Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Members Area > General Automotive + Other Cars Discussion

Old 06-01-2018, 10:09 AM   #365
Bhobbs

Drives: 2015 SS 1LE Red Hot, 1970 Chevelle
Quote:
Originally Posted by PYROLYSIS View Post
As far back as the LS1 in the 4th gen they were able to make a low 5 second 0-60 Camaro that was also capable of just under 30mpg. Until the recent Mustang offerings GM always had an advantage in HP and torque in their NA engines over the competition. The new LT5 is set to put the hellcat to shame.
None of those are impossible. Just different objectives between Ford and Chevy.

I’d hope the LT5 bests the Hellcat. You have to pay twice as much to get it.
Old 06-01-2018, 10:11 AM   #366
BMR Sales

Drives: Race Car
Quote:
Originally Posted by JhonnyGTR View Post
The Zora could be a Corvair too
I don't think Duntov had anything to do with Corvairs - to me he is Mr. Corvette!
BMR Sales is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2018, 01:09 PM   #367
xc_SS/RS

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS/RS
the chevy bolt has 200 hp... i wonder how difficult that drivetrain would be to fit in the front of this corvette/caddy thingy
Z/28 intake, NW, FAST 102, speed engineering LT's, some exhaust, ATI -10% pulley, GM flex fuel injectors, DSX flex fuel sensor, MGW shifter, HP Tuners, some suspension work, stickers and a little weight loss. 12.63 @113.53
xc_SS/RS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2018, 02:53 PM   #368
JerTM

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by xc_SS/RS View Post
the chevy bolt has 200 hp... i wonder how difficult that drivetrain would be to fit in the front of this corvette/caddy thingy
Still holding out that it's a Cadillac?
JerTM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2018, 12:37 PM   #369
FenwickHockey65
General Motors Aficionado

Drives: 2023 GMC Canyon, 2020 Colorado
Send a message via AIM to FenwickHockey65
https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...mechanics.html

Oops.
Old 06-12-2018, 01:59 PM   #370
JhonnyGTR

Drives: La Macarena
Quote:
Originally Posted by FenwickHockey65 View Post
Thoughs about this... "Short time to get filled with gas, and the battery goes dead. Not a good sign. OR, maybe the mid engine is an EV and they couldn't find a battery charging station nearby when the battery ran low on charge, and had to use the truck's battery to recharge the EV Corvette's battery.

First world problems,when you have too many high tech gadgets aboard.

I wonder why they are looking in the frunk, when the engine is in the back? OR, maybe we actually have found out some proof positive information about the mid-engine. The battery is in the front of the car(or is it?). No need to have a poll on "Do you think the battery is in the front or in the rear of the C8?" now. Dang it."
JhonnyGTR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2018, 03:18 PM   #371
BMR Sales

Drives: Race Car
Quote:
Originally Posted by FenwickHockey65 View Post
Pretty Cool!

Fenwick, as a FHD, you must see the Test Vehicles. For a couple of years, I worked for VW-Audi as a Test Driver out of Tampa (VW Bugs out of Gibsonton). I know that Ford and Harley Davidson did Testing in Ft Myers Naples (there is a track out in the Glades). Obviously GM is here.

Here I am in Autoweek

Last edited by BMR Sales; 06-13-2018 at 09:27 AM.
BMR Sales is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2018, 03:58 PM   #372
xc_SS/RS

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerTM View Post
Still holding out that it's a Cadillac?
i think we are seeing a Corvette in the pictures and not a Cadillac. i do however think (anticipate) there will be a halo Cadillac that is mid-engined at some point in the future
Z/28 intake, NW, FAST 102, speed engineering LT's, some exhaust, ATI -10% pulley, GM flex fuel injectors, DSX flex fuel sensor, MGW shifter, HP Tuners, some suspension work, stickers and a little weight loss. 12.63 @113.53
xc_SS/RS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2018, 05:29 PM   #373
JerTM

