Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Specific Models / Packages > Camaro 1LE Forum

Old 04-08-2015, 10:55 AM   #1
Mr. Wyndham
I used to be Dragoneye...

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
Send a message via AIM to Mr. Wyndham
If you've got Michelin Pilot Super Sport Tires...

AND...you've taken your car to a track day with both the Goodyears and the Michelin tires, I have two questions for you:

How did the tires do? And how did you do?

I've heard nothing but good things about the Michelin Pilot Super Sport tires, and would like to put them on the car this summer. However, most people talking about them online haven't set foot on a road course - so all they're talking about it less road noise and how long they last for highway driving. I don't care about any of that.

I really don't have a problem with the OE Goodyears, but the allure of longer treadlife and better wet performance from the Michelin's is strong. However, I'm not willing to sacrifice on-track performance. Ferarri, Porche, Corvette, and Cadillac all use these tires are OE equipment, so they've got to be some kind of good, hell - the Z06 uses them!! But I'm hoping to hear from people here that use these cars the way they were meant to be used before plopping down $1400. Thanks all!
Old 04-08-2015, 11:13 AM   #2
VOGGS-LS3-1LE
Angry by Nature

Drives: 13' Camaro 1SS/RS/1LE/NPP 1 of 76
I am right with you, I love the sticky goodyears, hate to buy every 3-5k miles. I track mine. I do not want to loose any grip at the limit.

2013 CHEVROLET CAMARO 1SS/RS/1LE/NPP
1 OF 76
Roto Fab CAI
1LE BADGES
VOGGS-LS3-1LE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2015, 11:31 AM   #3
Mr. Wyndham

Quote:
Originally Posted by VOGGS-LS3-1LE View Post
I am right with you, I love the sticky goodyears, hate to buy every 3-5k miles. I track mine. I do not want to loose any grip at the limit.
And this...is a perfect example of why I'm stressing a little bit about switching:

http://www.motortrend.com/roadtests/...g_skidpad.html

I really, really like the balance and feel of this car. And I don't want to mess it up.
Old 04-08-2015, 11:41 AM   #4
So Cal Camaro
So Cal Race Team

Drives: 2013 Camaro
It really depends on which Michelin PSS you use...as you pointed out, Ferrari, Porsche & Corvette's use these tires...so you have to find the PSS that will work for your Camaro...I've found mine, but it takes some research to get the right one...Michelin PSS tires are not all created the same, even in the same size...
Old 04-08-2015, 11:46 AM   #5
Mr. Wyndham

Quote:
Originally Posted by So Cal Camaro View Post
It really depends on which Michelin PSS you use...as you pointed out, Ferrari, Porsche & Corvette's use these tires...so you have to find the PSS that will work for your Camaro...I've found mine, but it takes some research to get the right one...Michelin PSS tires are not all created the same, even in the same size...
Interesting. I knew they "customized" the tires...but I thought, like they did for the ZL1 using the Goodyear tires, it was minimal - compounds stayed the same.

Could you elaborate?
Old 04-08-2015, 11:47 AM   #6
JimE

Drives: 2013 2SS/RS/1LE
There is another thread here somewhere where this was discussed. If I recall correctly, everyone had faster times with the Good Years, how much faster varied by the track/track type.

If you track your car, I'd suggest two sets of wheels/tires, which many people use anyway just to have "summer" and "winter" tires.
JimE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2015, 11:49 AM   #7
titanfan
Account Suspended

Drives: Several in a big garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by So Cal Camaro View Post
This.
titanfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2015, 11:51 AM   #8
Mr. Wyndham

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimE View Post
There is another thread here somewhere where this was discussed. If I recall correctly, everyone had faster times with the Good Years, how much faster varied by the track/track type.

If you track your car, I'd suggest two sets of wheels/tires, which many people use anyway just to have "summer" and "winter" tires.
I'm less concerned with "fast times" as I am with the feel of the car. Oversteer vs understeer, turn in response, predictability in grip & braking.

