Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Wheels and Tires Talk Sponsored by The Tire Rack

Old 01-25-2016, 06:38 PM   #1
S-eatin-grin

Drives: 2013 2SS/RS AGM
Average wait time for custom wheels?

I ordered a set of custom 2 piece forged wheels the week of Veterans Day...that's 11 weeks ago and counting. I'm trying not to be impatient because I know the holidays were during this time but it seems like they should be done by now. Would like to know other member's experiences of how long it took to get their wheels.
S-eatin-grin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2016, 07:05 PM   #2
Carlos_MRRWheelsInc

Drives: camaro
Im not sure what other members experience have been but i can give you a little inside and see if it makes sense.

1. Many custom 2 piece companies and im not saying all "some" dont actually carry inventory, they dont have centers laying around and barrels waiting for a client to show up, they actually order them over sea's.

2. when you place your order and give them a deposit. they contact there supplier over seas and place there order, this alone they claim takes 5-6 weeks. now lets say the wheels are done. they dont want to spend 700.00 on shipping so they wait till they have a few more order completed and bring in a small 20 foot container. ocean freight alone takes roughly 3 weeks to land.

3. lets say all that go's great keep in mind we are now in week 9, they receive the product check the order and then go...ooops he ordered chrome bolts not black, or wrong PCD or anything thats wrong will now cause it to be a weeks work of waiting.

in reality it only takes about 2-3 hours to cut custom centers, takes a day or so to start building, buy another full day for testing. lets not forget about a week for refinishing.
but keep in mind they have more clients.

we do make custom wheels in house in our Los Angeles Facility, we carry the mold in a raw stage, when a client order we start the process and its ready in 7 business days. but we do everything our self's so we take full responsibility and control.
Carlos_MRRWheelsInc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2016, 07:09 PM   #3
Carlos_MRRWheelsInc

Over all give them a call and youll know if they are pulling your leg, if they dont have answers or mumble there words, or stumble on wrong information then you know what we should do.
Old 01-26-2016, 11:19 AM   #4
S-eatin-grin

Hmmm. ..the company builds the wheels on site from raw blanks. I am having them fully polished and I am having a clear coat put on. Maybe I will call them. I also realize that I'm not the only order they are working on.
Old 01-26-2016, 11:29 AM   #5
Carlos_MRRWheelsInc

Quote:
Originally Posted by S-eatin-grin View Post
Hmmm. ..the company builds the wheels on site from raw blanks. I am having them fully polished and I am having a clear coat put on. Maybe I will call them. I also realize that I'm not the only order they are working on.
Good luck but 11 weeks is crazy long. just saying
Old 01-26-2016, 12:48 PM   #6
mp51998

Drives: Black 2011 2SS/RS
Took me about 10-12 weeks to get my Forgline wheels. Worth the wait tho.
mp51998 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2016, 01:55 PM   #7
Carlos_MRRWheelsInc

Quote:
Originally Posted by mp51998 View Post
Took me about 10-12 weeks to get my Forgline wheels. Worth the wait tho.
Yeah as long as a company tells you a estimated time and its with in that period then atleast the client is aware and usually understands in which case the client is always happy, Ive personally seen when a client is told 5-6 weeks and next thing you know your on week 12,13,14..... and on and on, thats when you know something is wrong.
Old 01-27-2016, 11:29 AM   #8
S-eatin-grin

The company is Bonspeed. They did tell me 10 weeks but they also told me that I would hear from them about 5 days prior the wheels being finished for final payment and that the wheels would ship within 10 business days of that e-mail as long as the account was settled. It now 12 weeks and a few days and no email which means at least another 5 days till the wheels are done 10 days till they ship and an additional 5 days of shipping west coast to east coast. I don't plan on driving the car until March but just getting impatient. I still have to get the tires mounted with TPMS, balanced and get an alignment.
Old 02-01-2016, 07:15 AM   #9
Nine Ball

Drives: 1969 & 2016 Camaro SS
Most of my brands quote 6-8 weeks. Forgeline has consistently been 5-6 weeks. Most tend to hit that 8 week mark.

Some of the delays experienced by customers is related to buying from the wrong shop. Your cash sometimes pays for the order ahead of yours, since they ran out of money. So, the wheels don't get ordered on time, and that just adds to the delay. The guy that said 10-12 weeks on Forgeline? That just seems like a slow (or forgotten) order placement, based on our experience with them.
Nine Ball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2016, 11:10 AM   #10
S-eatin-grin

Tony...Bonspeed is one of your brands. I did research the company..seems good. I guess we will see, for now I am blaming on the holidays.