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by xc_SS/RS View Post
i think we are seeing a Corvette in the pictures and not a Cadillac. i do however think (anticipate) there will be a halo Cadillac that is mid-engined at some point in the future
I liked the look of the XLR, but what a turd it turned out to be. It was odd to step into a Cadillac and feel that the interior was somehow cheaper and the engine was less powerful with a crappy Northstar. Cadillac should have just let Chevrolet build it and put a Cadillac crest on it haha. I wouldn't mind seeing a Cadillac version f the MR Vette, if done correctly.
JerTM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2018, 06:11 PM   #374
DGthe3
Moderator.ca

Drives: 05 Grand Am GT
Send a message via MSN to DGthe3
Quote:
Originally Posted by JhonnyGTR View Post
Thoughs about this... "Short time to get filled with gas, and the battery goes dead. Not a good sign. OR, maybe the mid engine is an EV and they couldn't find a battery charging station nearby when the battery ran low on charge, and had to use the truck's battery to recharge the EV Corvette's battery.

First world problems,when you have too many high tech gadgets aboard.

I wonder why they are looking in the frunk, when the engine is in the back? OR, maybe we actually have found out some proof positive information about the mid-engine. The battery is in the front of the car(or is it?). No need to have a poll on "Do you think the battery is in the front or in the rear of the C8?" now. Dang it."
I highly doubt its an EV being charged with jumper cables. For one thing, the Bolt has a ~200 mile range on a 60 kWh battery. Lets just say that this Corvette somehow manages similar efficiency. A car battery normally has less than 0.5 kWh of capacity. So, even if it could drain completely in a boost setup (which it can't), that would translate to a mile and a half. All this is assuming that there is even a transformer to convert the low voltage of a car battery to the high voltage of an EV, because simply clipping a good 12 volt battery to a dead 350 volt battery isn't going to charge it.

Think of it like this: would you ever try charging a car battery with a AA? Because relatively speaking, that is a lot closer in capacity & voltage than a car battery is to an EV.

Anyway, most (if not all) cars that have a battery in the back have terminals in the front (like the Camaro). Plus, the battery itself could still be in the front. After all, car batteries are still heavy lumps and putting it in the front of a mid-rear engined car can shift the weight distribution back closer to ideal. No different than putting it the back for a front engined car.
My sister's dentist's brother's cousin's housekeeper's dog-breeder's nephew sells coffee filters to the company that provides coffee to General Motors......
........and HE WOULD KNOW!!!!

Camaro Fest sub-forum
DGthe3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2018, 10:34 AM   #375
Quinten_33

Drives: Silverado
Mid-Engine Corvette (C8) Facts, Knowledge, and Questions

Most information that people are tossing around comes from Car & Driver, a publication known to be unreliable with information regarding future Corvette and Camaro models.

Here’s what the most reliable/credible sources of information have stated:
- The car WILL be a Corvette
- GM referred to the mid-engine car as “the next generation Corvette” at the dealer conference*
- The C8 will use an LT1, a 4.6L Twin-Turbo V8, a 5.4L Twin-Turbo V8, and the LT1 will eventually be replaced by a naturally aspirated DOHC V8 (Images 1, 2, 3, and 4)
- The only transmission will be a TREMEC DCT (C&D says an 8-speed DCT, who knows?) (Image 1)**
- There were 30,000 transmissions ordered by GM**
- The base price will follow the Corvette’s idea of “If you can afford the current generation, you can afford the next.”
- The C8.R GTLM car will be ready for the 2020 season***
- Production of the C8 will begin September 2019

Things that common sense tell us:
- C7 production won’t end September 2019 as that’d give the ZR1 just a year and a half to sell
- The convertible option will be a folding hardtop with 488 Spider-like buttresses (Image 5)
- The entire lineup will be much lighter than the C7 generation Corvettes.
- GM will not make flat-plane crank V8’s like Car & Driver says because it’s expensive, unreliable, and vibrates a lot. That engine would also have to have the bore:stroke ratio of a Ducati Panigale if it were 5.5L like Car and Driver says. The only rebuttal to my claim is that the C8 will use active engine mounts like a Porsche, as shown in multiple CAD leaks. Those mounts would reduce the vibrations from a FPC engine.

