Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Closed Thread

Old 11-22-2009, 03:39 PM   #1
UCF w00t
Geek

Drives: IOM 2010 Camaro 2SS
"VIN lists will be out shortly"

In a post from July 21st, fbodfather promised that "VIN lists will be out shortly" for the manual transmission SS's that are affected by the weakened output shaft.

It is now November 22nd and, as far as we know, not a single person has been notified. I never received any sort of notification and my car with 4300+ miles on it had it's transmission output shaft snap. I was not doing any smoky burnout but was using a feature of the car, launch control, in a controlled environment. I had to get the car towed to a dealership and about 6 days later, was back in my car with a new transmission. As fbod had said in other threads, if I wasn't doing 6k RPM clutch dumps I should be fine. Even then, if I did a couple and it didn't break, I had nothing to worry about. This proved not to be true either.

The earliest car we know of was #5656 and last just shy of 19000. It appears that not every car in that range is affected. But the 'range' could easily be much larger. GM placed a hold around 20k and removed it around 25k. Does this mean that cars built after 25k don't have the problem? We just don't know because GM refuses to own up to it. If you're one of the people who have had this happen, please post your info in this thread.

Is it possible to fix the problem without grenading your transmission? The current situation is that they'll replace the whole transmission (~$4300) if it breaks. But why not fix the shaft on the affected vehicles before that time? Maybe they would have to replace the transmission anyways? If this is the case, I would still much rather schedule it and drive it in myself than have to get my car towed on it's schedule.

So GM, it's time to come clean. An official statement was made that affected owners would be notified. Was this all just a lie to get the problem to go away? If you're going to make a promise, you need to live up to it. And if you later realize that it's impossible to live up to, tell us and explain why.

It's been 4 months. Even my microwave would've gotten this problem figured out by now.
Old 11-22-2009, 03:58 PM   #2
CWI
Helping Build America

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS,LS3 2013 Duramax 3500HD
Same thing happened with the spoiler nuts. That was blamed on a faulty torque wrench but taken care of in the 3000 something VINs. Why was it still a problem with later VINs?
Old 11-22-2009, 04:03 PM   #3
RJT-Maro
Emerald Coast Camaros

Drives: 2010 Supercharged RJT SS!
Send a message via AIM to RJT-Maro
Quote:
Originally Posted by UCF w00t View Post
In a post from July 21st, fbodfather promised that "VIN lists will be out shortly" for the manual transmission SS's that are affected by the weakened output shaft.

It is now November 22nd and, as far as we know, not a single person has been notified. I never received any sort of notification and my car with 4300+ miles on it had it's transmission output shaft snap. I was not doing any smoky burnout but was using a feature of the car, launch control, in a controlled environment. I had to get the car towed to a dealership and about 6 days later, was back in my car with a new transmission. As fbod had said in other threads, if I wasn't doing 6k RPM clutch dumps I should be fine. Even then, if I did a couple and it didn't break, I had nothing to worry about. This proved not to be true either.

The earliest car we know of was #5656 and last just shy of 19000. It appears that not every car in that range is affected. But the 'range' could easily be much larger. GM placed a hold around 20k and removed it around 25k. Does this mean that cars built after 25k don't have the problem? We just don't know because GM refuses to own up to it. If you're one of the people who have had this happen, please post your info in this thread.

Is it possible to fix the problem without grenading your transmission? The current situation is that they'll replace the whole transmission (~$4300) if it breaks. But why not fix the shaft on the affected vehicles before that time? Maybe they would have to replace the transmission anyways? If this is the case, I would still much rather schedule it and drive it in myself than have to get my car towed on it's schedule.

So GM, it's time to come clean. An official statement was made that affected owners would be notified. Was this all just a lie to get the problem to go away? If you're going to make a promise, you need to live up to it. And if you later realize that it's impossible to live up to, tell us and explain why.

It's been 4 months. Even my microwave would've gotten this problem figured out by now.

If you are so worried about it, why don't you take it to the dealer or somebody to take a look at it??

And not every person who owns a 5th Gen is on Camaro5??.. So yeah.
Magnuson TVS 2300 Supercharger, ARH 1 7/8 LT Headers with 3" X-Pipe, Borla S-Type Axle-Back, DMH Low Profile Exhaust Cut-Outs, MTI Racing CAI, Stage 2 Camshaft(227/239 .614/.624) with new springs, Katech C5R Z Timing Chain, LS7 Bowtie Damper, MTI Hot Spark Plug Wires, MTI Racing Lowering Springs and Swaybars, Aluminum Oil Catch Can, 160 Degree Thermostat, MTI Tune. 554RWHP 528RWTQ Built By: MTI Racing Dyno Sheet here
Old 11-22-2009, 04:08 PM   #4
UCF w00t
Geek

Drives: IOM 2010 Camaro 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by RJT-Maro View Post
If you are so worried about it, why don't you take it to the dealer or somebody to take a look at it??

