Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 08-15-2014, 02:18 AM   #15
Sapper12b
HTCC Member

Drives: 2013 Camaro SS
Valkyrja ... you know i had a similar experience this week. I was hanging out at my local performance shop and was given a ride in a new Z28, had 115 miles on the odometer. Lets just say that i got to appreciate all the engineering that went into the Z28. Then i was given the keys and allowed to take her for a spin, lets just say WOW and AWESOME! I jumped into my SS and was completely depressed and my driving experience has been completly ruined ..... lol
Attached Images

Old 08-15-2014, 02:19 AM   #16
CamaroBody

Drives: Hyper Blue 2SS
Mazda 3 or Camaro lt... neither eww
CamaroBody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2014, 06:25 AM   #17
trashmanssd

Drives: Black 14 2SS/1LE/RS 14 Tundra
Yeah I would love chance to try a Mazda Miata or Pontiac Solstice (saturn sky) or Smart Roadster (european only), Subaru BRZ. Bet those cars are fun to push 5-10 over the speed limit and you are challenging the car a little bit. The Camaro needs to see a track and 20-30 over to start to challenge it a little and twice the limit to give it a real go. But when it comes to comfortable cruising the other 90% of the time you are driving I would hate those cars small tight cramped need rev the hell out it to get into the powerband down shift just to pass anyone on the highway.

For those who havent seen a Smart roadster.

trashmanssd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2014, 08:09 AM   #18
Scalded Dog

Drives: 2011 1LT
My commute takes me along about 15 miles of winding mountain roads, each direction, every day. I cannot believe the abuse this car takes, as for the past nearly- three- years, I have thrown it into every turn, drifted through many, and eaten tires up like a cheap cheeseburger on a Jenny Craig free day.

I wake up every morning, and my thought process goes like this: "Dang... gotta go to work. Oh wait: I get to drive the Camaro!" After three years, the feeling has not diminished, not one bit. I am so glad for the mountain roads, the car that negotiates like a boss, and the fact that this thing keeps going and going and going, like the Energizer bunny.
Scalded Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2014, 08:45 AM   #19
dyn2av8

Drives: 2014 2SS Spring Special Edition M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scalded Dog View Post
My commute takes me along about 15 miles of winding mountain roads, each direction, every day. I cannot believe the abuse this car takes, as for the past nearly- three- years, I have thrown it into every turn, drifted through many, and eaten tires up like a cheap cheeseburger on a Jenny Craig free day.

I wake up every morning, and my thought process goes like this: "Dang... gotta go to work. Oh wait: I get to drive the Camaro!" After three years, the feeling has not diminished, not one bit. I am so glad for the mountain roads, the car that negotiates like a boss, and the fact that this thing keeps going and going and going, like the Energizer bunny.

+1 I used to commute to work. Now I DRIVE to work!!
CAI Cold Air Intake, Billet Customs Catch Can
Traded in My 2011 2LT RS Auto V6 at 75K miles

dyn2av8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2014, 08:53 AM   #20
elektrik

Drives: 2012 ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by dyn2av8 View Post
+1 I used to commute to work. Now I DRIVE to work!!
+2!!
elektrik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2014, 08:57 AM   #21
SubSonic

Drives: 2014 SS/RS M6
This whole thread makes me hate my commute. 30 miles in rush hour each way. On the 2 worst highways in the DFW metroplex. Lots of stop and go, at just the right speed to catch the skip shift.

I wish I had your problem.
Glad you're enjoying your car!
SubSonic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2014, 12:44 AM   #22
Pink Lady
Pedal to the metal.

Drives: 2010 2LT Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by Austin45 View Post
I read an article on motor trend asking if you would rather drive a
slow car fast or a fast car slow... basically the same premise. The argument is that it can be more fun to push an uncapable car to the limit then it is a capable car.
My daily driver is a 2007 cobalt with 206000 miles on it. I drive colbie like i am in a hurry. My whole theory is pedal metal drive.
Now for my camaro everyone makes fun of me because I drive her like a "old lady". I'd drive pink lady more if my commute wasnt 100 miles a day and i didnt care about warranty or my paint job.
I dont have anything to proven in pink lad t but Colbie I've got lots to prove.
Pink Lady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2014, 01:15 AM   #23
CamaroBody

