Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V6 LFX Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 05-16-2014, 04:54 PM   #15
NJ-JRS
C5

Drives: 2012 2LT/RS Red accents on Black
Wow good to see they finally made something for this issue.

I see both Elite's and RX's products online. Anyone have a preference as to which one to go with? Any issues closing the hood with either?

Also can someone explain if I'm missing something; I'm not sure where the clean tube comes from, but obvi it's coming from somewhere into the intake tubing. These 'oil seperator' caps I'm seeing seem to have one valve side on them; I would think it needs one on each end to act as a 'pass-through' device in this line for the vapors just like the normal catch cans on the dirty side. Can someone explain to a layman what I'm missing about this?
NJ-JRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2014, 05:01 PM   #16
6bangerBOOM

Drives: 2016 1SS SW
A little bit off oil is going to come through there especially if you have a heavy right foot. It's not good but it isn't indicative of a serious engine problem (not likely at least). During normal driving the air restriction of the throttle body plate creates a difference in pressure between the clean side and the dirty side. Air flows in the clean side, through the crankcase, and out the dirty side. At wide open throttle there is significantly less differential pressure between the intake manifold and the intake tubing because the throttle plate is restricting much less air flow. Thus, small amounts of oil are able to make their way through the clean side tubing and into the intake tubing and throttle body.

Because it was designed as a track ready car the 1LE has an oil separator that prevents this as the car is expected to spend some time in WOT conditions.

Last edited by 6bangerBOOM; 05-16-2014 at 05:24 PM.
6bangerBOOM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2014, 05:05 PM   #17
Eddiefuzz

Drives: 2011 RS
Have you noticed a difference with the ported throttle body, or still nothing? I love mine I could feel a difference right away.
Eddiefuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2014, 05:08 PM   #18
JDP Sales

Drives: Chevys at the limit
Quote:
Originally Posted by 6bangerBOOM View Post
A little bit off oil is going to come through there especially if you have a heavy right foot. It's not good but it isn't indicative of a serious engine problem (not likely at least). During normal driving the air restriction of the throttle body plate creates a difference in pressure between the clean side and the dirty side. Air flows in the clean side, through the crankcase, and out the dirty side. At wide open throttle there is significantly less differential pressure between the intake manifold and the intake tubing because the throttle plate is restricting much less air flow. Thus, small amounts of oil are able to make their way through the clean side tubing and into the manifold.

Because it was designed as a track ready car the 1LE has an oil separator that prevents this as the car is expected to spend some time in WOT conditions.
Great explanation! Couldn't have said it better.
O.P., like others have said you'll want to look into the clean side separator or a second catch can. Personally, I prefer a dual catch can setup.

Feel free to call, PM or email me anytime with questions.

Best regards,

Tyler
888-308-6007
JDP Sales is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2014, 05:11 PM   #19
911medic

Drives: 2012 SIM 2LT/1970 Camaro
The PCV system works like this:

Intake manifold vacuum draws air from the crankcase via the dirty side tube. Normally this pulls all the combustion byproducts and oil vapors out of the crankcase (and is supposed to burn them via combustion) , and prevents excessive pressure buildup. The catch can separates these byproducts out for draining instead of allowing them back into the intake, where they can coke up the valves.

To prevent creating a vacuum in the crankcase, there is an intake tube on the clean side. It pulls air from the intake tube, after the MAF sensor -- important, as eventually this air still ends up in the combustion chamber and needs to be accounted for by the ECM. This design allows for a "flow through" system, with no excessive pressure or vacuum in the crankcase.

Under some circumstances (WOT, forced induction, etc) intake manifold vacuum drops or disappears. Under those conditions, air (and oil, etc) can flow back down the clean side tube and be drawn into the intake tube and on to the throttle body. The separators (not catch cans) are designed to capture this backflow and allow it to drain back into the valve cover after the vacuum returns to normal. The separator allows air through the tube from the intake tube and also out its bottom, into the valve cover.

Hope that helps.
Wishlist: ACS T5 Splitter -- Hood Vent Mod -- Footwell/Door Pull/Homelink Button Lighting
911medic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2014, 05:11 PM   #20
NJ-JRS
C5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddiefuzz View Post
Have you noticed a difference with the ported throttle body, or still nothing? I love mine I could feel a difference right away.
Still nothing unfortunately. I'm almost wondering if there's been underlying issues at hand from day one with my car since I don't notice a lot of the changes people have spoke about with these upgrades. Once I put CAI one, the only thing I noticed was less response/a delay on acceleration when I'd hit the gas; even added the apex scoop didn't change the way it felt. :(
Old 05-16-2014, 05:24 PM   #21
911medic

Quote:
A little bit off oil is going to come through there especially if you have a heavy right foot. It's not good but it isn't indicative of a serious engine problem (not likely at least). During normal driving the air restriction of the throttle body plate creates a difference in pressure between the clean side and the dirty side. Air flows in the clean side, through the crankcase, and out the dirty side. At wide open throttle there is significantly less differential pressure between the intake manifold and the intake tubing because the throttle plate is restricting much less air flow. Thus, small amounts of oil are able to make their way through the clean side tubing and into the manifold.

