Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Specific Models / Packages > Camaro Convertible Forum

Old 11-13-2016, 08:15 PM   #1
CyberGuyPR

Drives: '16 vert 2LT RS NPP
Considering 2011 convertible

Greetings Camaro5. I've come across a very nice unit that I am considering as a summer/show car. The unit is a 2011 Inferno Orange convertible 1LT RS automatic. 1 owner, no accidents, 25k miles. 20" wheels, K&N Intake, BBK headers, aftermarket exhaust (not sure of brand), body kit, Kenwood touchscreen stereo with navigation. Currently asking $19.5k

I've physically checked the car and can say that it is in superb shape. Service records looks very good. I have not been able to drive it or operate the top yet but from pics it seems to be lining up good and looks pristine. I am trying to schedule time to take it for a spin and inspect in detail.

I'm trying to educate myself on Camaros (5th gen) as I've always driven Japanese and German cars. In the meanwhile, I was wondering if anyone has any comments on this been a good or bad idea. Thanks in advance for your input.
CyberGuyPR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2016, 08:33 PM   #2
Ryanbabz71

Drives: 2018 Hyper Blue 1SS 1LE
Take a good look at the top. There were issues with the 2011 and early 2012 models (ripping/creases)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Ryanbabz71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2016, 09:03 PM   #3
13BRM2SSRS

Drives: 13 Camaro 2SS Vert L99
Agree with above, checkout the top, I believe there is a tsb ask if the top has been updated.
Black GFX / Dynatech Supermaxx LT Headers / FR Black Chrome ZL1 Replicas 275/315 / RDP Tune / CAI / VMAX TB / MBRP SS Catback / Gtechniq CSL & EXOV3 / VTC / RX Catch Can / Valentine 1 / Halo DRL / LED Fogs
13BRM2SSRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2016, 11:43 PM   #4
2012OrangeVert

Drives: 2012 Orange 2SS/RS Convertible
When I was looking I eliminated the 11 model. Why. Several reasons. First year of Convertibles. Top had issues. Steering wheel was different. Kind of cool looking , but harder to hold, not as comfortable as 12 up. 12 up got better suspension. That is really it. Also would recommend if you could afford it to get the V-8. Now that all being said. If the V-8 is out of your budget, forget that comment. Ask if the top got upgraded. See if you like the steering wheel. The suspension is minor, but it matters to some people. Other than that. Good luck. Shop around if you have time, and enjoy if you do buy this one or another. Great cars.
2012OrangeVert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2016, 08:02 AM   #5
Jasper

Drives: 2011 Summit White Camaro SS (LS3)
As others have said. Look at the top above the drivers and passengers side window for a rub mark. Search here and you'll find the posts about the rub, how it looks and how to fix it yourself (my post). If it's significantly rubbed, you'll probably have to have the top replaced at your cost so you may want a different car. After I got mine replaced under warranty, I fixed the rubbing spots myself and it's been fine so don't be swayed from a VERT if that's what you want. Mine is 2011 and it's been great.

J
Old 11-14-2016, 08:36 AM   #6
CyberGuyPR

Thanks all for the input.
Old 11-14-2016, 10:30 AM   #7
Baba

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2LT RS Convertible
You'd probably do somewhat better on a 2013 (top-wise). See the many threads about top problems for MY 11 and early 12's. LOTS of info.

I posted this quite a while back in a similar thread:
http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showpo...10&postcount=2

"Hello and welcome to the forum.

Primarily 2011 and early build 2012 MY's have had more than their fair share of top issues. Later built 2012's seem to have fewer problems.

However, there are plenty of 2011 and 2012 MY owners here who've had no problems with the top, thus far, myself included.

In all honesty, if you can afford a 2013, they seem to be a significantly lower risk as the top was redesigned.

I suggest reading, reading and more reading and asking a lot of questions. In particular, since I'm relatively certain no warranty will cover the top after the original new-car warranty is expired unless you purchase a GM Certified Pre-Owned Camaro. I think it might but others here might be able to answer that question better than I.

I'm confident plenty of members will share their experiences with you. This is a great forum with many very friendly and knowledgeable owners.

Good luck and please keep us posted on your progress."

In addition, the 1LT and 1SS convertibles (2011-2013) did NOT come with a tonneau cover. This was an add-on accessory for ~$200. If the person / dealer you may buy from does not supply a tonneau, you can buy one. You MUST, however, ensure the BOLTS are installed to which the tonneau cover is attached when you put it on.