Drives: Hyper Blue 2SS
a pink Camaro...
CamaroBody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2014, 02:12 PM   #24
backbaconrules

Drives: 2011 LT Black
Quote:
Originally Posted by CamaroBody View Post
a pink Camaro...
Still better than a BMW
backbaconrules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2014, 04:57 PM   #25
Frank in MD
Raining Blood

Drives: 2014 SS Performance Sedan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Valkyrja View Post
It was a great commute. Some winding back roads and no need to keep to the speed limit (but do not go too far over since the police use them to quickly get around the uglier bits and pieces of rush hour traffic). Driving my Mazda 3 I would have a certain angle I would attack each turn with along with shifting and hitting the gas -- maintaining the speed limit or going over it without crossing the center or side lines.

Enter my little Viper, the Camaro. The turns I once thought challenging are simply too easy to navigate, the thrill is gone. She handles extremely well and I find myself slowing down as to not risk a ticket from the boys in grey who like to lurk just beyond at times.

Now I need to find new roads to travel and find that excitement once more.

The other women I work with do not get my obsession with my car but fortunately I work with a guy who is into cars and he gets it. I told him the above today and he just laughed.
I see what you did there....

2014 SS Performance Sedan #2974 - Red Hot 2 - S/R. & Spare. Built 01/09/14 #238 of 291 as configured
Frank in MD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2014, 05:03 PM   #26
Pink Lady
Pedal to the metal.

Drives: 2010 2LT Camaro
Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by backbaconrules View Post
Still better than a BMW
Bmws are a dime a dozen where I work.
I've wanted a pink camaro since i was 3 years old... when I was little it was going to be a pink convertible camaro but now im older i prefer T tops which they dont make so I have a sunroof instead. its quite the head turner in person.
Pink Lady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2014, 05:45 PM   #27
JessicasCamaro

Drives: 2018 1SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pink Lady View Post
Bmws are a dime a dozen where I work.
I've wanted a pink camaro since i was 3 years old... when I was little it was going to be a pink convertible camaro but now im older i prefer T tops which they dont make so I have a sunroof instead. its quite the head turner in person.
Pink isn't my color but I think your Pink Lady is beautiful! Very unique and cool

Op, sounds like you are in prime country for enjoying your Camaro even if pushing it to the limit isn't usually advised
JessicasCamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2014, 06:53 PM   #28
ChrisBlair
Buick 455 Fan

Drives: 1970 Buick, 2012 1SS LS3
Quote:
Originally Posted by trashmanssd View Post
Yeah I would love chance to try a Mazda Miata or Pontiac Solstice (saturn sky) or Smart Roadster (european only), Subaru BRZ. Bet those cars are fun to push 5-10 over the speed limit and you are challenging the car a little bit. The Camaro needs to see a track and 20-30 over to start to challenge it a little and twice the limit to give it a real go. But when it comes to comfortable cruising the other 90% of the time you are driving I would hate those cars small tight cramped need rev the hell out it to get into the powerband down shift just to pass anyone on the highway.

I had one for four years. If you're really looking, don't get anything but the Solstice GXP or Sky Redline model, the 2.0L turbocharged LNF. I don't know if you can still get the GMPP tune and new sensors any more, but the GMPP turbo upgrade produced 290 bhp and 340 lb/ft of torque, up from the stock 260 bhp and 260 lb/ft. The power to weight ratio is not much different from my 1SS, and the LNF has some nice tech. Turbo lag is gone before you even think about it. The torque curve with the GMPP tune is wonderful (damn good without it, it's dead flat at 260, stock, across a lot of revs) and there's a lot of grunt under the curve. It's not a peaky engine. I loved mine and I do miss it. The weight distribution is 49/51 if I recall, it was a nice handling car even if the steering was a bit dead feeling. My Sol GXP was a little rocket. And I got 32 mpg (indicated) on the highway. Combined I averaged about 27 mpg. And I burned the tires off that car, all four were smooth, I could make it slide around nice.

But truthfully I am relieved I got rid of it in 2012 before all the bad reports came in on them, and I got max trade in. I didn't have problems with it; I traded in becasue my elderly parents couldn't get in and out of the damned thing. Best looking car I'll ever own, I think, but the problems the cars have in general are a big pill to swallow. My GM service center has two as customer cars and they have trouble getting parts.

But a blast to drive. It's where 'permagrin' originated.