Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > V8 and V6 Transmissions / Driveline (6L80 / 6L50 / TR6060 / AY6)

Old 08-08-2011, 09:53 PM   #1
Justice

Drives: 2016 Hyper Blue 2SS
L99 Problem?

I have a new 2011 SS A6 with only 4k miles on it. I'm becoming worried that I may be having transmission problems already. It doesn't happen often but it's worry-some when it does.

Explanation:

The transmission every now and then seems to be getting stuck in gear. I will accelerate and lets say up to 4th gear and it will just rev high into the rpm's (never close to the red), but too high without changing gears. I have to hit the breaks and then the car will downshift violently. By violently I mean the car jerks as it downshifts and of course it's loud noise wise as it does this.

This doesn't happen often at all, but like I said it is bothering me with a new car. The car only has a cat-back and CAI as mods. Should I take it into the dealership you think? With it being unpredictable, I'm sure If I took it in, it wouldn't do it. Thanks in advance for any answers or advise.
Justice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2011, 09:58 PM   #2
mlee
CamaroFans.com

Drives: ZLE & ZR2
That happens sometimes when getting on it and letting off quickly... or just messing around.. Seems to get stuck at a high rpm. Happened to me a few times but usually when I was just messing around. I think I've heard this happening to others also. Probably nothing to worry about...
Old 08-08-2011, 10:22 PM   #3
sasquash1984
502 RWHP N/A

Drives: The yeti
Happened to me before tune
factory motor factory trans, Gpi ss4 cam stock heads ported and milled, full exhaust, circle d 5c 4000 triple disk, 3:91 rear end with posi mod, cai, bmr derlin rear diff bushins, bmr derlin cradle bushins, bmr trailing arms, toe rods with bushings, and bmr anti extreme sway bar. Weld rt-s 17x5 fronts and 17X10 rears on mickey thompson et street r's
sasquash1984 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2011, 10:58 PM   #4
JDP Sales

Drives: Chevys at the limit
How quickly are you accelerating?
If you're in Sport mode, the transmission will shift in an aggressive manner, if you are driving aggressively.
A lot of times it will hold a gear for a while in such cases.
Usually you can either shift to D, then back to S to fix it, or you can tap shift up (right) to manually shift up a gear. Then you can either shift manually, or go to D then back to S.
Its pretty normal for the transmission to do that under those circumstances.

- Jeremy
JDP Sales is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2011, 11:48 PM   #5
CyberDan

Drives: 1SS Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sales@JDP View Post
How quickly are you accelerating?
If you're in Sport mode, the transmission will shift in an aggressive manner, if you are driving aggressively.
A lot of times it will hold a gear for a while in such cases.
Usually you can either shift to D, then back to S to fix it, or you can tap shift up (right) to manually shift up a gear. Then you can either shift manually, or go to D then back to S.
Its pretty normal for the transmission to do that under those circumstances.

- Jeremy
All completely normal OP
CAI Cold Air Intake, VMax CNC TB, Borla Sport Catback Exhaust, EE Oil Catch Can, Eibach Sway Bars and Drop Springs, AAC concept side markers, stealth signal bulbs, Heritage grille, Sparks Restorations front and rear modern SS emblems
CyberDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2011, 04:57 PM   #6
Justice

Drives: 2016 Hyper Blue 2SS
Thanks to everyone who responded, I feel much better now! Thanks again!!
Justice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2011, 08:32 PM   #7
mlee
CamaroFans.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justice View Post
Thanks to everyone who responded, I feel much better now! Thanks again!!
Now come hang out with us some time... www.h-towncamaroclub.com

Old 08-09-2011, 08:38 PM   #8
hot ss

Drives: aqua 2ss l99
my 2 Cents.
dont do any more mods in case you need warranty
Old 08-09-2011, 09:28 PM   #9
masterwinning

Drives: 2013 Volt
Mine does the same thing, it will hold between 4k and 4.5k, it seems excessively long, but in all reality probably isn't more then a few seconds. Just give it a few seconds and it will up shift.
masterwinning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2011, 10:04 PM   #10
v6sonoma

Drives: 2010 SS RS
That's not normal at all. I'd definitely get that looked at ASAP!

Mods: BBK Intake, BBK LT's and High Flow Cats, Corsa Cat-back exhaust, Hurst short throw shifter, SLP skip-shift eliminator.

7/1/09 Placed order for IOM/IO int/ SS/RS 6M
9/26/09 Took delivery!
v6sonoma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2011, 10:26 PM   #11
Camarowguy

Drives: 2011 imperial blue SS, black 92 RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by v6sonoma View Post
That's not normal at all. I'd definitely get that looked at ASAP!
Yes it is. Driving normal is not seeing 4500rpm. That's considered agressive. The ECM Trys to anticipate what you are going to do next. Example: you cone up on a group of cars...you can accelerate and get over and then you let off for a second so you dont hit the car in front if you. (When you accelerated the trans down shifted to 4th.) so now you get back on it a little bit to get inbeteeen the other two cars and go around them. So...a normal car would have upshifted when you let off. Not the camaro, it'll hang in that gear for a bit. If you go back to driving normal it'll upshift and go back to normal Aldo after a few seconds.
2004 5.7 GTO 78mm turbo
Camarowguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2011, 07:23 AM   #12
mlee
CamaroFans.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camarowguy View Post
Yes it is. Driving normal is not seeing 4500rpm. That's considered agressive. The ECM Trys to anticipate what you are going to do next. Example: you cone up on a group of cars...you can accelerate and get over and then you let off for a second so you dont hit the car in front if you. (When you accelerated the trans down shifted to 4th.) so now you get back on it a little bit to get inbeteeen the other two cars and go around them. So...a normal car would have upshifted when you let off. Not the camaro, it'll hang in that gear for a bit. If you go back to driving normal it'll upshift and go back to normal Aldo after a few seconds.
Old 08-10-2011, 06:38 PM   #13
Three of Swords

Drives: 2011 IBM 1SS/RS L99
I've found this happens every time if you accelerate hard while cornering. In a straight line, not so much. (Might only be in Sport mode since that's the only mode I drive in.)
Old 08-10-2011, 06:40 PM   #14
aet08

Drives: c
must be american made!
aet08 is offline   Reply With Quote