Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 01-26-2021, 02:19 PM   #15
Lacpac

Drives: 2012 Crystal Red Tintcoat RS
Really surprised you have alot of drone with MRTV2. We have them and the drone is minimal, but that's subjective. It also mellows over time.
Lacpac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2021, 03:04 PM   #16
Dankmeme

Drives: 2012 Camaro RS 1lt
I expected some drone as im sure all exhausts have some but i never thought it would be this annoying at 2000 rpm. Dont get me wrong it sounds beautiful when you press the gas. However i usually have people in my car, if i am by myself i dont mind the drone as i always play music but when i want to lower it to speak to people as i drive. It gets super annoying for me and them so i came on here hoping for solutions. Putting on my old mufflers is not a solution as i would lose $600 and the price to put the old mufflers bsck on, mrt doesnt do returns if its used even for a couple of days. I need people with the same issue same exhaust who have done something to make it better.
Old 01-26-2021, 03:57 PM   #17
Batmanntexas

Drives: 2012 Camaro SS (2SS)
Get the J-pipes and don't look back....

-Scott

COTW 9/8/14
Batmanntexas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2021, 05:40 PM   #18
Moto-Mojo
Fast Cars and Old Guitars

Drives: 2015 2SS RS (L99, baby!)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Batmanntexas View Post

-Scott
Name:  Untitled.jpg
Views: 453
Size:  61.8 KB

Old 01-26-2021, 07:51 PM   #19
spyderbuddy

Drives: 2010 RS Inferno Orange Metallic
ON the V6 Engine Exhaust
We've already been thru this 1000 times
!DO NOT CUT THE MUFFLERS OFF! It does nothing but supply muffler shops your hard earned Money
This is all over the enternet V6 and L99 Engines have a J pype built into the Muffler
This J pype helps take out the Drone on the V6 And helps the L99 lose the drone when it goes into 4 Cyl Mode

One of the neatest mods on a v6 is to get a V8 L99 Exhaust (because it has the j pypes in the Mufflers) and you get a little bit of performance boost

in the L99 you can have the 4Cyl Mode tuned out so no real problem with swaping mufflers or cutting them out

Back to the V6 engines, i watched them do it time and time and time again
Delete mufflers sound good they say
2 weeks latter Getting a magnaflow Xpype Muffler Mid pipe, hoping it will kill the drone

Guys on the 2010's & 11's get headers great add to power
Guy's with the LFX Down pipe

Don't cut the Mufflers you will reget it
PCP Hideaway Headlight Covers, BBK Headers & High Flow Cats, ZL1 Add-ons Wicker Bill, TL1/ZL1 Hood Insert, Gen5 DIY Frameless Mirror, ABL Dash Lighting an My link Navigation, Blacked out Rear Bowtie, all Sylvania led Turn Signals, Ceramic Window Tint By Nicks, MBRP Exhaust tips, GEN5 DIY Virginia Legal DRL Harness, Painted Brake Calipers, Vittesse Throttle Controller, Heritage Grill, Diode Dynamics Led Lighting, Manual Shifter Boot, Paddle Shifters, CNC Throttle Body, Trifecta Tune, RX Catch Can & Breather, Trunk Black out and Side Grills, Chevorlet door Sills.
spyderbuddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2021, 08:57 PM   #20
Moto-Mojo
Fast Cars and Old Guitars

Drives: 2015 2SS RS (L99, baby!)
I went with the classic(?) muffler delete on my L99. Granted, I don't DD it but I have always like the sound and simplicity. Ok, one day I'd like some Borla's but went cheap at the time. (3 years ago)

As I said earlier here, I went for some bark and bite. Got it and lived with it. But to each his own. Also, someone said it, the Camaro V6 was meant to be quiet. It's not a Ford GT.

But since I mentioned the "F word", drool over this bad boy a while!

https://www.ford.com/performance/gt/
Old 01-26-2021, 10:47 PM   #21
InFiD3ViL

Drives: 2010 CGM 2SS/RS LS3 Swapped A6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moto-Mojo View Post
I went with the classic(?) muffler delete on my L99. Granted, I don't DD it but I have always like the sound and simplicity. Ok, one day I'd like some Borla's but went cheap at the time. (3 years ago)

As I said earlier here, I went for some bark and bite. Got it and lived with it. But to each his own. Also, someone said it, the Camaro V6 was meant to be quiet. It's not a Ford GT.

