechanic happens to come upon it by chance, if he's looking to try to bill for additional work.

Assumption is not equal to action.
Old 04-27-2015, 01:12 PM   #21
DemonZL1

Drives: like a granny
Have you looked at your inspection sheet?

there is a standard GM MultiPoint Vehicle inspection Form. 1 section says check fluid levels (diff not listed) then there is a section for "Additional Checks" and your diff is listed there for "visible leaks and visible condition" Your oil change essentially includes a visual inspection. This is more of a safety inspection, in my opinion.

Keep in mind customers want their cars in and out within 15 minutes or they call General Motors and file a complaint. If you want a more thorough inspection, request it and pay for it. When a new car comes in it gets a "pre-delivery inspection" now that is an inspection where everything is supposed to get checked. General Motors also pays that dealer for typically 1-2 hours for that inspection. Just for your reference...

just wanted to throw this out there. As for the headers and the tune... technically you have put more power to the rear wheels than when it left the factory so don't be an ass at the dealer or they can throw that back at ya.

I won't discredit that you may have a differential issue. Hopefully you get it resolved and it falls under the 5 year 100k powertrain warranty and is completed at no charge to you.

Anderson composites coupon code : Demon
DemonZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2015, 08:24 PM   #22
CrazyRED

Drives: 2014 2SS RS 1LE
I'm gonna show my ignorance here, but, how do you check the level of the diff fluid?
CrazyRED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2015, 10:57 PM   #23
Evergreen6

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrazyRED View Post
I'm gonna show my ignorance here, but, how do you check the level of the diff fluid?
Good question. On most diffs, there's a fill plug (bolt) screwed into one of the sides, high up, and the oil level should be up to the bottom of the fill plug.

To check, you usually undo the fill plug, and put your little finger in there to feel where the fluid level is at.
Old 04-27-2015, 11:10 PM   #24
rontammy0
Account Suspended

Drives: 2011 2SS/ RS INFERNO ORANGE L99
This just happened last fri...took my car in for a brake squeal that I had them look at last fall....just had the car out and its still doing it. Anywayeveryonce in a while I notice some smoke out the exhaust when I start..not all the time, just once in a while. I ask the guy at the service counter to have a look at it while fixing the brakes. He looks me right in the eyes and tells me the smoke is from oil dripping onto the exhaust. He said he sees it all the time. I said ..your telling me the smoke that's coming out of the exhaust is from oil dripping onto the exhaust.....he says yep. It was my turn to look him right in the eyes and ask him wtf he was trying to tell me. I still cant believe how dumb this guy was.
rontammy0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2015, 11:21 PM   #25
Mr. Wyndham
I used to be Dragoneye...

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
Send a message via AIM to Mr. Wyndham
Quote:
Ask what their "multi-point inspection" covers...

If you read the maintenance schedule in the back of the manual, the diff fluid doesn't "need" to be changed but for every 45,000 miles. Unless the vehicle sees severe use, then it's listed at 15,000 miles.

Don't get me wrong - I'm not defending the dealer. I've had my own share of "special" situations where the tech and advisor were lucky I didn't give them treadbrows. Chevy dealers should be informed and familiar with ALL the vehicles they are selling and servicing, especially the beloved sports cars. And the sad truth is - unless they have a performance shop attached to them, or are actively engaged in selling Chevy performance parts..they aren't familiar with these cars.

But you've got to remember these are businesses that mostly see Malibus and Cruzes, etc...that NEVER need their axle or transmission fluids replaced. This situation doesn't surprise me one bit.

...My dealer tried to rotate my 1LE wheels/tires...guess how that went over with me...
Old 04-28-2015, 05:04 AM   #26
essess

Drives: 10 camaro ss
Is there a leak? How many miles are on your veh? Diff fluid does not just disappear, which is why iT is not an inspected area when u go in for routine maintenance. If its not leaking, theres no reason to check, since the only reason for it to be low would be someone tampering with it. when you stuck your finger in the fill hole, how far down was the fluid? A little lower than the hole isnt gonna automatically waste your diff
essess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2015, 06:46 AM   #27
Backspin9

Drives: The red one
Quote:
Originally Posted by TooCool5 View Post
I have offer for FREE oil change and will not use it.

They are always trying to mess with something to drum up more work.
I am wrestling with this right now. I have 4 oil changes that came with the car when it was purchased new in February. I'd like to use them but don't trust the dealer one iota.

It's probably worth the $40 to have it changed by someone I trust vs. stressing over what the dealer might do to it.
Backspin9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2015, 09:11 AM   #28
Travis104

Drives: 2014 ZL1
I went in the the super charger rattle to get it fixed. I got the car back with multiple scratches on the front bumper, my strut tower bar that I had painted was severely chipped, and I am missing one of the studs that hold down the engine cover. I have the howl on decel in the rear end, but I am afraid to even take it in to a dealer...which is very sad.
Travis104 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
camaro, camaro5