Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 12-09-2013, 04:44 PM   #1
IOMss11

Drives: 2011 Inferno Orange metallic 2SS
Next mod question, intake manifold or cam?

Now, i have a 2010 SS M6, With Full exhaust, (headers, hi flows, and no mufflers) An AFE CAI, 160* Tstat, and Dyno tuned. With those mods i put down 401/396 to the ground. I dont know much else into modding cars, or what the right route to take is, I really want some more power and looking to spend about $2000 with installation, (im from NJ). If i want cam, do i need "heads"? and what does that mean. And has anyone installed the FAST intake manifold, is it worth it? Any help would be greatly appreciated! Thank you!
IOMss11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2013, 04:50 PM   #2
acowherd

Drives: 2010 2ss/RS 4l80. 2009 2500 HD
Ls3 heads flow pretty darn good stock. Put a nice camshaft in that car. Should get you close to 500 rwhp!!

https://www.facebook.com/pages/FNSS-...75028626000379

FNSS Racing!
acowherd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2013, 06:07 PM   #3
christianchevell
old school chevy rodder

Drives: 2013 2SS/RS Manual,DM exhaust,CRT
from studies of the intake manifolds I have seen its a real low gain for the high bucks, and realistically a 30 h.p. gain from a streetable cam is most likely. Just remember too much cam and you need springs and things to go with it. On my old hot rods too much cam also meant having a reserve brake vacuum canister because of the long lope of the cam making it hard on the braking due to loss of vacuum from the long duration and high lift of the cam, or better lifters to go with the cam, or better rockers to go with the lifters and cam and springs and retainers and valve seals....etc. Different runner lengths on intakes make the power band change mainly but have not seen them make much power as the stock intake is a good one. If you do things right you would most like be around 450-465 rear wheel and 500 flywheel with a good cam,heads and a tune for it included,( heads would be about a 30h.p. gain). You could check out livernois or other places that have packages.....like say hennesey, or such.
Old 12-09-2013, 06:57 PM   #4
acowherd

Drives: 2010 2ss/RS 4l80. 2009 2500 HD
The LG G6X3 cam in a ls3 car with supporting mods was around 480 rwhp

If your putting in a cam...springs and pushrods are pretty much a given.

https://www.facebook.com/pages/FNSS-...75028626000379

FNSS Racing!
acowherd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2013, 07:04 PM   #5
Mwalterhouse

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS/RS LS3
I have 465 rwhp with similar mods and Comp Custom Cam. 3.91 gears are next.
Mwalterhouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2013, 07:28 PM   #6
Avenging Orange

Drives: 2010 Inferno Orange 2SS/RS
Intakes will give you some gain....but kinda useless without a cam. The stock heads and intake flow pretty well. Just be careful what cam you get and dont let someone talk u into something u may hate. Talk to some of our sponsors or comp cams....get an idea what you want out of you car and thouroughly investigate what affects different cams have on your vehicle and what other items might be needed to insure you dont have issues later down the line. Good luck.
2010 Inferno Orange 2SS/RS M6 Black Leather, Sun Roof, OBX Headers, Borla touring axle back, Cold Air Inductions CAI , non synthetic fluids, BMR total bushing upgrade/1" lowering springs, DSE 32mm rear sway bar. GM fe4 shocks/struts/LCA's, AAM 3.91 diff, Vertini RFS1.8 20x9 +30. Conti ExtremeContact Sport 275/35/20. sjm autoprod ABL dash kit. Mike Norris tuned 413/419.
Avenging Orange: 43 years of not buying into the Hype........and damn proud of it!!
https://youtu.be/9JD9it6SmB8
https://youtu.be/xmelTlEzI34
KICKING CANCERS ASS SINCE 2015!!
Avenging Orange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2013, 07:32 PM   #7
Joe@CPR.com
Account Suspended

Drives: 03 vette, 94 trans am, 04 gto
For your budget depending on install prices in your area you should be able to do a cam easily. We offer full custom grinds and include complete gaskets kits if need be, but personally i'm sure the shop you use would rather sell you the gasket kit so they can make a little on those, for the intake manifold if you don't want to jump up to a fast we offer full porting of the oem manifolds and have a lot of independent data to back up the gains they produce. If you have any questions please feel free to email, pm, or call me at the shop.
Joe@CPR.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2013, 07:36 PM   #8
Trob85
Svt lol

Drives: 2011 ss inferno orange blown
Cam no comparison as far as hp gains.
Trob85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2013, 09:45 AM   #9
Rocky1974

Drives: 2010 RJT 2SS M6 Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by IOMss11 View Post
Now, i have a 2010 SS M6, With Full exhaust, (headers, hi flows, and no mufflers) An AFE CAI, 160* Tstat, and Dyno tuned. With those mods i put down 401/396 to the ground. I dont know much else into modding cars, or what the right route to take is, I really want some more power and looking to spend about $2000 with installation, (im from NJ). If i want cam, do i need "heads"? and what does that mean. And has anyone installed the FAST intake manifold, is it worth it? Any help would be greatly appreciated! Thank you!
I've got Kooks 1 7/8 long tubes, Kooks high-flow cats, stock cat-back, and CAI cold air w/scoop and I made 416 at the wheels. Of course it was a different dyno, different day, different tuner, etc. Lots of variables. But my tuner told me that I could have about 480 with a cam. I'd say that if you are looking for big gains, a cam is the way to go. The heads and intakes are already pretty good on these cars. The trick will be picking the correct one. Going too big on a cam can be worse than going too small. I'd get some people's recommendations on here and talk to some shops. You should be able to narrow it down to a few grinds pretty quick. if you have a reputable shop in your area who does the installs and dyno tunes, that's where I'd go. If not give Jannetty a call. He should be able to get you on the right track.
2010 RJT 2SS M6, Kooks Long Tubes, NPP Exhaust, CAI Cold Air w/Jannetty Scoop, RotoFab Washer Bottle, Elite Engineering Catch Can, MGW Shifter w/ZL1 Shaft and Knob, 2015 SS Sedan Steering Wheel and Air Bag, 2012 Heater Hose Conversion, 2012 Power Seat Conversion, RS Head Lights,Gen5DIY RS Conversion Harness, LED Fog Lamp Bulbs, Backup Camera Kit, NLP Spoiler, SLP Splitter, ZL1 Rockers and Diffuser, Color Matched Shark Fin, RS Roof Mouldings, Painted White Stripes, WCC LS3 Emblems, Heritage Grille and Blacked Out Tail Light Panel w/Retro SS Emblems, 416 RWHP, 411 RWT, Tuned by BlueCat.
Rocky1974 is offline   Reply With Quote