Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Camaro Issues / Problems | Warranty Discussions | TSB and Recalls

Old 08-04-2012, 01:48 PM   #1
Agostino13

Drives: 2010 Red 2SS/RS
Need Help Dealer Says Warranty Is Void Because Of Pedders Pace Car Package

Ok so about 8 months ago I Had the pedders pace car package installed. about 5 months later my power steering was leaking so I took the car to the dealer and they replaced the steering gear under warranty no questions asked.
A few months later I realized my steering wheel stiffening up and pulling to the right again so today i went back to the dealer and they are refusing to fix it this time because of my aftermarket suspension and over sized wheels. The suspension is gm licensed and was installed by a pedders recommended shop. The wheels are vossen cv3 22x9 22x10.5 and where installed well after this problem had started.

Is the dealer right by voiding my warranty dont they have to prove that the aftermarket parts are the reason for the problem?
Also why is the steering going bad on a car with under 27,000 miles not once but twice?

Im starting to think there may be something else wrong that the dealer is not seeing.
Agostino13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2012, 03:03 PM   #2
Avenging Orange

Drives: 2010 Inferno Orange 2SS/RS
I see no reason for them to refuse warranty. Is there another dealer nearby?
2010 Inferno Orange 2SS/RS M6 Black Leather, Sun Roof, OBX Headers, Borla touring axle back, Cold Air Inductions CAI , non synthetic fluids, BMR total bushing upgrade/1" lowering springs, DSE 32mm rear sway bar. GM fe4 shocks/struts/LCA's, AAM 3.91 diff, Vertini RFS1.8 20x9 +30. Conti ExtremeContact Sport 275/35/20. sjm autoprod ABL dash kit. Mike Norris tuned 413/419.
Avenging Orange: 43 years of not buying into the Hype........and damn proud of it!!
https://youtu.be/9JD9it6SmB8
https://youtu.be/xmelTlEzI34
KICKING CANCERS ASS SINCE 2015!!
Avenging Orange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2012, 09:20 PM   #3
Russell James

Drives: '15 SS 1LE, '69 Z28 drag car
I'd ask them to diagnose the problem. Once that is known, what is needed, and what caused it.... then I'd address if it is warranty or not. If the diagnosis shows an aftermarket part caused the problem, then it is not covered. If the problem was not caused by an aftermarket part, but is a factory defect then it should be covered. Once all is known about the cause and needed repairs, if it should be covered and they won't - pull out your warranty book and ask them to show you where in writing is the reason for the refusal.

The warranty is in writing, not open for interpretations. Caused by an aftermarket part - not covered. Factory defect - covered.

I wouldn't hang your hat on the license thing. That has nothing to do with warranty. The Pedders parts you bought are warranted by Pedders. But if they didn't cause your problem, should have no effect on your car's warranty.
Russell James is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2012, 06:52 PM   #4
ChrisBlair
Buick 455 Fan

Drives: 1970 Buick, 2012 1SS LS3
Did they say the warranty is shot, or is what they said "you have to see Pedder's about the warranty"?
Old 08-05-2012, 07:56 PM   #5
Agostino13

They said they could not fix the problem under warranty because of aftermarket suspension and over sized wheels. I have to go back in tomorrow to speak to the manager cause when I went to pick it up neither the manager or my usual service guy where there.
They said nothing about pedders.
Old 08-05-2012, 08:33 PM   #6
avellanet.jr
Emerald Coast Camaros

Drives: 2014 ZL1 #77
Contact Pete from Pedders and let him know. I've seen him deal with this before.
avellanet.jr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2012, 09:18 PM   #7
zkdreads

Drives: 2010 Camaro LS V6
good luck.
zkdreads is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2012, 09:31 PM   #8
Agostino13

Thanks ill see what happens tomorrow when i talk to the manager if they still deny it Ill try to contact pete see if he can help
Old 08-05-2012, 09:44 PM   #9
Russell James

Drives: '15 SS 1LE, '69 Z28 drag car
Quote:
Originally Posted by Agostino13 View Post
They said they could not fix the problem under warranty because of aftermarket suspension and over sized wheels. I have to go back in tomorrow to speak to the manager cause when I went to pick it up neither the manager or my usual service guy where there.
They said nothing about pedders.
They need to tell you what "caused" the failure. Just because it has aftermarket parts doesn't automatically mean there is no warranty. What they do is put a block on the warranty, meaning any claim will have to be approved by GM. To then get a claim approved, they would need to diagnose what is wrong with the car and what caused the problem. If the aftermarket parts did cause the problem, they can legitimately not cover it under warranty. If the aftermarket parts did not cause the problem, they then request approval from GM to repair under warranty.

Ask them those two questions. What did you diagnose as the cause of the failure, and did you contact GM for approval if it was not caused by the aftermarket parts?

There is a bulletin that explains the whole process, sounds like they may need to read it again. You don't just completely deny warranty because of modifications, the process is to block automatic warranty payments, but then get approval for repairs that are diagnosed as warranty.

Last edited by Russell James; 08-06-2012 at 10:13 AM.
Russell James is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2012, 08:17 AM   #10
Agostino13

Thanks Russell that makes sense I'll definitely ask them those questions
Old 08-06-2012, 09:39 AM   #11
Chevrolet Customer Svc

Drives: GM Vehicles
Quote:
Ok so about 8 months ago I Had the pedders pace car package installed. about 5 months later my power steering was leaking so I took the car to the dealer and they replaced the steering gear under warranty no questions asked.
A few months later I realized my steering wheel stiffening up and pulling to the right again so today i went back to the dealer and they are refusing to fix it this time because of my aftermarket suspension and over sized wheels. The suspension is gm licensed and was installed by a pedders recommended shop. The wheels are vossen cv3 22x9 22x10.5 and where installed well after this problem had started.

Is the dealer right by voiding my warranty dont they have to prove that the aftermarket parts are the reason for the problem?
Also why is the steering going bad on a car with under 27,000 miles not once but twice?

Im starting to think there may be something else wrong that the dealer is not seeing.
If you could please send me your VIN, I can check to see if there is anything available to you. Also, have you been to a different dealership for a second opinion? Please let me know!

Brandon
Chevrolet Customer Service
Old 08-06-2012, 10:15 AM   #12
Agostino13

I have not been to another dealer yet although I probably should since my dealer has given me many problems already. My vin is 2g1ft1ew6a9105114
Old 08-06-2012, 12:30 PM   #13
Chevrolet Customer Svc

Drives: GM Vehicles
Quote:
I have not been to another dealer yet although I probably should since my dealer has given me many problems already. My vin is 2g1ft1ew6a9105114
I would like to set up a case with GM customer service. If you could please message me your first and last name, address, phone number, mileage and involved dealership, I would be glad to check into this for you.

Brandon
Chevrolet Customer Service
Old 09-13-2012, 09:01 PM   #14
Ebbsnflows

Drives: 2018 Camaro ZL1-1LE
So whatever happened with this situation? Was there a satisfactory resolution? Updates please. ;-)