Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro ZL1 Forum - ZL1 Specific Topics > Engine | Exhaust | Bolt-On | Drivetrain Modifications

Old 06-14-2019, 06:44 PM   #1
Andeker

Drives: 2014 2SS/RS LS3
NPP question?

I recently purchased a lightly used 2013 ZL1. In my haste to sound cool I instantly pulled the fuse for the flaps. I have since decided I my want "quiet" on occasion and purchased the mild2wild switch. Before installing I put the fuse in just to check things. I started the car and was instantly confused. If I'm not mistaken momentarily after startup the flaps should close, but they stay open.

Am I wrong that the flaps are supposed to be closed at idle? When vehicle off actuators movable by hand. Are there any other common ways the previous owner May have defeated them? Most obvious mod is rotofab intake, so possibly has a tune. Could a tune turn off app?

Thanks in advance.
Andeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2019, 09:38 PM   #2
ZMEnow

Drives: ZL1, 2013, tri-coat-red, manual
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andeker View Post
I recently purchased a lightly used 2013 ZL1. In my haste to sound cool I instantly pulled the fuse for the flaps. I have since decided I my want "quiet" on occasion and purchased the mild2wild switch. Before installing I put the fuse in just to check things. I started the car and was instantly confused. If I'm not mistaken momentarily after startup the flaps should close, but they stay open.

Am I wrong that the flaps are supposed to be closed at idle? When vehicle off actuators movable by hand. Are there any other common ways the previous owner May have defeated them? Most obvious mod is rotofab intake, so possibly has a tune. Could a tune turn off app?

Thanks in advance.
They are open on cold starts until warm up.
ZMEnow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2019, 09:41 PM   #3
DrkPhx

Drives: 2013 Triple Black ZL1 / 2006 TB SS
Flaps are vacuum actuated and open at idle, close at part throttle and open at WOT. I have an exhaust controller that gives 2 options; closed at all times or factory settings. It's nice if you have headers to give a stealthier sound.
DrkPhx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2019, 08:56 AM   #4
Crash76
Team 913

Drives: '14 ZL1, '15 Jeep GC, ‘22 Ram 2500
I have a three way controller, open, closed, and stock
Crash76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2019, 04:10 PM   #5
raisingarizona

Drives: Acura MDX
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andeker View Post

Thanks in advance.
Only the Forza controller will provide an always closed option.
raisingarizona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2019, 07:23 PM   #6
RobZL1
fo'shizZL1

Drives: 2017 ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by raisingarizona View Post
Only the Forza controller will provide an always closed option.
That's not entirely true. It might be the only one you can purchase as a kit that does that, but you can also replace the relay and wire a 3-position switch to provide the always closed, always open, or stock options. The always closed position is great for cold starts in the morning and leaving the neighborhood.

Past Rides-
2014 ZL1 M6 Red Hot | Tons of mods
2004 CTS-V M6 Silver | Many mods
1995 Corvette M6 Torch Red | A few more mods
1992 Camaro M5 White | A few mods
RobZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2019, 06:46 AM   #7
FasNuf

Drives: 2014 Camaro ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by RobZL1 View Post
That's not entirely true. It might be the only one you can purchase as a kit that does that, but you can also replace the relay and wire a 3-position switch to provide the always closed, always open, or stock options. The always closed position is great for cold starts in the morning and leaving the neighborhood.
Can you PM me details on this relay?
FasNuf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2019, 08:37 AM   #8
RobZL1
fo'shizZL1

Drives: 2017 ZL1
I forgot that a relay is not required. You can do it that way, but all that's really needed is a 3-way switch that splices into one blue/yellow ground wire to control switch to ground. See this thread, posts 9, 12, and 14, and most importantly #79 and #134-139, 148, 151, 152, 160:

https://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=318683

The rest of the thread past #79 is pretty good, too. Shows where people have installed their switches. I like post #129, but mine was installed in the center console box by the original owner, like shown in #156. Works great, although I think I'm about to throw a SW catback on there to get a deeper tone.

Past Rides-
2014 ZL1 M6 Red Hot | Tons of mods
2004 CTS-V M6 Silver | Many mods
1995 Corvette M6 Torch Red | A few more mods
1992 Camaro M5 White | A few mods
RobZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2020, 11:31 PM   #9
FasNuf

Drives: 2014 Camaro ZL1
You can check out my video. You don't have to wire it as complicated. It only takes 3 wires and they dont need to be very thick either. You switching a ground signal to the ECM is all.
FasNuf is offline   Reply With Quote