Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Cosmetic Maintenance: Washing, Waxing, Detailing, Bodywork, Protection

Old 05-02-2012, 08:53 PM   #1
jsharp
NOW CAMMED & SUPERCHARGED

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS Black w/ IOM
Bug help

Best way to clean bugs from front of car without scratching my black car and my zl1 bumper! I typycally soak in adams soap and foam a couple of times then rinse off. Then i usually knock off the rest with pressure washer then wash with mit. I usually still have residue because i dont want to apply much pressure of my mit as im afraid that will scratch it. I usually end up claying and polishing with adams white pad the put on americana. But bugs still penetrate wax and cover bumper in 2 days so then i have to do it over again. Pls help!
Livernois Motorsports: Maggie 2300 7psi, Livernois 2C cam/L99 to LS3 Conversion, Ported TB, Rotofab w/adm race scoop, adm trans cooler,Kooks headers no cats, Kooks 3" exhaust. METCO breather. Precision 2400 Vigilante TC. Eibach Lowering Springs & Swaybars. BMR Trailing arms, BMR Rear Cradle Bushings, BMR Toe Rods, BMR Differential bushings. Vossen CV3 20's w/ 305 Mickey Thompson @25psi. Zl1 front bumper. OE Zl1 Hood and matte black insert. 556RWHP/500RWTQ L99
jsharp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 08:56 PM   #2
CamaroDreams07

Drives: Slow V6
If you have a good coat of wax on the car, they should come off easily. The key is removing them after each time you drive. The longer they sit, the harder it is.

Soak them down good with detail spray or waterless wash. Let it dwell for a minute and then wipe off with a microfiber. You shouldn't have problems.
Old 05-02-2012, 10:13 PM   #3
WiSSDiver

Drives: 1968 Coupe, 2010 2SS, 2011 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by CamaroDreams07 View Post
If you have a good coat of wax on the car, they should come off easily. The key is removing them after each time you drive. The longer they sit, the harder it is.

Soak them down good with detail spray or waterless wash. Let it dwell for a minute and then wipe off with a microfiber. You shouldn't have problems.
+1 they do come off quick when all that wax is up front. Like Camarodreams mentioned, get them off in a day or so with DS or WW and wipe them off with a MF towel. If they have harded, don't wipe too long with your motion of the MF towel. That hard little bug could act like the grit on sandpaper.
Old 05-03-2012, 05:04 AM   #4
best210

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS
I was told that dryer sheets would get the bugs off. I haven't tried it yet, but as bad as the Love bugs are down here I just might.
best210 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 09:46 AM   #5
GPC1

Drives: Camaro SS
Quote:
I've found this to work the best
GPC1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 12:59 PM   #6
jsharp

Thanks. It just seems to me that if you move it across the paint as you swipe the towel that it will drag and scratch the car. I sold my waterless wash because of that but I will try it with detail spray. I have put two coats of americana since it was freshly painted 1 month ago. so It has the was there but maybe I am putting it off to long in fear that I will scrath the car up!
Livernois Motorsports: Maggie 2300 7psi, Livernois 2C cam/L99 to LS3 Conversion, Ported TB, Rotofab w/adm race scoop, adm trans cooler,Kooks headers no cats, Kooks 3" exhaust. METCO breather. Precision 2400 Vigilante TC. Eibach Lowering Springs & Swaybars. BMR Trailing arms, BMR Rear Cradle Bushings, BMR Toe Rods, BMR Differential bushings. Vossen CV3 20's w/ 305 Mickey Thompson @25psi. Zl1 front bumper. OE Zl1 Hood and matte black insert. 556RWHP/500RWTQ L99
Old 05-03-2012, 02:35 PM   #7
CamaroDreams07

Drives: Slow V6
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsharp View Post
Thanks. It just seems to me that if you move it across the paint as you swipe the towel that it will drag and scratch the car. I sold my waterless wash because of that but I will try it with detail spray. I have put two coats of americana since it was freshly painted 1 month ago. so It has the was there but maybe I am putting it off to long in fear that I will scrath the car up!
The longer you put it off, the more likely it is to scratch. Sure, some bugs might leave some tiny scratches, but that's better than letting their guts etch away your clear. Much easier to fix.

