Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing

Old 03-20-2014, 10:06 AM   #1
Devon
Highway Man

Drives: '10 2SS/RS
Problem with "choppy" steering after PS hose change.

Recently my '10 SS sprung a leak in the return line for my power steering. Since I live hours away from the nearest GM dealership I brought it in to the local mechanic. I asked that they order the proper replacement hose and repair it to proper spec.

Instead of doing so, the mechanic just spliced in a piece of generic hose with hose clamps and topped up the fluid. He told me the steering was choppy through the wheel because there were air bubbles in the fluid that he couldn't get out of the system because he couldn't find a bleeder valve of any kind, but he was sure that would go away soon. It's been 2 weeks and its getting worse.

I checked the level and noticed very frothy fluid in the resivior. And it was low. So I topped it up to proper levels but the problem persists.

So I would like to completely drain out the system and replace it with new fluid. I know enough about mechanics to be confident about my work, but I'm not very familiar with modern power steering systems so I don't want to open a can of worms. What I would like to know is the following:

1. Where is the best place to open the line to drain the fluid?
2. Is there a bleeder valve in the system or not?
3. Best way to re-fill fluid to prevent air bubbles in the system?
4. Any other tips, tricks or special tools I need that other members know of that could be of help?

I know the best thing to do is to bring the car to GM and have them do it, but my work schedule won't allow it for the time being. And my car is out of warranty so if I can do the work properly myself and save a few bux I will. I don't trust the local mechanic to touch my car again so that's not an option either.
Devon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2014, 03:16 PM   #2
Rock-It Man
376 cubic inches of fun

Drives: 2023 Camaro ZL1 A10
You need an adapter that allows you to draw a vacuum on the reservoir. That's what the shop manual says. Disclaimer: I've never done this procedure.

http://www.oreillyauto.com/site/c/de...0678&ppt=C0067
Rock-It Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2014, 12:37 PM   #3
Devon
Highway Man

Thanks for the link. I thought I might need something like that.
Old 03-24-2014, 10:54 AM   #4
cypressh
Canadian

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2SS/RS
i have replaced my power steering return "pressure" line twice this winter and each time it is choppy but will go away in a couple days with me driving it. If it is still choppy after 2 weeks I'd Question the integrity of the hose that the mechanic used to splice your line and say that it is still pulling in air.
cypressh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2014, 09:23 PM   #5
Devon
Highway Man

I found that the clamp used on the line wasn't tightening enough and letting a little air seep in, so I changed it out to a more proper size and torqued it down evenly with some heat. Steering is smoothing out nicely now. Just a little wiggle nearing full lock.