But since I mentioned the "F word", drool over this bad boy a while!

https://www.ford.com/performance/gt/
I liked my muffler delete while I had it. But I did an X pipe at the same time, so that may have helped. Anyways, it was a massive improvement over stock for sure. Then I got longtubes and it was just ridiculously loud. Like Nascar loud.
2010 CGM Camaro 2SS LS3 Swapped A6 - GPI LS3 SS1 .647/.638, (224/237, 112 +4, 7º overlap) on CamMotion 8620 core, BTR Platinum .660" Dual Spring kit w/titanium retainers, CHE bronze trunnion upgrade, stock heads milled @ .015, Melling HV 10296 oil pump, TSP 1-7/8" long tube headers (W/Catless Off-road Pipes), Corsa Xtreme 3" Catback, GPI Ported/Rod Mod Intake, Stage 2 Ported Throttle Body, Vararam OTR CAI, Mike Norris Gen 2 catch can + GM 1LE clean side separator, 160º thermostat - Megan Racing adjustable coilovers (lowered 1.75"), MRR M017 10/11" wheels-Tuned by Ryan @ GPI
InFiD3ViL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2021, 02:08 PM   #22
Batmanntexas

Drives: 2012 Camaro SS (2SS)
Quote:
That would be a good start

COTW 9/8/14
Batmanntexas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2022, 02:26 PM   #23
Dankmeme

Drives: 2012 Camaro RS 1lt
Quote:

-Scott
So I have finally decided to do this solution since now i take 2 hour drives daily back and forth. I tolerated the exhaust for a while but now its just a nuisance. I was wondering if you have a link to j pipes that i can buy or pipes that a shop can cut to my specified measurements. I cannot find j pipes anywhere and I am not sure of the exact sizes that id need when buying the pipe.
I know the measurement to make the cut but not when buying. so if you have a link please let me know
Old 02-04-2022, 05:22 PM   #24
Aqua Blue RS/SS

Drives: ABM #93
Quote:
Originally Posted by xstuntman View Post
But did it make an extra 100 HP?

Put the stock exhaust back on.

OP has a six banger. Lesson is don't futz with the exhaust on a six unless you like the tractor-humped-a-ricer-and-gave- birth result. American made six cylinder cars will always sound like crap and have zero HP gains. GM did a lot of engineering to get it to sound as good as it does stock. Or maybe its just my old guy ears but i'm thinking not.
Now that’s a funny way to put it
ABM #2399 2SS/RS:SOLD
ABM #93 2SS/RS Black Rally stripes, Titanium Interior 4,000 miles: GM GFX side skirts and diffuser waiting on paint, GM dovetail, GM heritage, RPI ZL1 style splitter.
‘87 IROC-Z Iroc blue. all original unmolested with 50K miles.
Aqua Blue RS/SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2022, 01:22 PM   #25
myold88

Drives: SUMMIT WHITE 2SS/RS CAMARO
Quote:

-Scott
. The very first thing I did when I got my early '10 SS was to
install the Solo axle back J/Pipes. I have great sound with NO drone at any
RPM on my L99. I also put Dynamat insulation on my complete passenger floor
and wheel housings, etc. To me a 6 is a 6 no matter what you do but the
unibody insulation will greatly reduce the sound level inside of any Camaro.
Old 02-07-2022, 02:03 PM   #26
InFiD3ViL

Drives: 2010 CGM 2SS/RS LS3 Swapped A6
Quote:
It’s a resonant LOW frequency hum heard and almost felt in the cabin. It occurs when you screw with the factory exhaust.

Typically at cruising speed around the 2K rpm range. Maybe a little lower.
LOL. Its not from screwing with the factory exhaust alone. Its from screwing with the factory exhaust and replacing it with something either subpar or not doing enough proper research into a true 'Drone Free' design.

I am also guilty of this, but the noise from my car's ass is godly, therefore I live with it. One day, after I win the Florida Lottery, I will buy a Corsa Xtreme setup.
2010 CGM Camaro 2SS LS3 Swapped A6 - GPI LS3 SS1 .647/.638, (224/237, 112 +4, 7º overlap) on CamMotion 8620 core, BTR Platinum .660" Dual Spring kit w/titanium retainers, CHE bronze trunnion upgrade, stock heads milled @ .015, Melling HV 10296 oil pump, TSP 1-7/8" long tube headers (W/Catless Off-road Pipes), Corsa Xtreme 3" Catback, GPI Ported/Rod Mod Intake, Stage 2 Ported Throttle Body, Vararam OTR CAI, Mike Norris Gen 2 catch can + GM 1LE clean side separator, 160º thermostat - Megan Racing adjustable coilovers (lowered 1.75"), MRR M017 10/11" wheels-Tuned by Ryan @ GPI
InFiD3ViL is offline   Reply With Quote