Important things that we don’t know:
- Will they make a front-engine C8?
- Base price
- Targa vs fixed roof for the coupe
- Storage solutions
- International availability
- Will they actually make the 1000hp hybrid version? - Ed Welburn says yes ****
- What is the E-Ray?
- What will the trademark ZORA be used for?

The IVERs (pre-production cars, prototypes, mules, etc.) are currently in South Florida. One had an electrical failure and was towed to a nearby shop. A friend of the towing company was told by the company that the Corvettes will be heading to Germany in a few weeks for autobahn testing. They could definitely make their way to the Nurburgring, and that would begin show the capabilities of the car.

Sources:
*https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...is-coming.html

**https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...30k-units.html

***https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...al-source.html

****https://youtu.be/UX1I6qkqiSM

Related images:
Attached Images

Last edited by Quinten_33; 06-16-2018 at 02:21 PM.
Quinten_33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2018, 11:58 AM   #376
JhonnyGTR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quinten_33 View Post
Most information that people are tossing around comes from Car & Driver, a publication known to be unreliable with information regarding future Corvette and Camaro models.

Here’s what the most reliable/credible sources of information have stated:
- The car WILL be a Corvette
- GM referred to the mid-engine car as “the next generation Corvette” at the dealer conference*
- The C8 will use an LT1, a 4.6L Twin-Turbo V8, a 5.4L Twin-Turbo V8, and the LT1 will eventually be replaced by a naturally aspirated DOHC V8 (Images 1, 2, 3, and 4)
- The only transmission will be a TREMEC DCT (C&D says an 8-speed DCT, who knows?) (Image 1)**
- There were 30,000 transmissions ordered by GM**
- The base price will follow the Corvette’s idea of “If you can afford the current generation, you can afford the next.”
- The C8.R GTLM car will be ready for the 2020 season***
- Production of the C8 will begin September 2019

Things that common sense tell us:
- C7 production won’t end September 2019 as that’d give the ZR1 just a year and a half to sell
- The convertible option will be a folding hardtop with 488 Spider-like buttresses (Image 5)
- The entire lineup will be much lighter than the C7 generation Corvettes.
- GM will not make flat-plane crank V8’s like Car & Driver says because it’s expensive, unreliable, and vibrates a lot. The only rebuttal to my claim is that the C8 will use active engine mounts like a Porsche, as shown in multiple CAD leaks. Those mounts would reduce the vibrations from a FPC engine.

Important things that we don’t know:
- Will they make a front-engine C8?
- Base price
- Targa vs fixed roof for the coupe
- Storage solutions
- International availability
- Will they actually make the 1000hp hybrid version? - Ed Welburn says yes ****
- What is the E-Ray?
- What will the trademark ZORA be used for?

The IVERs (pre-production cars, prototypes, mules, etc.) are currently in South Florida. One had an electrical failure and was towed to a nearby shop. A friend of the towing company was told by the company that the Corvettes will be heading to Germany in a few weeks for autobahn testing. They could definitely make their way to the Nurburgring, and that would begin show the capabilities of the car.

Sources:
*https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...is-coming.html

**https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...30k-units.html

***https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...al-source.html

****https://youtu.be/UX1I6qkqiSM

Related images:
This is the part that catch my ATTENTION ATTENTION (People who listen Shinedown will catch the reference), Not only we'll see the Car capabilities on the track, but also we'll see moar of the car with less Camouflage
Old 06-16-2018, 02:46 PM   #377
Quinten_33

Drives: Silverado
Here are additional images, including a rendering done by a CorvetteForum member who worked very closely with someone who has seen the full, uncovered car to make it as accurate as possible.
Attached Images

Quinten_33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2018, 04:41 PM   #378
JhonnyGTR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quinten_33 View Post
Here are additional images, including a rendering done by a CorvetteForum member who worked very closely with someone who has seen the full, uncovered car to make it as accurate as possible.
Wou wou Man are Sure that is safe to drop that kind of Bomb? (The bumpers)