In addition, you may want to check the CarFax (if you haven't yet done so) and check the VIN through a Chevy dealer's service department as to whether this particular convertible has had the "top inspection" performed (there's a TSB for this) and or if this convertible has had ANY shop visits for top repairs / replacement, water damage, leaks etc., etc., etc. (no kidding).
3 Pedals
Build Date: 06/27/2011

Purchased: 07/30/2011
Title Received: 08/15/2011

1984 Camaro (3rd Gen.): Traded: 1987

"Meet the new boss. Same as the old boss."

Last edited by Baba; 11-14-2016 at 11:44 AM.
Baba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2016, 10:41 AM   #8
GodWentPunk

Drives: 2015 2SS White Convertible CE/INDY
Are you looking at this car because it's the first you found or you just like this one version??? When I was looking, I initially was looking at the V6 but after a little more time went on, I decided to go with a V8 and deal with the higher gas price and lower mileage...(and I'm happy with that decision). The V8's has a little more stiffer ride but I prefer that anyway.

When it comes to mods, do not add that into the price of the car because if you were to trade it in, dealers would give you $0..

Good luck.

joe...
Old 11-15-2016, 11:35 AM   #9
CyberGuyPR

To add some background, my wife was miserable at her job a bit over a year ago. The deal we made was that she would take a year off, start working on her masters, and then once she reentered the job market I could buy a toy in the form of a show car I've always wanted. I want something American and easy to mod with readily available parts.

I initially started looking at Mustangs but there's something about Camaros that I like better. Maybe because we had Chevrolets growing up, never Fords. Who knows! What attracted me to this particular car is that it is in perfect physical shape and nothing needs to be done to it. Having said that, my wife is of the thought that the newer the car, the better. She suggested I get a newer (2015-16), slightly used unit and then start customizing it to my liking. I'm not opposed to this, but again, attracted to the idea of a car that's already done and I can enjoy right away. With a newer car I need to spend more time and money bringing it to show level.

I'm not a speed/power guy, so V6 vs. V8 never crossed my mind. My only requirement is for the car to be a vert. You guys are making me reconsider and look into V8s. I wouldn't mind a slightly obnoxious exhaust and some V8 growl

I've been perusing CarGurus and have seen some newer verts with low miles and apparent great condition seem good. I'm not in any hurry to buy and my real goals is Spring 2017 so I have more than enough time to make up my mind. Again, I appreciate this fine group's input.
Old 11-15-2016, 12:11 PM   #10
'11 cyber grey vert
"SHARK" Born Apr.26,2011

Drives: 2011 CGM 2LT/RS Convertible
OP- take your time...find the right car for you.
I have a 2011 and have had all the related top problems...
As others have said, look at the 2013 MY and newer ...fewer top issues.
You can't go wrong with either the V6 or V8....it depends on how much you want to spend...I am happy with my V6....miss a bit of the the extra growl (sound), but really don't miss the extra power...can only go so fast here in crazy amount of traffic...and living in a Nanny Province...Police here would through the book at you for burning out..
I didn't think I could contain myself so I opted for the V6 for more of a cruiser

driving a coupe= OK
driving a vert= PRICELESS!!

best of luck with your hunt.
'11 cyber grey vert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2016, 08:43 AM   #11
111wfb

Drives: Camaro
Had an 11 now have a 13. The first time I took the 11 to the dealer, they did something to the top. I wasn't aware of any problems before or after the fix. I installed a edlebrock supercharger kit, headers, frame reinforcement, 3" exhaust, MSD, and injectors. Hawk ceramic brakes to cut down on dust. The car was a real sleeper, no one expects a new convertable to be molded like that. Red lite racers usually found out when I passed them and they heard the exhaust. Oh ya, this is about the top. Car ran fast top up or down, and mine came with the boot. I didn't buy it, it was in the trunk. Never used it. Traded it in on a 13 convertable. Top fine, car faster. ZL1, nobody wants to race anymore. Wish I still had the 11. I'm sure this isn't helpful, but is fun for me to reminisce.
111wfb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2016, 12:32 PM   #12
CyberGuyPR

Thanks all for the support. Wife and I ended up checking a couple of 2016 leftovers at one of our local Chevy dealers and walked out with this beauty.

Old 11-26-2016, 01:00 PM   #13
Ryanbabz71

Drives: 2018 Hyper Blue 1SS 1LE
Nice car

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Ryanbabz71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2016, 01:03 PM   #14
Scottiemac

Drives: Black 2015 1ss/rs
That's one beautiful car.
Scottiemac is offline   Reply With Quote