Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Suspension / Brakes / Chassis

Old 07-06-2011, 03:23 PM   #29
CamaroBC

Drives: Cyber Grey 2LT RS Coupe
I've looked under nothing appears wrong. I think what's getting hit is that big thick metal strip that goes across. Cuz I can feel it where my feet are when it bangs. I don't know what that's called. But it's after the front bumper and after the first metal part that's hidden by the bumper and then there's a space and bam there it is.

Or maybe this is just a reality of horrible NYC roads. Maybe most people here live in better road areas. If someone in the tri state area wants to drive down queens blvd and go on to the Long island expressway going east be my guest. I bet it nicks you. Also on 78th street upper east side manhattan making a right turn off of 1st ave go ahead. Theres an unfinished paving and the manhole sticks out.

I think when there is a significant protrusion followed by a depression the car is caught at an angle making it vulnerable to being clipped underneath.
CamaroBC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2011, 03:26 PM   #30
SGOS252382

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by CamaroBC View Post
I've looked under nothing appears wrong. I think what's getting hit is that big thick metal strip that goes across. Cuz I can feel it where my feet are when it bangs. I don't know what that's called. But it's after the front bumper and after the first metal part that's hidden by the bumper and then there's a space and bam there it is.

Or maybe this is just a reality of horrible NYC roads. Maybe most people here live in better road areas. If someone in the tri state area wants to drive down queens blvd and go on to the Long island expressway going east be my guest. I bet it nicks you. Also on 78th street upper east side manhattan making a right turn off of 1st ave go ahead. Theres an unfinished paving and the manhole sticks out.

I think when there is a significant protrusion followed by a depression the car is caught at an angle making it vulnerable to being clipped underneath.

Did you measure the height from the ground to the bottom of your front fender lip? I'm curious to know how many inches your fender sits from the ground. We can compare that to what is consider "normal" for a stock Camaro.
SGOS252382 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2011, 03:28 PM   #31
SGOS252382

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by JusticePete View Post
Is the suspension stock?
That's the million dollar question. He doesn't know. I'm thinking it is. He bought the car already modded.
SGOS252382 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2011, 03:29 PM   #32
Angrybird 12
7 year Cancer Survivor!

Drives: 17 Cruze RS, 07 G6 GT, 99 Astro
Looks to me the rear is higher than the front of your car. Do you have larger wheels on the rear than the front?
Old 07-06-2011, 03:38 PM   #33
Angrybird 12
7 year Cancer Survivor!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SGOS252382 View Post
Did you measure the height from the ground to the bottom of your front fender lip? I'm curious to know how many inches your fender sits from the ground. We can compare that to what is consider "normal" for a stock Camaro.
I think in your previous post instead of measuring from the ground to the bottom of the fender it should be from the ground to the top of the wheel well arch in the fender. 30" to the bottom of the fender would be pretty high, like a raised 4X4.
Old 07-06-2011, 03:49 PM   #34
GEEo
OKCamaros

Drives: 4 banger Diesel
Quote:
Originally Posted by Z28RockStar View Post
:sucide:
GEEo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2011, 04:12 PM   #35
fastkevman

Drives: 2011 Victory Red 1SS/RS M6
Quote:
That piece holds your transmission up and is aluminum......you don't want to be hitting that, something will break.
fastkevman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2011, 04:59 PM   #36
CamaroBC

Quote:
Originally Posted by SGOS252382 View Post
If you crawl under your car you'll see a flat, thin, brace that go across the tunnel. Your stock exhaust goes right above it.

Check out the first post in this thread. It's an aftermarket tunnel brace.
http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showth...t=tunnel+brace

Check to see if your exhaust is touching or real close to making contact with the tunnel brace. That can cause a banging noise when you go over bumps.

I see you have an axle back exhaust, That shouldn't make your exhaust hang lower. Its usually aftermarket catbacks that cause the problem.
Nah it isn't that. I'll measure soon when I get a chance
Old 07-06-2011, 05:48 PM   #37
Sleepy

Drives: 2011 LS M6 SW
Quote:

I drive to Queens Mall regularly. Getting on 495 east from Queens blvd isn't a problem for me with stock suspension. I normally take it at 30mph.
Sleepy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2011, 12:37 AM   #38
CamaroBC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sleepy View Post
I drive to Queens Mall regularly. Getting on 495 east from Queens blvd isn't a problem for me with stock suspension. I normally take it at 30mph.

hey, get on the LIE going to long island from queens blvd, its straight and to the right, pretty much diagnal from the mall. As you go up the ramp it curves to the right, and once your on top of the ramp, theres an almost unnoticeable drop of section of concrete to concrete.

try it consciously tell me what you find.

And not that this is the the only example Im just noticing that more and more expressways are being lazily constructed like this on exits and entrances. Like also the Jackie Robinson Pkway.
Old 07-07-2011, 11:25 AM   #39
jtzako

Drives: 2010 IBM Camaro SS
When the exhaust hits the tunnel brace it thuds the entire floor of the car. You WILL feel it in your feet. It is only held on by 4 bolts, just take it off and go drive. I bet the issue will go away. FWIW, it will not look wrong when you look under there. It will be about 1" clearance but it can move enough when driving to hit that.

The metal under the engine bay would be extremely unlikely to hit anything since the suspension cant travel that far. (unless the road has serious ruts in it and the center part is high enough to bottom out)
Old 07-07-2011, 12:39 PM   #40
Angrybird 12
7 year Cancer Survivor!

my 2003 Monte Carlo would scrape worse than my Camaro has. I think it had more to do with the long front overhang, the Camaro has much less overhang.
Old 07-07-2011, 06:04 PM   #41
Sleepy

Drives: 2011 LS M6 SW
Quote:
hey, get on the LIE going to long island from queens blvd, its straight and to the right, pretty much diagnal from the mall. As you go up the ramp it curves to the right, and once your on top of the ramp, theres an almost unnoticeable drop of section of concrete to concrete.

try it consciously tell me what you find.

And not that this is the the only example Im just noticing that more and more expressways are being lazily constructed like this on exits and entrances. Like also the Jackie Robinson Pkway.
I know what you are talking about. I love taking that ramp fast like an uphill skid pad. Get on the loud paddle and feel the g-force. I drove it over the July 4th weekend without any issue. If it has changed since then I'll try to avoid that route. Instead of taking that ramp on the right, I can make the next left into the service road. Might take a little longer if I hit a red light but the road is definitely smoother. NY roads are one of the worse in the country and can catch me by surprise but I really don't need an SUV to get around. Be careful out there.
Sleepy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2011, 02:59 PM   #42
CamaroBC

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtzako View Post
When the exhaust hits the tunnel brace it thuds the entire floor of the car. You WILL feel it in your feet. It is only held on by 4 bolts, just take it off and go drive. I bet the issue will go away. FWIW, it will not look wrong when you look under there. It will be about 1" clearance but it can move enough when driving to hit that.

The metal under the engine bay would be extremely unlikely to hit anything since the suspension cant travel that far. (unless the road has serious ruts in it and the center part is high enough to bottom out)

why would the exhaust hit the tunnel brace?