Use something more durable than a carnuaba on the front, like a synthetic sealant. Much better protection and lasts a lot longer. You can still top the sealant with Americana if you choose.
Old 05-03-2012, 03:49 PM   #8
Angelo@Autopia

Drives: 2014 Ford Focus ST
If the spot is relatively fresh, you can use a microfiber towel and a quick detailer to wipe the paint clean. This is ideal because you’re not removing any existing wax, but if it didn't work, you will need a stronger solution for those really stubborn areas, you can use any number of bug and tar removers that are basically strong cleaners intended to dissolve bugs. Examples are Stoner XENIT, Tarminator, Poorboy’s World Bug Squash, and Wurth Tar Remover. P21S Total Car Wash and also Meguiars All Purpose Cleaner Plus are all-over exterior cleaners that work great on bugs. The drawback to bug and tar removers and cleaners is that you will have to reapply a LSP product. However, spray waxes and sealants have made it very quick and easy to spot-wax your car. With most, you just spray, spread, and wipe. I like using a Safe Scrub to gently wash those area's in a back and forth motion. The honeycomb texture gets under the bug remains and lifts them off the paint. After it's all clean I would go back and apply my LSP for protection. Remember to keep your front end protect with a sealant and wax to help you down the road in removing them and protecting your paint.
Angelo@Autopia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 03:53 PM   #9
dellidog
Dellidog

Drives: 2010 2ss/rs rjt
Quote:
Best way to clean bugs from front of car without scratching my black car and my zl1 bumper! I typycally soak in adams soap and foam a couple of times then rinse off. Then i usually knock off the rest with pressure washer then wash with mit. I usually still have residue because i dont want to apply much pressure of my mit as im afraid that will scratch it. I usually end up claying and polishing with adams white pad the put on americana. But bugs still penetrate wax and cover bumper in 2 days so then i have to do it over again. Pls help!
Living in Florida we get the love bug swarms twice a year. If you leave this on more than over night, they eat thru the clearcoat. Best thing is a good coat of wax, and Bounce dryer sheets. Hose off the big chunks and then, keeping the sheet wet, wash gently. You'll need to wash again with your regular car wash to get the Bounce off, but no scrubbing required, and a quick wax. With the season almost here I just a new box of Bounce
dellidog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 08:52 PM   #10
Camarrow1
WillieB

Drives: 10camaro2ss 10avalanch
I keep a pack of baby wipes in the car. helps keep the bugs and bird droppings off the car quickly without eating off my wax. no harsh chemicals,works fast being moist then toss them away.
Camarrow1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 08:54 PM   #11
austinjames
Account Suspend...Right

Drives: Synergy LS & Vulcan 1600cc
I bought this for my motorcycles a few years ago, now I stockpile it. Its a dream come true for bugs, tar, gum, anything. Spray it on let it sit for 30 seconds and everything comes off with one wipe. I use it on my front bumper every few days.

Old 05-03-2012, 09:14 PM   #12
jsharp

Quote:
Originally Posted by austinjames View Post
I bought this for my motorcycles a few years ago, now I stockpile it. Its a dream come true for bugs, tar, gum, anything. Spray it on let it sit for 30 seconds and everything comes off with one wipe. I use it on my front bumper every few days.

Do you have to wipe or can i just rinse off then wash?
Old 05-03-2012, 09:47 PM   #13
austinjames
Account Suspend...Right

Drives: Synergy LS & Vulcan 1600cc
Quote:
Do you have to wipe or can i just rinse off then wash?
Not sure, I always just wipe it. But ill try just rinsing it tomorrow and get back to you.