Nice explanation. My typing skills on my phone are too slow (and my post was too long).
Wishlist: ACS T5 Splitter -- Hood Vent Mod -- Footwell/Door Pull/Homelink Button Lighting
Old 05-16-2014, 06:02 PM   #22
NJ-JRS
C5

Hey guys,

Thanks for all the extra details, but to clarify the thing I'm confused about; since there's a hose running into the intake tube from the top area of the pic, I would think this new separator would be put into the middle of this line (green drawing, green circle being the separator).

From what I see though, unless Im not seeing it correctly, it replaces the oil cap and runs just one line to the intake tube (yellow in image), no? Does this mean the northern part of the original hose is now of no use and is just an open exposed hole (the area circled red) after the separator is installed?
Attached Images

Old 05-16-2014, 06:08 PM   #23
ratfinkharley

Drives: 15 JKU, 00 S10, 73 Vette, 12 JK
can you post a pic of your catch can install?

RotoFab CAI - VMaxx Ported TB - Apex Catch Can - CFD Shifter - Choppers Inc Loaded Dice Shift Knob
ratfinkharley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2014, 06:38 PM   #24
skibik

Drives: bbbbbb
The hose you are referring to is the clean side. This to me is GM's idea of getting all pollutants. This is where your oil is coming from. I have the same problem. The easiest explanation is the air box is creating a bigger vacuum and is overcoming the dirty side that is hooked to the top of the manifold and pulling the vapor into the intake tube and into you TB. I don't see how it does it but it does. The old days you had a PCV valve in the valve cover on one side and a breather cap on the other.
skibik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2014, 06:44 PM   #25
intensifi

Drives: '12 2LT Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ-JRS View Post
Hey guys,

Thanks for all the extra details, but to clarify the thing I'm confused about; since there's a hose running into the intake tube from the top area of the pic, I would think this new separator would be put into the middle of this line (green drawing, green circle being the separator).

From what I see though, unless Im not seeing it correctly, it replaces the oil cap and runs just one line to the intake tube (yellow in image), no? Does this mean the northern part of the original hose is now of no use and is just an open exposed hole (the area circled red) after the separator is installed?
The separator air line plugs into the intake air tube (like the line you hi-lighted) and it's body replaces the oil cap. The other end of the line you hi-lighted is capped in a separator install. Basically you pull that line you hi-lighted out. There is a junction piece on the far end that when pulled GENTLY will pop out of the valve cover. DO NOT LOSE THIS PIECE! Measure the diameter of the end that plugged into the line you removed. Go to Auto Zone (or equivalent) and buy a small heavy duty rubber cap and a small clamp (they come in sets). Cap the piece on the rear of the valve cover. This information pertains to the factory 1LE separator. You can't use the cap that comes with it as it is too small for the LFX engine piece you are capping. This info is in my 1LE separator install DIY I referenced earlier.

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=314149

If you get the new Elite separator for the LFX it may come with everything you need. I haven't seen one so I don't know.

As to your throttle body response...

If you had more than a few thousand miles on the engine before you installed the catch can then you have a dirty intake manifold and valves. Preventing this buildup is why you bought the catch can. Buying the can didn't clean what was already in there though. If you notice a bit of a rough idle or delayed acceleration then your intake system is most likely dirty. Did the manifold feel oily when you installed the throttle body? To fix that there is another DIY I wrote for cleaning the LFX intake and valves.

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=288997

IMHO unless you have a very clean intake tract, a ported throttle body is useless.

Performing all this work is worth it though. The LFX is a sweet motor when it can breath! A good catch can and clean side separator will really help keep it clean and breathing well. I did all this work several thousand miles ago. It still runs great.

Last edited by intensifi; 05-16-2014 at 06:59 PM.
intensifi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2014, 06:47 PM   #26
6bangerBOOM

Drives: 2016 1SS SW
Quote:
Originally Posted by 911medic View Post
Nice explanation. My typing skills on my phone are too slow (and my post was too long).
Think of my post as your post's Cliff Notes.
6bangerBOOM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2014, 08:01 AM   #27
BigRed585Lbs

Drives: Sierra and Tahoe
Excuse my "ignorant" post. I did not "search" before I spoke and did not have all the historical facts on what I referred to.

Last edited by BigRed585Lbs; 05-20-2014 at 02:42 PM.
BigRed585Lbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2014, 08:26 AM   #28
911medic

Quote:
Think of my post as your post's Cliff Notes.
Lol