I already have two sets of tires as I drive the car year 'round. Pirelli Scorpion Winter tires, and the Goodyears...it's time to replace the Goodyear's, and I don't want to make a $1400 mistake.

Have any idea what section that thread was in? I'll go look for it.
Old 04-08-2015, 12:09 PM   #9
White_SS/RS

Drives: 14 1LE
Kinda sounds like you already know what you want to do. Not sure there is a compelling reason you should switch, since tracking will surely mitigate any life expectancy in a tire as well as some of your other concerns.
Old 04-08-2015, 12:12 PM   #10
Mr. Wyndham

Quote:
Originally Posted by White_SS/RS View Post
Kinda sounds like you already know what you want to do. Not sure there is a compelling reason you should switch, since tracking will surely mitigate any life expectancy in a tire as well as some of your other concerns.
True...you caught me. But it always helps to sound off and see what you get back from people. I've done a lot of my own research, but so far - I have not heard from anyone with a 1LE and Pilot Super Sports who've taken it to a track.
Old 04-08-2015, 12:33 PM   #11
guerrillakilla13

Drives: 2014 Camaro 2SS RS 1LE
Here's the thing tho, on the track (with our cars), your asking about something entirely different. for overall comfort and feel I've yet to see a bad review on the tires. So I'd be confident in buying them, which I'll probably do, over our current tires. Plus I heard it has more tread. Our tread sucks
guerrillakilla13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2015, 12:36 PM   #12
Mr. Wyndham

Quote:
Originally Posted by guerrillakilla13 View Post
Here's the thing tho, on the track (with our cars), your asking about something entirely different.
I know - that's why I'm asking it.
Old 04-08-2015, 12:53 PM   #13
markgws6

Drives: 2019 Chevy Equinox Premier AWD
I've had both tires on the track here. Both were at Thunderhill 5 mile, last year with some "medium worn" stock GY tires, and this year on some "new" PSS tires in the same size.

I can say this: Both tires provide excellent grip on the track.

Some observations with the PSS tires:

The grip seemed to get better throughout the day, and after pressure adjustments made until around 2-3pm, when the track temp got near it's peak. The grip then became slightly greasy. But I've also had this happen with the Goodyears, but to a lesser extent. Also, the PSS had more tread as they were "newer" so I expected this.

On braking and turn-in, I noticed quite a bit more tire noise (screetching) than on the Goodyears. But I've also changed my front brake compound to a race compound so I cannot say it is purely the tires fault. Never did I feel the car was upset more than it should have been and I was consistently out-braking cars such as GT3 and GT2 Porsches.
Edit: I meant to also say overall cornering grip was just as good as the Goodyears (when the track was not hot.)

I will say initial turn in and feel did not feel quite as crisp. I think as far as overall performance on the track, you'll find there are better choices than the PSS tires, which are really a extreme performance street tire. I plan to eventually get a second set of street wheels and use a track only tire in the future, possibly on Z/28 wheels.

Hope this helps.

Last edited by markgws6; 04-08-2015 at 02:14 PM.
markgws6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2015, 12:59 PM   #14
Nick S

Drives: 2013 Camaro 1LE
I have not personally hit the road course track with my PSS's but I have done autoX with them. Compared to the goodyears (especially in the cooler weather when I was AutoXing) the PSS's were much better and much more predictable. AutoX doesn't give much time to heat the tires up since you are only running for ~60sec at a time and then waiting for 20min.

But from other reviews I've read where people hit the road courses more when you start running the 20-30 minute sessions with the PSS's then tend to get too hot and get a little greasy. Most say the stock Goodyear's perform better than the PSS's when track temps start getting higher. So I think the length of time you plan to be on the track at any given time as well as the track itself will play an important role in how the tires feel.

Sorry I don't have much personal experience to provide you but I have read a lot about the PSS's on this forum and my conclusion based on all of the impressions I've read is (assuming ambient temps at or above 60degF) are to use the stock GoodYears for road courses and PSS's for autoX. (assuming you are choosing between street tires and not R-compound track tires).