And not every person who owns a 5th Gen is on Camaro5??.. So yeah.

Mine broke and got a new transmission. I was never notified. We were told that if we didn't get a phone call we were fine. None of the other folks who have had theirs break were notified either. Who did they notify then?
Old 11-22-2009, 04:15 PM   #5
RJT-Maro
Emerald Coast Camaros

Quote:
Originally Posted by UCF w00t View Post

Mine broke and got a new transmission. I was never notified. We were told that if we didn't get a phone call we were fine. None of the other folks who have had theirs break were notified either. Who did they notify then?
But Scott said that if you were doing 6k+ clutch dumps it will eventually break because of that...
Magnuson TVS 2300 Supercharger, ARH 1 7/8 LT Headers with 3" X-Pipe, Borla S-Type Axle-Back, DMH Low Profile Exhaust Cut-Outs, MTI Racing CAI, Stage 2 Camshaft(227/239 .614/.624) with new springs, Katech C5R Z Timing Chain, LS7 Bowtie Damper, MTI Hot Spark Plug Wires, MTI Racing Lowering Springs and Swaybars, Aluminum Oil Catch Can, 160 Degree Thermostat, MTI Tune. 554RWHP 528RWTQ Built By: MTI Racing Dyno Sheet here
Old 11-22-2009, 04:32 PM   #6
Andro
NOICE!!! ™

Drives: Force Fed 427
Old 11-22-2009, 04:47 PM   #7
savage71ChevelleSS

Drives: 2010 Camaro 1SS Imperial Blue
Quote:
Originally Posted by RJT-Maro View Post
But Scott said that if you were doing 6k+ clutch dumps it will eventually break because of that...
I don't believe the man was doing 6k clutch dumps, read the post again

Old 11-22-2009, 04:54 PM   #8
ShowTime

Drives: 2010 IOM M6 2SS/RS
1100 Preliminary Order Accepted (10/26)
2500 Preferenced (11/03), 3000 Accepted by Production Control(11/04/09) TPW (11/23)
3300 Scheduled for Production (11/11), 3400 Order broadcast (11/12/09), 3800 Order produced (11/25)
4150 Produced, Invoiced and Available to ship (11/25), 4200 Shipped (11/26), 4800 Rail Ramp Unload (12/4)
5000 Delivered to the dealer (12/7)
6000 Delivered to customer (12/10/09)
Old 11-22-2009, 05:39 PM   #9
CamaroSpike23
Truth Enforcer

Drives: anything I can get my hands on
Send a message via Yahoo to CamaroSpike23
Define "shortly"
Originally Posted by BowtieGuy View Post
Nobody makes CamaroSpike happy. You just disgust him a little less than other people.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WheelmanSS View Post
Post count is truly an accurate measure of how cool someone is on the Internet.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Norris View Post
I piss excellence
and fart awesomeness
"You can think I'm wrong, but that's no reason to quit thinking.”
Quote:
Originally Posted by Overflow View Post
But not all people were born awesome like you, Spike.
Old 11-22-2009, 05:47 PM   #10
RJT-Maro
Emerald Coast Camaros

Quote:
Originally Posted by savage71ChevelleSS View Post
I don't believe the man was doing 6k clutch dumps, read the post again

Any clutch dumps, using launch control will eventually(if it is done enough times) break the output shaft or could just blow the entire transmission.

When you are doing clutch dumps, and you let off, the Transmission Revs and the Engine Revs aren't matched up which can cause a piece of the transmission Teeth(in this case 1st gear) break of and get jammed in the bottom.

That leads to broken output shafts and blown transmissions.
Attached Images

Old 11-22-2009, 05:48 PM   #11
RJT-Maro
Emerald Coast Camaros

Quote:
Originally Posted by CamaroSpike23 View Post
Define "shortly"
Old 11-22-2009, 06:04 PM   #12
Mr. Wyndham
I used to be Dragoneye...

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
Send a message via AIM to Mr. Wyndham
Forgive me, UCF....but to contain any silly panic du'jour....

This thread will be re-opened shortly.

Closed Thread